Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 16:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Fire Hydrant featherweight, Main & Inferno Released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 07:03    Post subject:  Fire Hydrant featherweight, Main & Inferno Released
Subject description: They said it couldn't be done by a single man, 3 releases, 1 Variant Released at once!

I'm Building these 3 release all over again based on my reduced puppy FH_Jwm3.01b. Fat-free how great it is, isn't made for everyone, as i have found that out. So my only alternative is to give everyone a version that works fully, like samba, linneighborhood. So please wait until they are released. Or if you really want these ones I'll leave the links up untill I have a replacement for each one.

Thanks for everything

ttuuxxx

New links http://www.smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/FireHydrant/
OK here's the rundown, I made 3 versions and 1 variant

Fire Hydrant 3.0b featherweight3.0b.iso 131MB No Java - excellent for older computers with Pentium II, with 64Mb+ (maybe Pentium I )
latest Flash and Firefox

Fire Hydrant 3.0b FHmainAbi3.0b.iso 205MB Abiword (Main edition with Abiword) excellent for computers with Pentium II, with 128MB
latest Flash, Firefox,Java, Sunbird, Fostwire and a few more!

Fire Hydrant 3.0b FHmainOoffice3.0b.iso 270MB Open Office (Main edition with Open Office Cut-down) excellent for computers with Pentium II, with 128MB but 256MB recommended
latest Flash, Firefox,Java, Sunbird, Fostwire and a few more!

Fire Hydrant 3.0b Inferno3.0b.iso 447Mb Kitchen sink included! excellent for computers with Pentium III, with 256MB but 512 MB recommended
latest Flash,Firefox,Java, Sunbird, Frostwire and a tons more!

Thats just off my head, But hey tell me what you are using and which version so i can get a better estimate how Fire Hydrant is running.
Its just a rough estimate, because, my pc's are newer and have lots of memory, kind of hard to figure out. The only problem i have found is that when you close pfind down, it stays running in your processes so you have to manually kill it.

Also if you need LINNEIGHBORHOOD or SAMBA download this http://www.puppylinux.ca/pet2/linneighborhood-0.6.5patched.pet
install it and run it, it will ask you if you want to install samba, click yes and 17MB later you have it up and running Smile

If you need CUPS and it isn't working for you, download the latest one here a direct link http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/cups-install-v0.3.pup

My next versions in the future will have it included, I just found out it was missing, because These versions of Fire Hydrant is based on fat free. Other than that all should work fine. Smile

ttuuxxx

Last edited by ttuuxxx on Sat 16 Oct 2010, 18:02; edited 5 times in total
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 07:08    Post subject:  

Here's the direct page where you can read the spec's and the download links are located http://www.ttuuxxx.com/firehydrant/index01.html
Caneri

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 10:24    Post subject:
Subject description: meta-link

You are welcome ttuuxxx...

@klu9...I hope you caught this thread...ok..now do your magic and meta-link away Smile

klu9

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 13:36    Post subject:  

Laughing I only just started seeding Fire Hydrant 3.01a last night, and now the new versions are out.

@ caneri
metalinking is only useful if there are several hosts, not just one. but CoBlitzing could help (especially for that Kitchen sink: 447MB! How long until the first DVD-sized puplet? Very Happy )

CoBlitzed links for the new FireHydrant ISOs:
Caneri

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 13:55    Post subject:  

@klu9
ok...just wanted to let you know it is here.....if there are other mirrors that would be nice for the ttuuxxx and me.

Last edited by Caneri on Sun 25 Nov 2007, 15:59; edited 1 time in total
Centennial Puppy

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 14:19    Post subject: Fire Hydrant DVD?
Subject description: Can you make an ISO with all 4 puplets?

Can an ISO be made with all 4 puplets that can be burned ONCE to a dvd? Would love to test drive all 4 on one DVD instead of 4 cds. Thanks in advance.
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 14:51    Post subject:  

There is another way even without burning a CD/DVD every time.
Make frugal installs for every version you want to test.
Each is in it's own directory.

Following the Lin'N'Win project I started with Puppy 3.01 and have added 4.01 alpha. Every time you add a new version yo have to edit menu.lst

Use peppyy's puppysearch
edoc

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 16:08    Post subject:  

Can you put a link to your Lin'N'Win project in your sig?
Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
davec51

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 19:59    Post subject: Fire Hydrant (Main)
Subject description: Problem

I burned the Main version, booted it, and was delighted with the look, feel, and response. However, when I tried to copy the 300.sfs file to my hard drive, it failed. I tried it from various breeds of Puppy and from Windows 98, with the same result.
I have always copies the file to the hd, for speed and to make the cd drive usable.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 20:07    Post subject: Re: Fire Hydrant (Main)
Subject description: Problem

davec51 wrote:
I burned the Main version, booted it, and was delighted with the look, feel, and response. However, when I tried to copy the 300.sfs file to my hard drive, it failed. I tried it from various breeds of Puppy and from Windows 98, with the same result.
I have always copies the file to the hd, for speed and to make the cd drive usable.

Hi i have tried that and it worked for me, That was during the early stages, but what i suggest is that you boot with another Puppy Linux Distro, once you get to the desktop open the cd drive and change it to Fire Hydrant then move the 300.sfs. see if that works, maybe its mounted automatically because of previous installation also, that could also be the problem, if so then you might have to look on your hard drive for a previous version and rename the sfs to something else for time being, maybe .rar or .zip etc you can always change it back to .sfs later on without any damage to it:)
thanks ttuuxxx
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 20:22    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
Can you put a link to your Lin'N'Win project in your sig?
Well it's not my project.
I just got the link somewhere, here I think.
http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/contents.htm

Use peppyy's puppysearch
Centennial Puppy

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2007, 22:42    Post subject:  

Beem,thanks for the tip.

Ttuuxxxx,downloaded and tried Inferno for a 1.4ghz laptop w/640 ram. Do I have enough machine for this? Very responsive but I'm spoiled by the speed of regular puppy 301 and Seamonkey. I think Firefox is slower than Seamonkey. (fyi-I edited xorg.conf for a touchpad.)

I have another laptop, 650ghz w/256 ram. If I can put Inferno and Featherweight on the same cd or dvd then I can use the best hydrant for each machine- one for home,one for office, all on one media.

Thanks for the efforts
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 00:19    Post subject:  

Centennial Puppy wrote:
Beem,thanks for the tip.

Ttuuxxxx,downloaded and tried Inferno for a 1.4ghz laptop w/640 ram. Do I have enough machine for this? Very responsive but I'm spoiled by the speed of regular puppy 301 and Seamonkey. I think Firefox is slower than Seamonkey. (fyi-I edited xorg.conf for a touchpad.)

I have another laptop, 650ghz w/256 ram. If I can put Inferno and Featherweight on the same cd or dvd then I can use the best hydrant for each machine- one for home,one for office, all on one media.

Thanks for the efforts

1.4ghz laptop w/640 ram yes for inferno

laptop, 650ghz w/256 ram yes for featherweight or main abiword possible to use main open office but thats a bit pushing it, but it you make a good swap drive live 2gigs+ you should be laughing.
Best way to find out is try featherweight in your 650ghz w/256
open up all the desktop applications and then surf with firefox, maybe open 15 or so pages, if that works and it isn't slow, then i would use the main open office. Just to be on the safe side Smile
ttuuxxx
tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 00:41    Post subject: Re: Fire Hydrant featherweight, Main & Inferno Released
Subject description: They said it couldn't be done by a single man, 3 releases, 1 Variant Released at once!

ttuuxxx wrote:

Fire Hydrant 3.0b FHmainOoffice3.0b.iso

Fire Hydrant 3.0b Inferno3.0b.iso 447Mb

Thats just off my head, But hey tell me what you are using and which version so i can get a better estimate how Fire Hydrant is running

Tried both of the above livecd....have the following problems:

No audio....I can hear the spealer "pop"....but no sounds.

CUPS not working....browser reports that localhost:631 can not be found.

Any hints to solve above would be appreciated.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2007, 01:24    Post subject: Re: Fire Hydrant featherweight, Main & Inferno Released

tlchost wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

Fire Hydrant 3.0b FHmainOoffice3.0b.iso

Fire Hydrant 3.0b Inferno3.0b.iso 447Mb

Thats just off my head, But hey tell me what you are using and which version so i can get a better estimate how Fire Hydrant is running

Tried both of the above livecd....have the following problems:

No audio....I can hear the spealer "pop"....but no sounds.

CUPS not working....browser reports that localhost:631 can not be found.

Any hints to solve above would be appreciated.

well a simple way of fixing cups is installing http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/cups-install-v0.3.pup
also have you configured ALSA sound wizard? just go to menu/setup/ALSA sound Wizard and that should fix your problem once you run it, you might have to try different ones, usually around 4 to choose from, Smile ttuuxxx
Page 1 of 9 [125 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: