Help me make my version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Fido

Help me make my version

#1 Post by Fido »

Hi all,
I have set up Puppy (2.16) exactly as I like it (nice looks, firefox, thunderbird, various themes etc).
I would like to create a CD so that the next time I install I get to where I am now as quickly as possible; in effect my own derivative.
I know this re-install is going to be soon as my HD is on the way out.
I have no dvd burner so its got to be to CD and my "used space" as shown in GParted partition manager is 963,14 mb.
Is this going to be possible (if so how) or is the file size already too big for a standard cd? (im hoping for some compression during the burning process. ever the optimist .-).

Any help gratefully received...

raffy

full install?

#2 Post by raffy »

Is that a full install to HD? If so, the new ISO (for burning CD) will be about 1/3 of that. You will need ext2 space for saving the remaster (even only while it is running). Burn to CD immediately if you have no more space for saving the ISO.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello Fido,
Basically the way I see it ( If someone knows an easier way please let us know) is that you boot up Puppy 2.16 Live, add the extra apps you want, change icons, wallpapers etc etc to how you like then using "Dougal Enhanced Remastere CD" app from the menu, burn your new version and this now becomes you master CD for re-installs.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Fido

Solved

#5 Post by Fido »

Hurrah!!!

Fantastic. Thanks for the help Guys. I used the Douglas enhanced remaster CD and it worked brilliantly (well it would have done if Id remembered to put an EMPTY disk in. Doh!)

Douglas gives you the choice of burning a CD straight from the files it make of your system or making an ISO.
If anyone else out there wants a go at this I would always go the .iso route. Tried it the first time (ok 2nd) directly from the files and although it made a disk it came up with disk errors half way through booting.

Very happy now as I can do a re-install (once my new hard drive arrives) in about 5 minutes!
Puppies eh, you just gotta luv em!
Just because youre paranoid doesnt mean theyre NOT out to get you!