NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download

News, happenings
richhard

#41 Post by richhard »

the good news: with rev1 the install of dotpup is straight and works now perfect :lol: !!

The bad news: the Gxine media player now stops to work at all :evil:

The xine engine failed to start.
No input plugin was found.
Maybe the file does not exist or cannot be accessed, or there is an error in the URL.

or from the gxine setup wizard:

Health Check Results
video_out_xv: No adaptors found.
You can improve performance by installing an X11
driver that supports the Xv protocol extension.

How can I fix this ?? :cry:
Anyway, media player seems to be a problem with Linux ?!
With Puppy 2.17 there was no such problem at all !!

richhard

#42 Post by richhard »

Additionally I tried VLC player (with Puppy software installer):
it works without problem, also in full-screen mode,
BUT: now I have a vertical grid of red lines in the picture!!

Is it possible to fix this??

It is unbelievable how difficult it is under Linux to have a media
player, which is usable and working! :evil:
With Ubuntu 7.10 the same difficulties, but at least VLC player can be used.

I ask myself, what has changed?? Many suffer from the same problem,
but nobody really try to find the root cause.

Henry

xfce and nop 3.01

#43 Post by Henry »

Gray, I've been using NOP 3.01 for a few days now, and of course I can't say anything better than what's been said by several others here so I won't try.

I used your previous version for a long time until Puppy 3 progressed ahead. But now I've moved back to your new NOP again. So easy to make the puppy one wants without the puzzles and perils of unleashed remastering. And with the advances in petget, PSI, and Gslapt it's much easier and safer.

Not only that, but you made things presentable, clear, and - most importantly, took the time to fix a few things! This is one to build on, and I trust you will continue to maintain it.

XFCE is a bit of a mouthful to swallow and digest after having Rox burned into one's brain, but, with Thunar, it's very usable. (No way would I submit to KDE.)

(OK, of course I do have a question - how does one define hot keys to launch applications? That was sooo easy with ROX. I'm sure it is here too, but I missed it.)

trapster

#44 Post by trapster »

how does one define hot keys to launch applications?
Try the keyboard option in the xfce settings manager.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Henry

#45 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Trapster, I was looking at it cross-eyed I suppose. In the meantime I have spent a day or so working with XFCS, and it is superb. Seems it can do practically anything while keeping the appearance and usability very simple.

I have adopted NOP 3.01 as my working puppy. Dumped my config file that had been upgraded through numerous versions and rebuilt from scratch, resulting in a much smaller slicker puppy. 3.01 final was pretty good, but NOP is so much better, at least for my use. (Watching puppy 4 from the sidelines - spectator sport for me.)

setecio

#46 Post by setecio »

NOP sounds great, just burnt a CD and having a look.

I downloaded NOP3.01r1, but noticed when it was loading it said, in the first red boot up text with boot options, Puppy 3.00 ...... should it be 3.01, or is this just a typing error as opposed to a version error.

Henry

Location of Opera files in Nop 3.01, etc.

#47 Post by Henry »

Setecio wrote:
"I downloaded NOP3.01r1, but noticed when it was loading it said, in the first red boot up text with boot options, Puppy 3.00 ...... should it be 3.01, or is this just a typing error as opposed to a version error."
That is normal.
--------------------------------
Now to my question - I use a live cd with nop 3.01 and a .2fs config file on the hard drive. Actually I use several config files from which I choose one at boot. This is done for reasons of different situations, backups, history of changes, etc. Perfectly normal. I keep each config file in its own named folder to avoid problems from renaming it. And I put an icon on the desktop that reminds me which config I am using ;-)

Each of these configs has access to the same common data also on the hard drive, i.e photos, docs, . . .and email! The email storage is just another kind of shared data, at least for me. I do not want stored email to be different for different configurations or to take up space in the config file.. This is not a problem with Seamonkey. I simply place the Local Folders outside the config file. Can something similar be done with Opera?

Let me try to answer - suppose I am going from config 1 to 2. First I copy from config 1 /root/.opera (the mail, profiles, mookmarks, etc) to a common folder on the hard drive called, say mnt/home/.opera

Then I open puppy with config 2, to which I copy .opera from this folder over that in config 2.

But be careful; keep independent backups of email archives if they are as huge and important to you as they are to me. I am testing this, but will continue to use my legacy Eudora for business until puppy has an email client with matching mailboxes, attachments, and GPG!
I am very pleased with Nop 3.01 and XFCE.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 15 Dec 2007, 00:09, edited 2 times in total.

setecio

#48 Post by setecio »

Should NOP 3.01r1 be able to install abiword from the PETget package manager ? It installed easily in standard Puppy 3.01.

I have installed abiword-2.4.5:premier wordprocessor (and dependant fribidi), rebooted several times, but nothing happens when I try to open Abiword, either from the start-office-abiword wordprocessor, or from the usr-bin-abiword.

Am I missing a dependancy (when I try installing it via PSI07 it lists libgnomecanvas-2.so.0 and libwmf-0.2.so.7 as missing) or does NOP require it done via the goffice.sfs ? If so where is the goffice_301.sfs, the wiki only links to a 2.17 version.

I love Nop, but just want to add abiword to it or goffice.
Last edited by setecio on Fri 07 Dec 2007, 21:21, edited 2 times in total.

Henry

#49 Post by Henry »

Well, that would be a question for Gray - I use the .sfs for openoffice 2 - you have to supply your own icons, if you care.

gray

Abiword

#50 Post by gray »

You can install abiword using petget but it seems to ignore some dependencies. It should pick up that it needs fribidi and install that automatically, but you will have to use petget to individually install libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintgui and goffice.

Then you need to edit the abiword.desktop file in /usr/share/applications to change the icon line to Icon=word48

Or you can just use the goffice sfs file from http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/

setecio

#51 Post by setecio »

OK, I've gone back to trying the goffice sfs from your link.

There is only goffice_217.sfs but no goffice_301.sfs.

I'm using NOP3.01r1 frugal, but tried goffice_217.sfs anyway.

I downloaded and saved it to /mnt/home but when I try Bootmanager configure bootup, it keeps telling me there are no sfs files in mnt/home, yet every time I look using Thunar, g0ffice_217.sfs IS in /mnt/home.

Is this a compatibility error and do I actually need goffice_301.sfs, if so where can I find it ...... or is there something simple I am missing to do this ? Why can't bootmanager config see goffice_217.sfs ... it is sitting in /mnt/home and I have rebooted several times, but it makes no difference.

EDIT : It must be something to do with the goffice_217.sfs since when I download openoffice-2.2.0.sfs to the same location it does show up in bootmanager but still no goffice_217, even though it is in the same folder /mnt/home .

Henry

#52 Post by Henry »

I haven't checked in this case, but for some sfs files it's necessary to rename the 217 part to 301. Maybe . .

setecio

#53 Post by setecio »

Henry wrote:I haven't checked in this case, but for some sfs files it's necessary to rename the 217 part to 301. Maybe . .
Thanks Henry - that did the trick! :D

As mentioned in other's previous posts (pg1) , it hasn't appeared in any of the menus, but I'm hoping it will soon, if not i will learn how to add it.

EDIT : after 5 minutes Abiword and Gnumeric have now appeared in the Office menu. :D

setecio

#54 Post by setecio »

Congrats on an excellent puplet / derivative. I've a few old boxes which have arrived this year from various sources and am now confident enough to stick NOP onto them and pass them on to family and friends. (They were edging thier way to the dump)

It has a nice 'XP' feel about it which is great for the un-linuxed. I find goffice is a great basic WP + spreadsheet without the mass of OO for the less powerful boxes.

I suggest you put a second copy of goffice_217.sfs in http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop/ and rename it goffice_301.sfs so that it just works.

You mentioned in earlier posts that you didn't know what triggered the links in the menus to appear. I don't know if it is coincidence, but I noticed they appeared soon after I opened abiwork and gnumberic by using Thunar to click on them in /usr/bin, and then rebooted.

How can I add an Icon for AbiWord into the icon menu that pops down from the top of the screen?

Nice job. Thanks. :D :D :D

dr_spork

#55 Post by dr_spork »

NOP is the best thing ever. I'm way impressed with the icon improvements especially. I've been trying to build a custom puppy with XFCE and Opera for days now and it's broken three times and still come out ugly in the end. It makes me infinitely happy to have found a ready-made version that fits basically that exact description of the thing I was trying to do hopelessly on my own. Thanks!

gray

Xfce panel

#56 Post by gray »

Setecio, it is really easy to add applications to the panels :D . Just right lick on the panel to get a menu and select 'Add New Item'. In the popup highlight Launcher and click on Add. In this next popup use the folder icons to select the application (or enter text) and an icon. When the app is in the panel you can right click on it to get a menu to move it anywhere you like in the panel 8) .

I will add a goffice_301 as you suggested to save confusion :oops:

setecio

#57 Post by setecio »

Excellent, it gets better and better .... and a battery monitor too :D

gray

Puppy 301 NOP rev2

#58 Post by gray »

NOP updated to revision 2. Only minor changes, see first post.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#59 Post by Lobster »

:D Downloaded and looking good . . . 8)

The first thing I tried was installing "Secondlife"
I started off with a slackware bz2 file but the decompiling seemed to take too long

This is how I decompiled

Code: Select all

bzip2 -d <archivefile.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -
Gonna try something else instead

I am hoping an updated WNop will be produced
maybe others will decide to use this as a basis for their ideas

We already have a Chinese NOP and my own Tmxxine Shard 8)

Many thanks
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Always refreshing to use a distro that works and to re-acquaint myself with the superior speed and functionality of Opera - video streaming is just so good, too. Keep up the good work, gray.

Now that you've got the 'save session' option on the shutdown panel you may be able to dispense with the whole save screen? Can we start putting acpi=force into menu.lst by default, please? Had a word with Dougal about this. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects and is a nice refinement for those chipsets that stick at 'Power Down' regardless of BIOS settings.