Tecra/Protege stops booting at Xvesa and Xorg (SOLVED)

Please post any bugs you have found
rerwin

Debug version now in the download file.

#41 Post by rerwin »

Mat, thanks for your response. I ran out of explanations; but I think you have found it! 64MB is a bit tight. (If you make the laptop work satisfactorily for you, you might consider adding RAM to speed it up.)

Assuming the laptop has a hard drive, you could boot from the CD and I think that situation creates a swap file wherever it can find space. But avoid having it go into an NTFS partition, as the performance is reportedly impacted. Or make a small (64M-128M) swap partition or file; there are several ways, but we can work on that if you need help.

My news for everyone else not getting the latest version of the fix to work is that I have replaced the download file with one that contains both the latest version and one containing debug messages. They will verify that the fix is actually running and show whether it finds a match or what it is trying to match. (The oem: line may be surrounded by periods (.), to reveal any extra spaces.)

The debug version, xorgwizard2d, will show other lines along with the pink "probing" lines. They will remain on the screen for 15 seconds, so press ctrl-c to keep them longer. If it still hangs, please tell me what messages are displayed. The last should be an oem: line of some sort. If you just wait, the long video-mode list should appear.

Richard

dalderton

#42 Post by dalderton »

Richard . I am using 3.0.1 and I have renamed the file xorgwizard and the xorgwizard box comes up but when I click on xorg then the hang happens as in the original. ddcprobe is
oem: Trident CYBER 8820
I notice on the xorgwizard2 file it is shown as Trident Cyber 8820 I dont know if this is significant. We soldier on Regards Dennis
EDIT I wrote this before your latest post Richard so let me know if the CYBER is significant.I can fix it on the last xorgwizard2 file and try it if you wish..Dennis

dalderton

#43 Post by dalderton »

Richard Its not what you write,its the way that you write it. I changed the oem line in the original xorgwizard2 to oem: Trident CYBER 8820 and remastered it on the original Puppy Unleashed bootable CD 3.0.1 and the burnt disk worked perfectly on my Toshiba TE 2000. On one oem line there was no gap from the colon plus the CYBER was Cyber and on the next line the gap was there but CYBER was again Cyber. Anyway it is now working flawlessly. It has been a pleasure to do business with you.
The only thing left is to get the Toshiba Modem to work on Puppy?????
Regards Dennis

rerwin

All resolved! Ready to be integrated.

#44 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, Dennis, for your clarification. Assuming Mat's problem is with low RAM, with enough he can probably run without the fix.

I have uploaded a cleaned-up version of both scripts, ready for more people to try with other laptops.

Dougal, I think this added logic is ready for your consideration to integrate with your development version of xorgwizard.

Thank you to all who have helped me get to this point with the fix.

Richard

youb

#45 Post by youb »

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to find a way to run puppy with my 64mb and no cd-rom or disk drive... Seems feasible according to some posts on this forum. Regards,
Mat

rerwin

Follow-up comments

#46 Post by rerwin »

Dennis, I would like to know if you get your modem to work. The one on my Tecra does not, apparently because a linux driver was never written for that propriatary winmodem. I hope yours is different. I recommend not using the new PupDial probe option to find it, as it may not look for the right thing or may misidentify it. Try the old modem wizard from the command line: modem-wizard.

Start by trying ttyLT0; if it fails it may be that no other will appear to work either, so try the others only after restarting the wizard or even rebooting to a fresh system (maybe with pfix=ram).

Mat, I think that even if you get Puppy to run in only 64MB, it will not be able to do anything useful. At minimum, try one of the "puplet" projects targeted for low-memory systems -- BarelyPup or try the new Puppy 4.00 alpha.

Do you want to run without a hard drive because the laptop has none, or because you dare not add anything to your partitions? If you have a little disk space, you can add a swap file from a boot-up with pfix=nox. The commands are (but substitute for "hda3" if necessary):

Code: Select all

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/data
dd if=/dev/zero of =/mnt/data/pupswap.swp bs=1K count=96K
mkswap /mnt/data/pupswap.swp
umount /mnt/data
The next problem is to use the swap file. "swapon /dev/hda3" should do it. If it fails, try rebooting the same way (pfix=nox) and enter the swapon again.

If you cannot use a hard drive and you are considering keeping and using the laptop, and there is a free RAM slot, look into acquiring another 64MB RAM stick appropriate for your laptop. Or 128MB if you have to replace a stick.

I have succeeded in running BareltPup on my 32MB Internet Appliance by making a 100MB swap file on the IDE compact flash drive I put Puppy on, even though I expect that will shorten its lifespan. It works, but I can run only two applications at once, maximum; otherwise it gets painfully sluggish. Looking forward to trying 4.00-alpha.

Re the fixed script: I have made it match on an entire line, to avoid matching lines that have more on them than the expected text. It works on my two laptops.

That appears to conclude my work on this fix, unless someone needs another video adapter added to the list -- please post needed additions here or by PM to me. Thanks, again, for all your participation in this.

Richard

youb

#47 Post by youb »

Thanks for your reply, sorry... but by no disk drive, I meant no floppy disk drive... I am currently considering partitioning my hdd to make a swap part. I found this thread which seems interesting :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 142&t=5946

I will also consider the other alternatives you gave me. These are my first postings here, I'm not sure but I think it might be good to start a new thread if I have further questions (I think this is "off-topic" here isn't it ?).
Regards, Mat

DaveR

Satellite 1805S203

#48 Post by DaveR »

OK I'm back to bug you again.

Followed your Nov 17 directions - both of them - with the same result as before - system hang after the pink probing line flashes on the screen.

Followed your Nov 18 directions - using xorgwizard2d - with the same result as before - complete system hang after the pink probing line flashes on the screen. Only thing different is that there was a white line above the pink one. The screen is blank - no cursor - no messages.

I have a whopping 256 MB of RAM ;-) so that shouldn't be a problem.

What puzzles me more than anything is that Xubuntu 7.10 loaded like a charm and runns very well. So what's different between the two??

dalderton

#49 Post by dalderton »

Richard No I have not got my modem working on my Te2000, After your success with this thread I thought that you might have some ideas.AH Well Regards Dennis

rerwin

DaveR's problem laptop

#50 Post by rerwin »

DaveR, thanks for continuing to pursue this problem. My debug version is giving us more to work with.

I assume that the white line you see is "Debug version of xorgwizard fixed to handle some Tecras and Porteges" that indicates the debug verion is really running. The pink line precedes invocation of the command "Xorg -configure". If that command completes, you should see the message "Returned from probing."; since you don't see it, I conclude that the Xorg command is what is hanging up.

So your problem is different than the fix addresses. But try something before we take this conversation to a new thread, probably in the Beginners or Users forum.

Boot up with "pfix=ram,nox" to keep things clean. At the prompt enter "Xorg -configure" and hope that it displays something before it hangs. That might give us a clue.

Another thing to check, booting up the same way, is to enter "Xvesa -listmodes". If that works it means that the fix is not needed for your laptop, because it doesn't hang -- that is what the fix would prevent.

And the other thing to try, if you haven't already, is to select the Xvesa option instead of Xorg, to see if anything will work.

Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 21 Nov 2007, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

dalderton

#51 Post by dalderton »

Richard Just as a late final I remastered a disc with the debugged xorgwizard2d on my TE2000 and it worked fine.It took a little longer than the other but had the same result.Perhaps a line with "Please Wait"where the adapter is named would be good.
A quick explanation of the remaster might help some who follow this thread.I save your xorgwizard file on my desktop computer then switch it off and boot with the live puppy cd. Open /usr/sbin and rename xorgwizard "xold" then use pmount to open hda1 and copy xorgwizard2d to /usr/sbin on the live setup.Rename it xorgwizard then go to Setup>Remaster Puppy Live-cd and follow the prompts .There is nothing more to add so follow the advice on the boxs and you should finish up with a cd that will boot your Toshiba laptop.
Just to save confusion i have Puppy on the hard disc (hda1) on my desktop Computer.
Regards Dennis

DaveR

Satellite 1805 S203

#52 Post by DaveR »

DaveR, thanks for continuing to pursue this problem. My debug version is giving us more to work with.
Boot up with "pfix=ram,nox" to keep things clean. At the prompt enter "Xorg -configure -verbose" and hope that it displays something before it hangs.
Half a screen of white text flashes on screen disappearing before I could get any sense of what is there - complete system lock-up as before.

Another thing to check, booting up the same way, is to enter "Xvesa -listmodes". If that works it means that the fix is not needed for your laptop, because it doesn't hang -- that is what the fix would prevent.
After [Enter] cursor goes to next line and continues to flash. Waited a minute or so - nothing happens - [ctrl]c gives me back the # _ as if I had done nothing.
If I run Xvesa at that point cursor goes to next line and continues to flash. Waited a minute or so - nothing happens - [ctrl]c does nothing - [ctrl][alt][del] gives "Puppy is now shutting down..." - the save screen opens - select DNS - system restarts

And the other thing to try, if you haven't already, is to select the Xvesa option instead of Xorg, to see if anything will work.
puppy pfix=ram - Puppy Video Wizard window eventually opens - choose Xvesa - "Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse psaux..." - flashing cursor on next line - [ctrl]c does nothing - [ctrl][alt][del] gives "Puppy is now shutting down..." followed by enough lines of text to scroll the shutdown window half off the screen - then the save screen opens - select DNS - system restarts

Dave

Dougal

Re: DaveR's problem laptop

#53 Post by Dougal »

rerwin wrote:DaveR, thanks for continuing to pursue this problem. My debug version is giving us more to work with.
I'm not sure which version your xorwizard is based on, but at some stage I added to it redirection of errors into a log-file (exec 2>/tmp/xorgwizard-log-$$), so they could have a look at the log files in /tmp after running the wizard, maybe it'll give us some clue...
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

rerwin

#54 Post by rerwin »

Thanks, DaveR, for trying my suggestions, and Dougal, for coming to the rescue.

Your test of the Xvesa-listmodes command tells me that the fix would help if the script could get to that point; so it makes sense to keep the check for your adapter in the fix.

To get the white text to ramain on the screen, if you can run a text-mode editor -- e3, mp -- to modify the debug script, find all of the "clear" statements and comment them out (# as first character). Also, the next time you run the Xorg command, you can leave off the "-verbose" parameter to cut down the output that might bury the lines we really need to see.

The "Xorg -configure" both probes and creates a confuguration file. We can cut down on the complexity by using "Xorg -probeonly" instead. That will assure us that the problem is with the probing and not the file creation.

Dougal, I based the fix on the 3.01 version of the wizard; so it should have your enhancenment. The difficulty with checking your log file is that the laptop locks up such that ctrl-c won't break out of it. Can you think of another way to get a prompt or some way to capture the log?

Richard

DaveR

Satellite 1805 S203

#55 Post by DaveR »

Any way that I could edit some file to redirect the output to the pen drive? It would have to close the file and amend the next output or nothing will be flushed to the pen drive tho.

BTW using the 'mp' editor isn't a big deal.

Dave

rerwin

#56 Post by rerwin »

As I see it, the hang/lockup prevents anything from getting written anywhere from the intermediate buffers.

In these situations, people take digital photos of the screen. If the output from the Xorg command is insufficient, the log redirection in the script could be removed, so the output would go to the screen. But you may be able to view only the last, but most telling, screenful of data.

DaveR

Satellite 1805 S203

#57 Post by DaveR »

First try editing xorgwizard2d:
puppy pfix=ram,nox
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash -t vfat
mp /mnt/flash/xorgwizard2d
edited all the "clear" lines as '# clear'
saved as /usr/sbin/xorgwizard2d and /mnt/flash/x-wiz2d
xorgwizard2d
Puppy Video Wizard window opens after a few seconds
select 'xorg'
the white line and pink line briefly show below the Video Wizard and the screen goes black
played and won a game of solitaire
[ctrl]c doesn't work [ctrl][alt][del] doesn't work cycle power to quit

Next try Xorg -probeonly:
puppy pfix=ram,nox
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash -t vfat
Xorg -probeonly
EUREKA we finally have some hopefully meaningful messages AND an Xorg log file!
I'll attach a picture of the screen (several lines were scrolled off as it ran) and the Xorg log file

Hope this means something to you

Thanks for putting up with me and my psychotic 'puter

Dave

edit something won't let me attach the log file I'll have to paste in in line:
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/puppypc:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Slackware 12.0 Slackware Linux Project
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.21.7 #1 Sun Sep 9 02:29:54 GMT-8 2007 i686
Build Date: 09 May 2007
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Nov 22 13:41:29 2007
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(II) Loader magic: 0x81dcd60
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.3
X.Org Video Driver: 1.2
X.Org XInput driver : 0.7
X.Org Server Extension : 0.3
X.Org Font Renderer : 0.5
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libpcidata.so
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.3.0, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.2
(--) using VT number 3

(II) PCI: PCI scan (all values are in hex)
(II) PCI: 00:00:0: chip 10b9,1632 card 0000,0000 rev 01 class 06,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:01:0: chip 10b9,5247 card 0000,0000 rev 01 class 06,04,00 hdr 01
(II) PCI: 00:02:0: chip 10b9,5237 card 1179,0004 rev 03 class 0c,03,10 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:04:0: chip 10b9,5229 card 1179,0004 rev c3 class 01,01,f0 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:06:0: chip 10b9,5451 card 1179,0001 rev 01 class 04,01,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:07:0: chip 10b9,1533 card 1179,0004 rev 00 class 06,01,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:08:0: chip 10b9,7101 card 1179,0001 rev 00 class 06,80,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: 00:11:0: chip 1179,0617 card 1000,0000 rev 32 class 06,07,00 hdr 82
(II) PCI: 00:11:1: chip 1179,0617 card 1800,0000 rev 32 class 06,07,00 hdr 82
(II) PCI: 01:00:0: chip 1023,8620 card 1179,0001 rev 5d class 03,00,00 hdr 00
(II) PCI: End of PCI scan
(II) Host-to-PCI bridge:
(II) Bus 0: bridge is at (0:0:0), (0,0,6), BCTRL: 0x0008 (VGA_EN is set)
(II) Bus 0 I/O range:
[0] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0000ffff (0x10000) IX
(II) Bus 0 non-prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff (0x0) MX
(II) Bus 0 prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff (0x0) MX
(II) PCI-to-PCI bridge:
(II) Bus 1: bridge is at (0:1:0), (0,1,1), BCTRL: 0x0008 (VGA_EN is set)
(II) Bus 1 non-prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0xfe000000 - 0xff7fffff (0x1800000) MX
(II) Bus 1 prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x30000000 - 0x300fffff (0x100000) MX
(II) PCI-to-ISA bridge:
(II) Bus -1: bridge is at (0:7:0), (0,-1,-1), BCTRL: 0x0008 (VGA_EN is set)
(II) PCI-to-CardBus bridge:
(II) Bus 2: bridge is at (0:17:0), (0,2,5), BCTRL: 0x0580 (VGA_EN is cleared)
(II) Bus 2 I/O range:
[0] -1 0 0x00001000 - 0x000010ff (0x100) IX
[1] -1 0 0x00001400 - 0x000014ff (0x100) IX
(II) Bus 2 non-prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x24000000 - 0x27ffffff (0x4000000) MX
(II) Bus 2 prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x20000000 - 0x23ffffff (0x4000000) MX
(II) PCI-to-CardBus bridge:
(II) Bus 6: bridge is at (0:17:1), (0,6,9), BCTRL: 0x0580 (VGA_EN is cleared)
(II) Bus 6 I/O range:
[0] -1 0 0x00001800 - 0x000018ff (0x100) IX
[1] -1 0 0x00001c00 - 0x00001cff (0x100) IX[B]
(II) Bus 6 non-prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x2c000000 - 0x2fffffff (0x4000000) MX[B]
(II) Bus 6 prefetchable memory range:
[0] -1 0 0x28000000 - 0x2bffffff (0x4000000) MX[B]
(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) Trident Microsystems CyberBlade/i1 rev 93, Mem @ 0xff000000/23, 0xfefe0000/17, 0xfe000000/23
New driver is "trident"
(==) Using default built-in configuration (55 lines)
(==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
Section "Module"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "glx"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "record"
Load "dri"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default trident Device 0"
Driver "trident"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default trident Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default trident Device 0"
Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
Driver "fbdev"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
Identifier "Builtin Default vga Device 0"
Driver "vga"
EndSection
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default vga Screen 0"
Device "Builtin Default vga Device 0"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Builtin Default Layout"
Screen "Builtin Default trident Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0"
Screen "Builtin Default vga Screen 0"
EndSection
(==) --- End of built-in configuration ---
(==) ServerLayout "Builtin Default Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default trident Screen 0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Builtin Default Monitor"
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default trident Device 0"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0" (1)
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default fbdev Device 0"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vesa Screen 0" (2)
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default vesa Device 0"
(**) |-->Screen "Builtin Default vga Screen 0" (3)
(**) | |-->Device "Builtin Default vga Device 0"
(==) |-->Input Device "<default pointer>"
(==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"
(WW) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.
Using the default mouse configuration.
(WW) The core keyboard device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.
Using the default keyboard configuration.
(WW) No FontPath specified. Using compiled-in default.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.

Fatal server error:
No valid FontPath could be found.
Attachments
PuppyScrn0308.JPG
picture of screen
(70.56 KiB) Downloaded 786 times

rerwin

#58 Post by rerwin »

All riiight! That should be something we can work with, but need Dougal's help. The part that jumps out at me is:
(WW) No FontPath specified. Using compiled-in default.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/misc" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist.

Fatal server error:
No valid FontPath could be found.
Although "fatal" is generally overused, it does imply that xorg stopped abruptly, apparently due to lack of fonts. Maybe something has to be provided by the wizard to satisfy the need. Maybe that crash impacts generation of the config file, with the -configure option. What is your take, Dougal?

As for your difficulty uploading the log file, the forum requires files to be compressed; I use the (Utilities>) Xarchive archiver to do that.

As for your psycho-puter, I enjoy debugging, so see it as a challenge, but probably need outside help on this one. My interest is in removing obstacles to getting the old laptops to work with Puppy, at least the display part.

You have probably helped us solve a problem beyond the one I fixed. I hope others will try Puppy 3.01 (+) on their Toshibas and report any hang problems so their adapter can be added if the current fix doesn't help them.
Richard

Dougal

#59 Post by Dougal »

rerwin wrote:Although "fatal" is generally overused, it does imply that xorg stopped abruptly, apparently due to lack of fonts. Maybe something has to be provided by the wizard to satisfy the need. Maybe that crash impacts generation of the config file, with the -configure option. What is your take, Dougal?
That seems to me like he was trying to run with the xorg.conf generated from "Xorg -configure"...

Puppy has /etc/X11/xorg.conf0, which contains the correct font paths and which is used as the base for the final xorg.conf file (some of what the auto-config gives is added to it).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

DaveR

Satellite 1805 S203

#60 Post by DaveR »

I'm not sure how a file other than xorg.conf0 could be used since there seems to be no other xorg.(anything) file in /etc/X11. Looking at it, there does seem to be a path supplied however the Load "type1" and Load "freetype" occur before the FontPath is specified - is that the right order?

Just to check again:
puppy pfix=ram,nox
# __ appears
Xorg -probeonly - gives the same mess as yesterday.