Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 20:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Tecra/Protege stops booting at Xvesa and Xorg (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 12 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 11:31    Post_subject: New version of fixed xorgwizard
Sub_title: Makes user choose the appropriate video mode.

Dennis & Dave, please do not proagate the workaround that gets Dennis' laptop to work; it is not appropriate for general use because all video adapters would be treated the same.

I am attaching a new version of the wizard that should fix everyone's problem that has been reported. Instead of trying to substitute for the failing Xvesa results, it is consistent with the current design that lets the user choose a video mode if the wizard cannot determine it. (That's how my ThinkPads are handled, even though they do not hang like the Tecras/Porteges.) The "problem-adapters" file is no longer used, so the "remaster mess" is avoided.

In addition to checking for specific adapters, it looks for segment faults and failure to find the needed info from ddcprobe; that should take care of Mat's case. For Dennis, I included two tests for the 8820 because the "oem:" is always followed by a space; Dennis, please check your ddcprobe output and tell me which format is correct (with or without the space).

Please, would each of you try the new version, xorgwizard2, and give me feedback. Thanks.

(After copying/extracting xorgwizard2 to /usr/sbin, rename it to xorgwizard to have it run during bootup. Otherwise, when bootup hangs, ctrl-c out of the hang and enter xorgwizard2, then xwin.)
xorgwizard2.tar.gz
Description  File contains both a normal version, xorgwizard2, and a debug version for troubleshooting, xorgwizard2d.
Expect to see a long list of possible video modes to choose from..
gz

Download 
Filename  xorgwizard2.tar.gz 
Filesize  32.5 KB 
Downloaded  741 Time(s) 

Edited_times_total
DaveR

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 16:09    Post_subject: Satellite 1805 S203  

rewin, before I forget it my "oem:" is followed by 1 space - oem: Trident CYBER 8620
I'll give the new wizard a try in a little while
Dave
DaveR

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 17:04    Post_subject: Satellite 1805 S203  

Still no luck ;-(

edited the problem-adapters file to include my "oem: Trident CYBER 8620" line
boot from CD
command "puppy pfix=nox"
all OK to #_ prompt
plug-in pen drive then mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
ls /mnt/flash
cp /mnt/flash/proble~2 /etc/X11/problem-adapters
cp /mnt/flash/xorgwi~2 /usr/sbin/xorgwizard2
ran xorgwizard2
"Puppy Video Wizard" window opens - choose Xorg - Enter
one line of pink text appears "Probing video hardware ..."
system hangs with empty black screen and no cursor - wait a minute
[ctrl]c will NOT break out
[ctrl][alt]del will NOT break out
cycle power to quit
youb

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 17:29    Post_subject:  

Thanks for your time on that problem... no luck either..
The new script his behaving the same on my laptop as on Dave's .
Pink "probing", then hangs with black screen.
Ctrl+Alt+Del produces a little reaction from my HDD activity led...
dalderton

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 19:23    Post_subject:  

Richard I tried it on mine and it did the same hang as the original xorgwizard. Regards Dennis
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Nov 2007, 23:23    Post_subject: Let's work with the latest version -- xorgwizard2  

I am sorry you are having trouble testing this fix. So let's all work with the latest version, which is simpler than the others, so less room for errors.

First, I'll explain the logic -- what it checks for -- and then how I test, step by step. Here is the code that should run for your cases (EDIT (11/19/07): corrected to match latest version):
Code:
#For some Tecra and Portege laptops (and any others generating a segment fault or edidfail in ddcprobe), avoid Xvesa/other hang by skipping detection and letting the user choose the appropriate video mode.   #rerwin begin
if grep -q -F -x 'edidfail
oem: MagicGraph 256 AV 44K PRELIMINARY
oem: Trident CYBER 8820
oem: Trident CYBER 8620' /tmp/ddcprobe.txt;then
 HORIZSYNC=""
 VERTREFRESH=""
else   #rerwin end
. . .  [logic that hangs]
fi   #rerwin
. . .
#if ddcprobe also failed, have to ask monitor type...
if [ "$HORIZSYNC" = "" -o "$VERTREFRESH" = "" ];then #"" if monitor not plug-n-play.
[Displays the long list of all possible safe video modes (A through Z).]
The "grep" statement includes all of the strings (between the ticks) it considers indicative of a problem adapter. Please be sure that your ddcprobe output contains one of those exact strings; I took them from your postings, so please tell me of any typos that crept in.

Given that the code is so simple, if it finds a match it will display the dialog. Therefore the hanging suggests that it is not finding a match.

Now, here are my test steps, avoiding any complications, on my Tecra8000 that has no HD:
Quote:
1. Extract xorgwizard2 from xorgwizard2.tar.gz to the top level of a USB flash drive, by Menu>Utilities>Xarchive archiver, on some other puppy system.

2. In the subject laptop, insert the flash drive, boot up from the Puppy 3.01 CD, and enter "puppy pfix=ram,nox" at the boot prompt.

3. Select a keyboard layout and <enter>.

4. Enter "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash -t vfat" to mount the flash drive and use long filenames (-t vfat).

5. Enter "cp /mnt/flash/xorgwizard2 /usr/sbin/" to copy the script.

6. Enter "umount /mnt/flash" to unmount the flash drive and avoid any problems caused by its being already mounted.

7. Enter "xorgwizard2" to run the script.

8. Select "Xorg" in the resultant dialog.

9. Wait for the two pink "Probing" lines to come and go -- The wizard dialog beginning with "Automatic probing ... was unsuccessful" should be displayed.

10. Select the second (B) line if your screen resolution is 800x600; the third (C) line if 1024x768, then OK, and OK again.

11. At the resultant prompt, enter "xwin" to start the desktop.

If it still hangs, boot again the same way but at the after-bootup prompt (before step 4 above) enter "ddcprobe" and find the line we are trying to match, to be sure the text is exactly what the script is looking for. For youb's case I rely on ddcprobe including a "Segmentation fault" line in its output, since the "oem:" line is too vague -- it is a copyright notice and does not specify a particular adapter model; so be sure I got the upper/lower cases right, for an exact match. To verify there is only the one xorgwizard2 in the system, enter "which xorgwizard2", that should show either nothing or "/usr/sbin"; anything else suggests the wrong file is being run.

If you do get it to work you can rename the script (in /usr/sbin) to "xorgwizard" to have it run automatically at bootup.

I need to verify it works so I can hand it off to dougal for integration into his version and a puppy release. Thanks for sticking with me on this.
Richard

Edited_times_total
dalderton

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 03:28    Post_subject:  

I will sit this one out for a bit as I dont have a flash drive.My option is to replace the original xorgwizard with your modified one and burn it as a remastered live or installable cd.This modified xorgwizard does not work when used in this way. Regards Dennis
youb

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 10:53    Post_subject:  

Added pfix=ram,nox to loadlin's options
Boot linux, at prompt :
mkdir /mnt/hda3
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 -t vfat (my C: win drive, where I put the downloaded file)
cp /mnt/hda3/xo/xorgwizard2 /usr/sbin
umount /mnt/hda3
xorgwizard2 -- same problem again.
I checked my ddcprobe output and "Segmentation fault" is written ok.

Isn't it normal since I am using the same xorgwizard2 as yesterday ?

Thanks, Mat
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 12:55    Post_subject: I need your assistance; I do not have your laptops to test.  

Dennis, please don't sit this out. I cannot resolve the dilemma without you. Your remaster technique should now work with the fix, since the file in /etc/X11 is no longer involved. (Go ahead and rename the script to xorgwizard for your remaster, so it will be invoked automatically.)

I want the fix to be as generally applicable as we can make it, which means getting it to detect your all of particular video adapters by matching something in the ddcprobe output.

Just one thing to make clear, I have built the fix on the Puppy 3.01 version of the wizard; so be sure you are all testing with 3.01.

If testing with 3.01 doesn't work, I will have to add debug code to the fix to try to find where the problem is.

My only other suspicion is that maybe the forum is squeezing some space-characters out of the oem: and segment-fault lines in your posts. So if you notice beginning- or trailing spaces or multiple adjacent spaces in the text we are trying to match, please tell me. (And, Dennis, does your ddcprobe "oem:" line have a space after the colon?)

One more time ... Thanks.
Richard
youb

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 13:01    Post_subject:  

I'm using 3.01, and the "Segmentation fault" is the same in the output and the xorgwizard2 file (I will double check). No problem for further testing... Thanks, Mat
EDIT: I've been browsing through the forum... and I read a post about the minimum amount of RAM needed to run Puppy... I have 64mb, could it be the cause of my problem ? (I use loadlin, therefore if I'm not mistaken it loads everything in RAM and I don't use any swap.)
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 20:12    Post_subject: Debug version now in the download file.  

Mat, thanks for your response. I ran out of explanations; but I think you have found it! 64MB is a bit tight. (If you make the laptop work satisfactorily for you, you might consider adding RAM to speed it up.)

Assuming the laptop has a hard drive, you could boot from the CD and I think that situation creates a swap file wherever it can find space. But avoid having it go into an NTFS partition, as the performance is reportedly impacted. Or make a small (64M-128M) swap partition or file; there are several ways, but we can work on that if you need help.

My news for everyone else not getting the latest version of the fix to work is that I have replaced the download file with one that contains both the latest version and one containing debug messages. They will verify that the fix is actually running and show whether it finds a match or what it is trying to match. (The oem: line may be surrounded by periods (.), to reveal any extra spaces.)

The debug version, xorgwizard2d, will show other lines along with the pink "probing" lines. They will remain on the screen for 15 seconds, so press ctrl-c to keep them longer. If it still hangs, please tell me what messages are displayed. The last should be an oem: line of some sort. If you just wait, the long video-mode list should appear.

Richard
dalderton

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 20:25    Post_subject:  

Richard . I am using 3.0.1 and I have renamed the file xorgwizard and the xorgwizard box comes up but when I click on xorg then the hang happens as in the original. ddcprobe is
oem: Trident CYBER 8820
I notice on the xorgwizard2 file it is shown as Trident Cyber 8820 I dont know if this is significant. We soldier on Regards Dennis
EDIT I wrote this before your latest post Richard so let me know if the CYBER is significant.I can fix it on the last xorgwizard2 file and try it if you wish..Dennis
dalderton

PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov 2007, 21:59    Post_subject:  

Richard Its not what you write,its the way that you write it. I changed the oem line in the original xorgwizard2 to oem: Trident CYBER 8820 and remastered it on the original Puppy Unleashed bootable CD 3.0.1 and the burnt disk worked perfectly on my Toshiba TE 2000. On one oem line there was no gap from the colon plus the CYBER was Cyber and on the next line the gap was there but CYBER was again Cyber. Anyway it is now working flawlessly. It has been a pleasure to do business with you.
The only thing left is to get the Toshiba Modem to work on Puppy?????
Regards Dennis
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2007, 01:03    Post_subject: All resolved! Ready to be integrated.  

Thanks, Dennis, for your clarification. Assuming Mat's problem is with low RAM, with enough he can probably run without the fix.

I have uploaded a cleaned-up version of both scripts, ready for more people to try with other laptops.

Dougal, I think this added logic is ready for your consideration to integrate with your development version of xorgwizard.

Thank you to all who have helped me get to this point with the fix.

Richard
youb

PostPosted: Mon 19 Nov 2007, 08:57    Post_subject:  

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to find a way to run puppy with my 64mb and no cd-rom or disk drive... Seems feasible according to some posts on this forum. Regards,
Mat
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 12 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 10, 11, 12 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum