SafePup based on BarelyPup and Puppy Linux 2.13

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
raffy

SafePup based on BarelyPup and Puppy Linux 2.13

#1 Post by raffy »

Thanks to Paul (pakt) for starting barelypup, I had something to start with when a request came in to build a web-browsing-only Puppy.

I called this puplet "safepup", as the whole idea about it is to enable safe browsing in (presumably) Windows machines. (The safest configuration that I could think of is to unplug that hard drive!) See it at http://minipc.org/safepup (EDIT - updated this link)

Download from the link above (the August 21, 2007 build = 68 MB).
- uses firefox 1.1.12 with mozplugger and multimedia extensions (not handling realplayer media)
- recommended for use as live CD only

With user education another important goal in mind, I did not disable anything. Happily, barelypup comes without the ntfs-3g add-on, so NTFS partitions are mounted read-only. For treating VFAT partitions, the user is cautioned not to write on one (if s/he does not own it).

The Mplayer add-on is based on Dougal's codecs-free build. It's queer as only the x11 option works (even if am using Xorg).

The last remaining browsing problem is playing midi files (TiMIDIty is too large, so will not be included).

The simple wallpaper used is also from Paul (pakt).
Last edited by raffy on Fri 28 Sep 2007, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

puppyjim

firewall

#2 Post by puppyjim »

Why is there no Firewall & no-way of setting the default ?

raffy

not needed

#3 Post by raffy »

Sorry, I tend to forget as I've not needed one for Puppy. It's available at the download sites, like this one: http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... ackages-1/

It is small, so I attach it here.

Install it quickly with Setup - Package Manager - Pet - 2nd button.

To use it automatically next time, save your new ISO as a remaster (see the link above for your remaster guide).

EDIT: Safepup to be released October 2007 will have firelog, a firewall that can be turned ON/OFF.
Attachments
linux_firewall-2.0rc9.tar.gz
official firewall package
(20.15 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

puppyjim

#4 Post by puppyjim »

Thanks for info.

I've got a suggestion, instead of SAFEPUP, why not create your own using the "Remaster Puppy live-CD" application with a SECOND OPTION.
This second option takes YOUR whole-system ,files & all, and burns them to disc - without the tweaking options. The only boot option being "acpi" - the rest is fixed.

Then if you happen to inadvertently open a NASTY-LINK (And their numbers are increasing at a rapid rate) then no problem, just re-boot - nothing is corrupted, not even system files AND you do not have to re-setup all your necessary internet,reference,etc info. :lol:

pistoi0

#5 Post by pistoi0 »

Raffy, I would like to modify PupSafe to be able to save the work that the students do to their individual CD-R. I have tried to copy the shutdown files from original BarelyPup. With those modifications I can get a Save to Disk option, but it seems to want only a DVD rather than a CD-R.

Any help would be kindly appreciated.

raffy

device in /dev

#6 Post by raffy »

Check the symbolic link to your optical drive in /dev. There should be a "cdrom" symlink there (see the attached image). If not, command in console "ln -s /dev/hdd cdrom" (if your optical drive is in /dev/hdd, which you can verify with MUT, the USB icon on your desktop).

You may have to remove a dvd symlink there, but keep it if your drive is a DVD reader/CD writer.

I've tested before the optical drive identification and it works well. The reason it's not working could be because you have a DVD-reader-CD-writer combo drive, or the remaster has been customized to one particular PC. (Let me know the situation in this regard.)

As to enabling saving, I've pointed out in the remaster guide that all you have to do is
To enable saving files at shutdown, delete rc.shutdown in /tmp/etc/rc.d and rename rc0.shutdown to rc.shutdown.
The paragraph specifically refers to the time when the /etc directory is about to be added to the remaster.
Attachments
cdrom_symlink.jpg
symlink pointing to optical drive
(4.74 KiB) Downloaded 1562 times
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

pistoi0

#7 Post by pistoi0 »

Raffy, thank you for your quick response.
I have followed your instructions without success.
My remaster is open, not customized for my machine.
MUT identifies the following: "hdc Phillips CD-RW/DVD-ROM CDD5263." In the DEV directory I have /dev/cdrom; it is symlinked to /dev/hdd. I also have /dev/dvd; it is symlinked to /dev/hdc.
I get the following error message when I attempt to SAVE TO CD: "/etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown: line 136 growisofs: command not found"
However, Line #136 is present.
Any further instruction will be appreciated.

raffy

saving to CD only

#8 Post by raffy »

Thanks for the update. a useful reminder re multisession: save to the same drive where you booted from (which must be the writer drive). And safepup is supposed to be ready only for CD-writer saving. Umm, in fact it is designed not to do saving. :wink:

I tried to save to CD in DVD drive and got the same error as yours. So I replaced all instances of if [ "$MEDIATYPE" = "CD" ] with if [ 1 ] and if [ "$MEDIATYPE" = "DVD" ] with if [ 0 ]. Quick and dirty - I hope this Puppy version and your DVD drive will be compatible. :) IMPORTANT: The first save attempt will display errors then eject the CD. Do nothing, as next it will close the CD then finish the save gracefully. [Why: 'coz multisession is optimized for DVD, not for CD.]

Growisofs is needed for saving to DVD, but you'll have to get it from a standard 2.13*, as the package repository does not have it anymore. The files are in /usr/bin and /usr/share/doc. I attach the growisofs files here for your convenience, and also the updated rc.shutdown.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* Mount the pup_213.sfs with "mount -o loop pup_213.sfs /mnt/here", with /mnt/here created before this command. Then you can search /mnt/here for the required file/s.

Notes re multisession CD burning: Gcombust in Safepup can't prepare/burn CD in multisession, so you will have to use (possibly add) another CD burner, the most common being BurnISO2CD.
Attachments
rc.shutdown.gz
shutdown script forced to use only CD for saving
(10.85 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
growisofs.zip
required files for DVD burning.
(26.55 KiB) Downloaded 561 times

pistoi0

#9 Post by pistoi0 »

Raffy, thanks so much for all your help. I am now able to save to CD-R. I used the additional files which you provided (growisofs and rc.shutdown). They did the trick. There will be many happen students here.

raffy

:)

#10 Post by raffy »

You're welcome. Just don't forget to add burniso2cd if you want to burn multisession CDs in the future (gcombust can't handle it in safepup).

Also, growisofs is not needed if you use the modified (attached above) rc.shutdown. It will be useful though if you use 2.13's original rc.shutdown.

If you or some of your students can provide some news or feedback about how safepup helped them (or not :) ), please send them to Image. Thanks!