Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#81 Post by Flash »

I just found that my multisession Puppy 3.01 loaded the saved sessions even though I used the pfix=ram boot option. I tried it three times and it loaded the saved sessions every time.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

fudgy

#82 Post by fudgy »

V.3.01 init:
More on fsck in init:

there's one check here: line 507 (circa):

Code: Select all

[ "$PUPSAVEFS" = "ext2" -o "$PUPSAVEFS" = "ext3" ] && fsck_func $PUPSAVEDEV $PUPSAVEFS     #v3.01 
and here is the problematic check of the loopback device in line 593 (circa):

Code: Select all

fsck_func loop1 ext2 $PUPSAVEFILE     #v3.01
this is the BAD Brother...i think.

how about a pcheck=yes bootparam ?

These entries can be commented out. Be shure to edit the typo in line 871, too, as mentioned by Pizzasgood. ( rm -rf $OLDFILESMNTPT/tmp/* --- spell with "S")

Editing init is simple, as discribed here:
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-3.01.htm

-fudgy

PS:
BUG: in 301 password must be entered with english keyboard layout at boottime, however typed-in password on first shutdown happens to be with the beforehand chosen (non-english) layout.

jphein

Bug List plus a Release Request

#83 Post by jphein »

I have been using Puppy for quite some time. First I would like to thank Barry K. and the Puppy Linux community for this amazing open source contribution.

I have two bug reports and a release request.

[BUGS]
1. The 3.01 remaster script does not work on my laptop with a vfat and a reiserfs partition. I get the same xdialog error as Clay did in the 3.01 beta bugs list. I tried the script you posted to him, but that failed in the same place.
I will try this on a different computer soon.
2. When playing a DVD on GXine in two different computers pressing f to go into fullscreen does not work the first time. Sometimes I would have to maximize the window and try again then minimize and so on until it would either work or freeze X windows.

[Release Request]
I would like to request that the humongous initrd release of puppy linux continue running in parallel with the normal release of puppy linux.
I am pxe booting puppy linux to run thinclients. As this is my main use of puppy linux having that release would be very helpful.

I am creating a new Linux distribution, and I would like to use Puppy Linux as the Thinclient OS. I think Netbooting is going to become very important.

Thanks again for everything.
Jeffrey P. Hein
Owner - JPHein Consulting
[url]http://www.jphein.com[/url]

Pizzasgood

#84 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thought I'd mention: When editing initrd.gz, be careful that cpio doesn't dereference all the symlinks, which results in a very hefty initrd.gz file (the ~3mb tweaked version I was working with grew to ~15). I haven't investigated the issue much, to see which versions of Puppy it affects, but some versions do this. Rather than figure out why, I just grabbed the version of cpio included in the 300 unleashed core and used that. It might just be the version of cpio in Puppy 2.14, but maybe not.

So like I said, I just though I'd mention it as something to keep an eye out for when you're messing with initrd.gz.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

jphein

Reply to pizzasisgood

#85 Post by jphein »

Thanks for the fast reply, pizzasgood.
I would like to use Puppy Linux "as is" for my distribution. I can only do that if Barry continues to release the humongous initrd edition. Like he did with 2.16.1. Hopefully he will, so that I don't have to know about cpio bugs. =)
Jeffrey P. Hein
Owner - JPHein Consulting
[url]http://www.jphein.com[/url]

veronicathecow

#86 Post by veronicathecow »

Another one with problems with pup_save.2f3 and HDD file save
I have used part of Justgregs text for speed.

Frugal, 512mb RAM, 1200 Athlon, 80Gb HDD split into 2 partitions both EXT3

I did a frugal install to one of the partitions (Pup301 directory). I modified Grub to boot the frugal installation. It boots fine. However, when you shutdown, you are ask about saving the session. I have select save to the partition. It shutdowns. After reboot, Puppy 3.01 starts and hangs for ages (appears to have crashed but is taking a long time). Sometimes this takes a while others not so long.
With a frugal and then save to HDD for pupfiles on reboot it goes through the inital select country, vers etc.
Thanks
Tony

llevet

Broken NFS in 3.01 final

#87 Post by llevet »

Hi,

On 3.01 final, nfs client is broken :

root@puppypc # modprobe nfs
FATAL: Error inserting nfs (/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

cat /var/log/message

Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol nlmclnt_proc
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_proc_register
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_wake_up_task
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_shutdown_client
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol lockd_down
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol lockd_up
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_encode_opaque
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_sleep_on
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_init_task
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_print_iostats
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_encode_pages
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_setbufsize
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_clnt_sigmask
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_clone_client
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_max_payload
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_proc_unregister
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_exit_task
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_create
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_call_sync
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_delay
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_execute
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpciod_up
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_clnt_sigunmask
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpcauth_lookupcred
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpciod_down
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_restart_call
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_inline_pages
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpc_call_setup
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol put_rpccred
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol rpcauth_create
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol nfs_debug
Nov 9 12:22:24 (none) kern.warn kernel: nfs: Unknown symbol xdr_shift_buf

Thank's to rebuild module nfs.ko

Ludo.

llevet

nfs problem

#88 Post by llevet »

Hi,

I have resolved my problem of nfs.
In fact, it missing in release 3.01 the module sunrpc.ko and module lockd.ko :shock:

Recompiling kernel and modules solve the pb.

Ludo.

perixx

#89 Post by perixx »

Hi Barry,

Quoted from a solved thread :
(Leon): I was informed from a long time Puppy user that since Puppy 3.00 he had to specify DNS to properly configure Roaring Penguin. Well, in contrary, I’d always done that, so didn't noticed any difference.
I'm not quite sure, but I think this should work automatically by getting the DNS server addresses from the ISP - at least as yet it always worked that way....

Anyway, I couldn't get internet to work with Puppy 3.01. When I set everything as I did in 2.15 (I've even entered the DNS servers manually) and configured Roaring Penguin, RP wouldn't find any network at first (it keeps blinking red and delivers a 'Connection Timeout') - not until I interrupted the connection procedure and retried it a second or third time. Although it looked like a perfect connection that time, Seamonkey wasn't able to load any web pages. I've tried to ping my ISP's DNS servers and it worked perfectly.

This is reproducable; I've tested the internet with Puppy 2.15 to doubleckeck and it still works perfectly.

By the way - a bad habit of the Internet Connection Wizard, in my opinion, is that it will set 'Gateway' to 0.0.0.0 by default. When you don't clear it out (I personally don't use a router, just a DSL modem, so no gateway needs to be specified), the wizard will refuse to accept all other entries. So newbies may get mad about their network settings not being accepted. This changed with the version from 2.13 on, as far as I can remember - and it stays persistent up to now with 3.01... 2.12 didn't have this issue.

I must admit - as much as I like Puppy - the introduction of new networking issues with proverbially every new release gets increasingly frustrating.

:arrow: I'd strongly plead for testing basic functionalities like that more thoroughly before releasing in the future....

perixx

Leon

#90 Post by Leon »

Hi perixx,
I'm not quite sure, but I think this should work automatically by getting the DNS server addresses from the ISP - at least as yet it always worked that way....
I downloaded and installed Puppy 2.15CE to test if Roar Penguin PPPoE is able to automatically getting the DNS server addresses from my ISP and I found that in this version it really is.
Anyway, I couldn't get internet to work with Puppy 3.01. When I set everything as I did in 2.15 (I've even entered the DNS servers manually) and configured Roaring Penguin, RP wouldn't find any network at first (it keeps blinking red and delivers a 'Connection Timeout') - not until I interrupted the connection procedure and retried it a second or third time. Although it looked like a perfect connection that time, Seamonkey wasn't able to load any web pages. I've tried to ping my ISP's DNS servers and it worked perfectly.
This RP connection settings work for me in Puppy 3.01:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 002#147002

I noticed that my ADSL connection was very slow until I changed 'Use synchronous PPP:' to 'No' although it worked well in previous versions.

bacillus

Bug in mp3 audio

#91 Post by bacillus »

Hi

When I open a mp3 file with the default audio player (is the xine) in puppy linux 3.01; I just listen the audio with problems, every second in the song is repeated five times (more or less) and sometimes the sound is mmm.... blocked.

I think the mp3 codec is wrong, how can I change this codec for another and... where find this?

So, I've configrated my audio card correctly coz I tested with a wav audio file and is ok.

Thanks for your answers
(sorry my english....)

perixx

#92 Post by perixx »

none

perixx

#93 Post by perixx »

Hi Leon,

I was using exactly the same settings as in Puppy 2.15 - even the same driver 'skge'(?) AND synchronous DSL and it doesn't work.

From the pings to my DNS servers and the modem's blinking I can tell that there's most probably a connection to the web, but it's not working properly. Although I haven't touched the firewall - does it need some basic attention to make internet work?

perixx

awesomerrr

#94 Post by awesomerrr »

kirk wrote:
One day I'm going to go through the init and shutdown scripts and convert everthing to ext3.
i've been wanting to copy my whole puppy ext2 partition over to a clean ext3 partition, but i'm unsure what i'd have to change....since you mentioned it, could anyone give me a heads up? i'm such a n00b it's gross...any help would be greatly appreciated

Leon

#95 Post by Leon »

perixx wrote:I was using exactly the same settings as in Puppy 2.15 - even the same driver 'skge'(?) AND synchronous DSL and it doesn't work.
As I mentioned in my previous post from my experience some RP settings have to be changed to get it work from one Puppy version to another.
perixx wrote:Although I haven't touched the firewall - does it need some basic attention to make internet work?
1.) It is highly recommended to run Linux-Firewall Wizard from Puppy menu before first starting your DSL Internet connection:

>Menu >Setup >Linux-Firewall Wizard >[automagic] OK >Enter

2.) I would suggest to try this RP settings in Puppy 3.01 and report results:

>Menu >Network >Roaring Penguin PPPoE ADSL

>New Connection

>Basic
Connection Name: ? (Enter your Internet provider name.)
User Name: ? (Enter your username.)
Password: ? (Enter your password.)

>NIC and DNS
Ethernet Interface: eth0
DNS Setup: Specify
Primary DNS: ???.???.???.??? (Enter DNS specified by your Internet provider.)
Secondary DNS: ???.???.???.??? (Enter DNS specified by your Internet provider.)

>Options
Allow use by non-root users: No
Use synchronous PPP: No
Firewalling: Stand-Alone

3.) Click 'Start' button to see if both internet connection indicators in RP-PPPoe become green and Blinky internet connection icon appears in systray.

Wosh

The ease is gone. Problems with Network/Sound drivers

#96 Post by Wosh »

Hi folks

Congratulations first for the new Puppy 3.01 which has several improvements compared to 2.17 that I used before. For example the language support for SeaMonkey works without problems and gxine displays some Windows based Videos better than before.

But there are some bugs that have cost me several hours to patch and except one of them I managed to solve them.

1. de2104x Network Driver

I am running Puppy on an older PC that needs the de2104x network driver. This driver behaves a little bit weird and only a real (Puppy?)-Linux-Driver-Guru may know the reason.

If it is loaded at bootup it doesn't work at all. But it works if it is unloaded and reloaded manually after bootup.
So in 2.17 I used to blacklist de2104x within the Boot-Manager and I added the following lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local which also do auto-DHCP:

modprobe --remove de2104x
modprobe de2104x

INTERFACE=eth0
#i'll tackle Puppy plugged into a network with a dhcp
#server, so we need to be assigned an ip address...
echo "Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)..."
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-${INTERFACE}.* 2>/dev/null #if left over from last session, causes trouble.
dhcpcd ${INTERFACE}
if [ ! $? -eq 0 ];then #=0 success
echo "FAILURE!"
ifconfig ${INTERFACE} down
INTERFACEFAIL=1
else
echo "SUCCESS! nameservers written to /etc/resolv.conf, and"
echo "Assigned IP address written to /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-${INTERFACE}.cache"
echo "Connection information in /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-${INTERFACE}.info"
echo "DHCP client daemon now running"
#note, /etc/yp.conf and /etc/ntp.conf also created.
fi

Puppy 2.17 at least detects the driver automatically at boot up but Puppy 3.01 doesn't even load this driver from the drivers list within the Network-Wizard. The loading always fails. After some comparisions with 2.17 I found the driver there:

/lib/modules/2.6.xx.x/modules/kernel/drivers/net/de2104x.ko

and copied it to the corresponding directory in 3.01. Now the Network-Wizard was able to load it.
After rebooting and running my rc.local script the network sometimes worked and sometimes not. After some investigations I found out that this strange behavior is due to the new network backgrounding at boot up. So the simple command

sleep 3

before the first modprobe in rc.local ensures that the network backgrounding is finished before the module is loaded again.

With these patches even this weird driver is running. But my question is:

How is a network driver autodetected at Puppy boot-up and why de2104x is not detected any more?

2. SeaMonkey fonts to big
With my used resolution of 1024*768 the fonts of SeaMonkey Navigator and mail are much to big compared to other applications.
But this problem is easy to solve within:

/root/.mozilla/default/r3y1skkw.slt/chrome/userChrome.css

Setting the font size to 9 where Barry experimented with 12 lead to reasonable results:

/*BK*/
* {
font-size: 9pt !important;
font-family: DejaVu Sans !important;
}

3. snd-via82xx Sound Driver
I was rather astonished that the sound on my PC does not work any more with 3.01 because I never had sound problems on several different PCs with Puppy. Comparisions with 2.17 led me to:

/lib/modules/2.6.xx.x/modules/kernel/sound/snd_via82xx.ko

But copying it to the corresponding directory did not bring success.
After running the ALSA wizard the sound card wss detected but the loading of the driver failed. Running dmesg brought a list of errors of the following kind:

snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_set_rate
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_physical_width
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_update_bits
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_mixer
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_bus
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_ctl_find_id
snd_via82xx: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk
and so on.

So I assumed maybe the driver doesn't fit with the Kernel. So I downloaded the ALSA drivers package from the ALSA homepage compiled it with the devx_301.sfs Compiler package and kernel-src_301.sfs and ran "make install". But the problem still persisted.

I am not a Linux drivers expert at all but I hope the problem is easy to fix. So my question is:

Why is this driver not detected any more at Puppy boot-up and how can I fix this last real problem?

Cheers

Wosh

jameson737

more bugs

#97 Post by jameson737 »

If if play mp3 and keep maximize and minimize the seamonkey when browsing the internet the gxine player crash and cannot be open again unless i restart by control-alt-backspace.

Wosh

One more bug

#98 Post by Wosh »

Hi folks

The easiest way to exchange data between two Puppy-PCs is to use a ftp-connection as described in:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=2163

So I wanted to update data via ftp from my other PC running Puppy 2.17 to my Home-PC running Puppy 3.01. But entering the command

adduser -h / top

generates the following error messages:

adduser: /: File exists
passwd: unknown user top

Running the command in 2.17 works.

After updating
/etc/passwd
/etc/shadow
/etc/shadow-
with the user top generated in Puppy 2.17 I was able to establish my ftp-connection.

My question:
Is this a restriction in a new version of busybox and If yes how can I add users with Puppy 3.01?

Cheers

Wosh

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#99 Post by Béèm »

When a song is playing or a video in Gxine and I change the window size, Gxine freezes displaying half of the window only and I have to kill the Gxine process.

Didn't had that in previous releases.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Philh

#100 Post by Philh »

Hi Wosh
Theres a new tinylogin here
http://puppylinux.ca/bugs/
tinylogin-1.4 - replaces the busybox login in puppy, fixes pureftp adduser problem.