jabbin-2.0beta2a: voip client

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

jabbin-2.0beta2a: voip client

#1 Post by muggins »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jabbin

Jabbin is an Open Source Jabber client program that allows free PC to PC calls using the VoIP system over the Jabber network.
i compiled jabbin on pup2.16 & I uploaded a .pet, to rapidshare, here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/69405538/ja ... a-i486.pet

It's just over 2M dload, and needs QT libraries and speex installed. Both these are available as .pet packages on puppy's ibiblio site. Oddly it also needs libGL.so.1, which is available by installing the openGl .pup from Mu's site, at dotpups.de/dotpups.
Last edited by muggins on Thu 29 May 2008, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

woops,

i just realised there are two menu entries for this, under Internet & Network. To remove the Internet menu entry, open the file /usr/share/applications/jabbin.desktop in a texteditor, and alter the last line, from this:

Categories=Network;InstantMessaging

to:

Categories=Network

then do:

Menu->Shutdown->Exit to Prompt
fixmenus <enter>
xwin <enter>

Newcrest

#3 Post by Newcrest »

Thanks for posting. Do you know if this can be used with a sip proxy so that calls can be made to any phone? If it can't then it is not very useful.

Have you had look at http://www.twinklephone.com/ or managed to get Wengophone to work?

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

Hi Newcrest,

I don't really know much about Jabbin. I just compiled the app in response to a query from Macadavy, who wanted to try it out because of it's ability to commune with googletalk.

AFAIK wengophone works pretty much straight "out of the box", after you've extracted it. Or at least it looks to me like it would work, but being on bad dialup, I have problems with all such apps, due to bandwidth problems.

I had a look at Twinklephone, but it seems to have a few KDE dependencies. Maybe it could be compiled with KDE disabled?

Newcrest

#5 Post by Newcrest »

I often hear that VOIP is the next killer app and I think it should go hand in hand with Puppy being a portable operating system.

However, the top softphone makers like Counterpath have not upgraded their Linux versions from the time when voip was more a geek toy and so they still have poor voice quality compared to current Windows versions.

I tried to get Wengophone to work with Puppy 2.15 but failed. It is also quite bulky. Twinkle is smaller. Only some of its more fancy features require KDE and the Twinkle website says:
To force a build of a non-KDE version of Twinkle:
./configure --without-kde

I could only find an old Mandriva non-KDE binary and I could not get that to run even though I tried installing binaries of the 3 libraries it needs. Maybe it needs the same versions as it was compiled with? Sorry I am way out of my depth with compiling concepts.

I have heard that people use voip through MyNetFone and Pennytel successfully on dial-up with the G729 codec so don't let dial-up hold you back. If you join MynetFone through Whirlpool you can get a free hardware adapter to use at home and 10c untimed calls to any landline in Aus. Then you won't have to hangup or use a mobile to make or receive a call.

macadavy

#6 Post by macadavy »

Jabbin can be used to communicate with anyone with a gmail (GoogleMail) account via GoogleTalk - that's a lotta people!
Another alternative to Skype is Gizmo. Unlike Skype it uses the open SIP protocol - which means you can use it to connect with anyone using other SIP compliant software such as Wengophone, Ekiga, Linphone, etc. Skype's proprietary protocol and closed source software means you can only communicate with others using Skype and Skype only.
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

Newcrest

#7 Post by Newcrest »

There are many more people without internet than with. Communicating with someone on the internet has been easy for at least 10 years. Even now people don't realize the power of Microsoft's Netmeeting and yet it was part of Windows 95. I never understood why a closed product like Skype became popular. People are really stupid.

Communicating with people with a phone requires the voip client be able to use a sip proxy. Does Gizmo allow that? If not then it is more useless proprietary rubbish like Skype that is more interested in ripping people off than providing a communication service.

Puppy needs a decent small voip client. Wengophone is far too big (76MB in disk usage, not to mention ram hungry) and yet still does not provide some necessary basic functions needed by a softphone.

macadavy

#8 Post by macadavy »

Gizmo offers the same phone out to landline/cell and phone in from landline/cell to your number that Skype offers. Check it out here: http://gizmoproject.com/
Jabbin is the only Linux chat client that supports VoIP via GoogleTalk. Gaim aka Pidgin, for example, is multi-protocol but does not (yet) support voice.
http://www.jabbin.com/int/
There are at least four (4) Puplets I'm aware of that include softphones: EcoPup, Fire Hydrant Puppy, Rudy Puppy and TEENPup. There may be more...
List of Puplets: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puplets
A more detailed list here: http://en.linux.wikia.com/wiki/Puppy
HTH

Newcrest

#9 Post by Newcrest »

Hi Macadavy,
Are we on the same page here? I am talking about Puppy having available a sip softphone which allows choice of sip provider so that calls can be made to and from the public telephone system via a sip proxy without having to pay Skype's ripoff timed rates for example. Gizmo is the same as Skype.

People who refuse to use Microsoft products and yet happily use Skype are complete hypocrites.

I think Rudy puppy has X-lite version 2 which is a bad joke. The voice quality on both Windows and Linux is very poor. It muffles incoming voice and adds a lisp to your outgoing voice. X-lite version 3 is fine but Counterpath don't feel a corporate need to make a Linux version. X-lite version 2 is easily installed in any Puppy version, no need for Rudy.

Do the other puplets you mention have anything better because I could not find anything? Besides they are very large compared to the main Puppy.

macadavy

#10 Post by macadavy »

Newcrest: I've been looking into VoIP via Puppy quite a bit. It seems you, like I, feel some frustration. I don't know of any sip softphone that allows you free calls to landlines/cell; the best you can hope for is pay-as-you-go calling card type setups. That's why I find Jabbin of interest - almost eveyone has, or can easily get, a gmail account. The best softphone I've seen is Ekiga. ( http://www.ekiga.org/ ) While they allow you to use any sip provider, (though they recommend Diamondcard.us), Ekiga is an evolution of Gnome's netmeeting software so it requires the Gnome libs to function - not exactly lightweight! And like Skype, diamondcard.us doesn't offer call-in numbers in my part of the world - Gizmo does.
It sounds like you have some ple (personal lived experience) with VoIP which I do not - I just dream of telling my local telco to kiss off!
There's a good comparison of available VoIP software in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... P_software
Way out there on the raggedy, raggedy edge is Java-based SIP Communicator: http://www.sip-communicator.org/
"SIP Communicator is completely Open Source / Free Software, and is freely available under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License"
If you share my interest in VoIP-for-Puppy, let's talk ( and maybe one day we'll actually talk!).

mcewanw

jabbin

#11 Post by mcewanw »

Has anyone here tried out jabbin as yet, particularly on Puppy?

I'm wondering how well it works and as an addition, how easy it is to compile and set up under Puppy 4 (Dingo)?

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

Hello mcewan,

I haven't tried any of these voip clients myself, but I know that newcrest reckoned that twinkle had the best voice quality. Also I'm not sure of Jabbin's status as the old link seems to be going to a pay for call service. (I've changed the link in first post to sourceforge site.)

I think the jabbin in the first post, which is compiled with QT3, should be OK to run on pup4 if you also install qt-3.3.8.pet, from the pup3 repository.

mcewanw

connecting to google talk with jabbin

#13 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks muggins,
I downloaded your jabbin pet and it installed fine (actually, I've only tried it on Puppy 2.17 so far).

However, I did have trouble finding out how to connect to Google Talk with it, so please find below an extract of some instructions I found that worked for me (I haven't actually tried voice calling yet though).

As for twinkle, does it work as a jabber client and google talk too (and not just SIP)? If it does it is probably a better option for using with Google Talk since jabbin does indeed seemed to have changed status project-wise.

[quote]
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/col ... ing_jabbin
"Once you’ve finished install Jabbin, open it up and set up an new account (if nothing pops up, go to File→Account Setup, and click the New… button). Type in a name (e.g. My Jabber Account), and click the Add button. In the next window, type in your Jabber ID (e.g. andrew@andrewmin . com), your password, and any other things you wish to configure.

If you use Google Talk, enter your email as your Jabber ID (e.g. andrewmin@gmail . com), open the Connection tab, and select “Use SSL encryption (to server)

mcewanw

how did you compile jabbin?

#14 Post by mcewanw »

Hello muggins

Though your jabbin pet works for me, I'd still like to play around compiling it on different puppy systems. However, I'm having no success compiling it at all, so wonder what I am missing. When I try to compile it, here is what happens...

On puppy 2.17.1 and also Puppy 4.00 as an alternative:

On entering ./configure
with jabbin-2.0beta2a-i486, I get the following error message.

"Configuring Jabbin ...
Verifying Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment ... fail

There was an error compiling 'conf'. Be sure you have a proper
Qt 3.x Multithreaded (MT) build environment set up."

The only QT thing I've installed is qt-3.3.6.pet from ibiblio.
Did you have to install other things or header dev files or whatever, or what else?

muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

William,

I have a vague memory that I had to resort to some sort of trickery to get it to compile, but unfortunately can't recall any specifics. If you want I can retry compiling for pup4.

muggins

#16 Post by muggins »

Five seconds after I posted above, I recalled that I was also having problems with some stage in the compilation, but Newcrest set me on the right path via a pm. But to rejig my memory I'd really need to download the source code again & try recompiling.

It's funny that I've done exactly 25% of a computer science degree, yet my brain fogs up if I try looking at anything in depth on a computer. I really need A4 hardcopy for me to have a chance. Wollongong uni shifted all their uni calendars onto the web, yet if I look at their online calendars to plot course options, I get this funny "blinkered horse" feeling!

mcewanw

info overload

#17 Post by mcewanw »

muggins wrote:It's funny that I've done exactly 25% of a computer science degree, yet my brain fogs up if I try looking at anything in depth on a computer. I really need A4 hardcopy for me to have a chance. Wollongong uni shifted all their uni calendars onto the web, yet if I look at their online calendars to plot course options, I get this funny "blinkered horse" feeling!
I think it is a form of information overload. Computers certainly have that effect on me; there are just so many things to explore and so much inter-related connections to assimilate. I often get nothing done at all when I stare into a computer screen. When I was writing C programs (creating wiak) some months ago, much of what I wrote was created purely on paper (lots of paper). I don't mind debugging online, but hate creating.

As for Jabbin, please don't go out of your way about it, but its true that I'd love to know the secret. Jabbin may or may not be a dead project, but I do find it very interesting compared to the other offerings. It seems to be quite light and certainly works with google talk as a chat client.

One of my biggest problems is that I may have been working for something for days, and been successful, but a few days later, when I need to do it all again, I can't remember a damn thing. I am starting to use an online wiki to jot down things as I go along. Previously I tried using the likes of Notecase as a local solution, but I keep switching between computers and never remember where all the notes were... Wikis work better for me.

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

William,

I just downloaded jabbin source & got the same message you received from ./configure.

I think I just ignored ./configure & ran qmake instead, then edited the created ./src/Makefile to reflect installation in /usr, then ran make.

I just started compiling, and it was going well, until I encountered errors regarding a missing speex.h header file. But I think it should be OK.

mcewanw

I tried something else

#19 Post by mcewanw »

@muggins

Actually, I managed to get ./configure going by creating a symlink X11 to X11R7

I'm just running make as I type this, but if that doesn't work, I'll try what you suggest instead.

mcewanw

speex

#20 Post by mcewanw »

I've also downloaded, made a dotpet, and installed speex-1.2beta3 so I'm presuming that will do the trick.