decTOP Lucent/Agere Winmodem

t5710usr

decTOP Lucent/Agere Winmodem

#1 Post by t5710usr »

after probe 2.17 reports ttyS__ESS0

I am able to dial out, but somewhere in the modem connection everything freezes and a hard boot required.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

is it the same modem as in this thread?:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 43&t=19796

t5710usr

#3 Post by t5710usr »

muggins,

thanks, I read that thread a few times over checking to see if the problem was the same, I think the internal modem in the decTOP is different (at least slightly different - although I am hardly a winmodem expert).

I also tried 3.01 (from a usb pendrive) with the same results, locks up tighter than a drum.

hopefully someone can offer some guidence, 2.17 (as well as 3.01) runs really nice on the decTOP (w/only 128 MB ram an 10 GB hd).

JB4x4

#4 Post by JB4x4 »

I also had troubles with Puppy 2.17 / 3.x and a Lucent modem. I "downgraded" to Puppy 2.16 (which had a different modem configuration tool) and everything worked fine.

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

I just had a vague memory of some sort of IRQ conflict with ESS0 modems? Did Rerwin's modemprobe see your modem?

Aslo, if you run modem-wizard, from the commandline, and try using it to detect your modem, is the end result the same freezing? (You might need to try ttyS_ESS0, ttyLT0...)

t5710usr

#6 Post by t5710usr »

muggins,

I thought I had seen the conflict listed here on the board as well, I did a search but couldn't find it.

JB4; I just booted 2.16 and you are correct- WORKS!, in fact using the LT modem from the decTOP as I type.

that is totally weird, works in 2.16, but not 2.17 (at least I couldn't get it to work).

Awesome!

raffy

happy winmodem

#7 Post by raffy »

The 2.17 has a newer kernel, and the kernel of 2.16 seems to make winmodems happy enough. :)

I wonder if using the "retro" version of 3.01 will fix the problem (the "retro" uses the same kernel as version 2.16).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

t5710usr,

but I'm still curious whether it would have been detected, & worked, with the "old" modem-wizard in pup-2.17.1.

JB4x4

#9 Post by JB4x4 »

raffy,

I had tried 3.01 retro, it did not work. Seems to be the modem detection/configuration tool of 2.16 might be key.

JB

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

isn't that tool still accessible in pup3.01? (/usr/sbin/modem-wizard?)

JB4x4

#11 Post by JB4x4 »

muggins, That tool, modem-wizard, is still in Puppy (Thank you for locating it). Unfortunately I do not have the test PC around from my previous post. Maybe t5710usr will be willing to investigate :)

wingruntled

#12 Post by wingruntled »

I have plugged in many win-modems into a working 2.17 & 3.0 Puppy. I found that after changing modems or even doing a full HD Puppy upgrade I had to delete the wvdial.conf file in /etc and reboot before I could get the current moden to be detected correctly. Probe in pupdial does not always work on upgrade installs or modem swapping.

t5710usr

#13 Post by t5710usr »

muggins,

I have 3.01 on a flashdrive and will try it again this evening. A quick test this morning using the command line modem-wizard produced the same dial out, initialization and then freeze up :(

it is finding it as a lt modem.

dolphin

#14 Post by dolphin »

did anybody successfully configured sound for dectop ?
anybody post a blog about puppy on dectop ?

technosaurus

#15 Post by technosaurus »

sound works fine using the wizard in all versions I have tested from 3.0 up and many from the 2.x series

granny

Re: happy winmodem

#16 Post by granny »

raffy wrote:The 2.17 has a newer kernel, and the kernel of 2.16 seems to make winmodems happy enough. :)

I wonder if using the "retro" version of 3.01 will fix the problem (the "retro" uses the same kernel as version 2.16).

sorry folks if my question is already answered somewhere in the forum before but I am having a problem using the search function in the forum.

I don't know where did I read it or who posted it (sorry about that) but it goes something like that : ...""... since ver 2.17 Barry is using martian modem tool instead of the one used in 2.14 ,2.15 ,2.16..........."" or something in that concept.

you guys are great ,thats why I ask if someone kind enough to take the time to guid me in how to get my lucent \ager modem on my thinkpad to work on newer version....Please...Please.
Thank you

P.S I did try what was suggested in another topic to to remove ltserial from the black list and other tips didn't work either .

rerwin

#17 Post by rerwin »

Hi granny,
Haven't we worked together before? Anyway, I am ready to help you. Please tell me what your equipment is, for a start. And which Puppy. Puppy 4.1.2 would be best, even the Retro, I think.

To clarify your perception of the martian situation, Barry tried it out and stuck with ltserial because he could not get martian to work with his PC(s). However, I have two Lucent/Agere cards with chips that do work with martian_dev. In 4.1 through 4.1.2 Barry has made sure that only the ltserial driver is loaded. In the new 4.2, that override is removed, allowing the martian_dev module to load for these modems.

So in 4.2, some modems will just not work with the default driver (martian_dev), but others will. My argument for making that change is that we should go with the supported driver and devise workarounds for the unlucky modems. The better workaround is to reinstate Barry's override in the Preferences list in BootManager. If it becomes obvious that a modem will never be supported by martian_dev, we can add an entry in /etc/MODULESCONFIG to do the override for only the specific modem (vendor and device IDs). In 4.1.x, to use martian_dev, just remove the line in the BootManager preferences list for martian_dev & ltserail.

How we proceed depends on what version of Puppy you want to start with. And there is no harm is staying with ltserial if it still works for you.
Richard

sky king

winmodem in 4.2

#18 Post by sky king »

Thank you rerwin for your perseverance in this problem. As a new Puppy user (owner?), I was a bit discouraged that I had to go back to an older version than 4.1 to get great winmodem detection. Now I have 4.2, and it's just as easy if not easier to set up (and not lockup) my HP with a Lucent.

Again, thanks for your efforts, I have wasted a lot of time and had no joy with winmodems in 4.1, retro or newer. I am now off to try the new release on my Averatec lappy with a SmartModem. Will report on success there if it works.

I was starting to get used to the 2.16 version of Puppy, just as a dialup alternative (painless winmodem recognition), but now I think I'll stay with the more modern 4.2.

Way to go!

sky king

Averatec SmartLink onboard not recognised

#19 Post by sky king »

I have not had luck with Pupdial in 4.2 recognizing the SmartLink built-in modem on this Averatec 3150. As 4.1 did, the Conexant PC Card modem is recognized and works fine. Not a huge problem, just hoped 4.2 would work as it did in my HP with a Lucent.

As I stated above, Puppy 2.16 does fine with recognizing both of these winmodems. 4.1.2 doesn't get either one, and 4.2 gets the Lucent.

rerwin

#20 Post by rerwin »

sky king,
Thanks for your reports on your modems in 4.2. I would like to look into your SmartLink built-in modem in the Averatec. If it worked in 2.16, we should be able to restore it for 4.2.
How does PupScan describe it and the sound device, particularly the PCI vendor and device IDs? Since it might be part of your built-in sound device, maybe I need to tweak a script to recognize it; please tell me what the lsmod command lists, so I can see the sound driver name.
Richard