rt2500usb goes to sleep

gary101

rt2500usb goes to sleep

#1 Post by gary101 »

Hi All

Its a while since I have has to ask for any help, just shows how reliable puppy has been :D

I have just set up an new computer for the wife and it is using an Asus USB wifi adapter. No problems installing or setting up. I used ndiswrapper to install the driver (rt2500USB) and it works fine apart from one small glitch.

When the computer has been left for a while with nothing being sent between wireless adapter and router, the adapter seems to go to sleep and the connection is lost..

As soon as I go into Rutlit and scan, the router shows up again and you can carry on surfing, you dont even have to re-enter the key.

I know this is hardly life or death but it can be a bit annoying, especially when I get nagged about it!

Anyone got any ideas? Can I add a script to run at start up that will scan, say, every 2 or three minutes?

Any ideas welcomed, especially if it saves me getting earache! Lol :wink:

All the best
Gary

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

First, try using the Linux driver instead of ndiswrapper. It's rt2570, and the interface will be rausb0 instead of wlan0. That might give better overall performance. Or not. Worth a try though.

If that doesn't work, try this script to auto-scan:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
while [ 1 ]; do
iwlist wlan0 scan
sleep 180
done
Be sure to replace wlan0 with whatever the interface is (probably wlan0 with ndiswrapper, and rausb0 with the linux driver, try running iwconfig if unsure). Then running this script should cause it to re-scan every two minutes. To adjust the interval, change the 180 (which is in seconds).

I also have two dongles using that driver (one a Belkin, the other a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connector). I hardly use them, but I noticed the same thing last weekend at my grandma's house. I didn't take the time to test, but it seemed like the Nintendo one dropped out every so often, but the Belkin would mostly hold a connection (it held out for hours while I was watching TV with Grandma, but then was a little iffy while in use). Also, the two instances were in different locations with different amounts of stability (as in, the first case had the dongle sitting on my knee, whereas the second had it sitting on the corner of a mattress in another room).

I was using the Linux driver both times.

Maybe there's also a "no-sleep" style option, but I haven't bothered looking.

EDIT: That script doesn't have an "off switch". If you run it from rxvt, just hit ctrl-c. Otherwise if you saved it as an actual file and click it, killall filename should do it, otherwise look through the output of ps to find the process id (PID) and use kill 1337 where 1337 is the PID. Or you could build in fancier methods of control, add a gui, whatever. That's just an example to get you going. I didn't even use that, I just typed out the iwlist rausb0 scan, then after the first time of running it, whenever the connection dropped (while I was more or less using it) I'd just press up and enter to re-run it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

gary101

#3 Post by gary101 »

Thanks Pizzagood

I will give you script a try as soon as I get home from work.

I will probably stick with ndiswrapper driver if the script works as the adapter works fine apart from when it has not been used for a while.

Readind through the commands in the script this looks just what i am after.

Thanks again.

Gary

tony

Hibernating Belkin Router

#4 Post by tony »

I had the same trouble with my Belkin F5D7630

MTU to 1400 was my only change.

The problem didn't completely go away but the hibernation considerably reduced.

Regards Tony

Enclosed Files:
Belkin Response Apr 11 2007 18:54
We understand that you are still facing the same issue.

To get the issueb resolved, we suggest you to reset the router to the factory default and reconfigure it for the consistant Internet connection.

Refer the steps below for this:

- Reset the router to factory defaults. The reset button is found at the back of the router. The reset procedure is,

- Unplug the power cable and plug it back in and wait for 5 seconds.
- Locate the reset button (inside a hole) at the back of the router.
- Hold down the reset button till the power-light turns solid, then release it.

- Connect the router to either the telephone line or the filter.

- Connect the computer to port number 1 of the router.

- Make sure the corresponding lights are lit. The telephone light should be ON and solid.

- Make sure your computer has valid IP address by following the steps below.

1. Click on Start -> Run -> and type CMD and click OK.
2. Type IPCONFIG in black window and check the IP address.
3. It should be 192.168.2.x where x ranges from 2 to 200.

- If it is not a valid IP Address assign a static IP address, subnet mask and default gateway and DNS addresses in the computer by referring the link below.

http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2824

- Please reset the Internet Explorer browser settings by following the steps below.

- Open Internet Explorer. Click on Tools -> Internet Options.
- Under the General tab, click on Delete Files under Temporary
Internet Files and select "Delete all Offline content" box.
- Click on Clear History.
- Under the Connections tab, select Never Dial A Connection and
click on LAN settings. Uncheck all the options and click on OK.
- Under the Advanced tab, click on Restore Defaults
- Click on Apply and then OK

- Log on to router setup page by typing 192.168.2.1 in the address bar of the browser. By default the password is blank.

- On the left under Internet WAN click on the option Connection Type.

- Select PPPOA (If it is ADSL)/PPPOE (If it is DSL) and click on next.

- Type in the user-name and password and re-type the password given by your ISP. Make sure to type the full user-name.
For Example, the format for the User-name should be "yourusername@yourISP.com or .net"

- Also confirm the settings of VPI/VCI, Encapsulation values from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and configure the same.

- Change the idle time to 0 and MTU to 1400.

- Click on Apply changes button at the bottom. Wait till it saves the data.

- Click on Home on the right top corner and click on the connect button. You should be able to go online.

If the issue persists, please revert to us with the information regarding the operating system of the computer.

If you need further assistance please feel free to write to us or call us on 08456077787.

You can also contact us through our online chat support at:
http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/tech/n ... upport.asp

Regards,

Tess Smith
Belkin Technical Support