Howto compile HSF/HCF drivers for Puppy2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
panzerpuppy

#21 Post by panzerpuppy »

Any progress with this free driver port to k2.16?
I'm especially interested in the HCF driver progress.

By the way,is there a .pup/.pet package available of this free HSF driver port?
I'd also like to know if they work now with the newest Puppy 3.01

benign

What now? Help needed!

#22 Post by benign »

I'm new to Puppy, I've only had it for a few days because I was using it to recover data from a hard drive that was submerged. Anyway, it seems like a nice little distro, so I'm trying to get everything working properly to get more familiarized with linux.

I'm using 2.16seamonkey_fulldrivers.iso or whatever it's called.

I've downloaded the HSF drivers for my modem (14F1:2f30) and was able to compile them after downloading and extracting linux-2.6.18.1-scripts.tar.bz2 and devx_216.sfs

I try to run HSFCONFIG, but it won't let me enter a region, it says FOLD command not available; however, I can still dial the modem, and the handshake seems normal, but no connection is made.

So I downloaded the missing_files.rar that contain:

libacl.so.1.1.0 (libacl.so.1)
libattr.so.1.1.0 (libattr.so.1)
libproc.so.3.1.8 (libproc.so.3.1.9)
libselinux.so.1
libsepol.so.1
ls
sysctl

I renamed the files to what is in parenthesis, and put all the lib* files in the /lib directory. I put a copy of sysctl in /bin and /sbin (wasn't sure), and renamed the original ls in /bin to lsorig before replacing it with the above ls. Then I rebooted.

Now, if I run the new ls, I get an error about shared libs or something. If I replace the new ls with the original ls, there are no errors when I run ls.

The problem still remains: I can't get HSFCONFIG to recognize the region, nor get linux to use the FOLD command.

I've read about symbolically linking, but I have no idea what that means other then I think it has something to do with the ln -s command.

Any help would be appreciated!

muggins

#23 Post by muggins »

I just thought I'd post here that I'm sending this with a HSF modem, (14f1:2f00), using pup2.16 & a ubuntu/dell driver, and it's not speed restricted.

I never came up against any issues with a fold command. I've posted in this other thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 841#175841

craftybytes

#24 Post by craftybytes »

I don't think a .pet package is doable for the hcf/hsf modem drivers from Conexant..

The reason being that when one does a 'compile' of the drivers - how the driver compiles depends specifically on what "model/type" of winmodem you have in your computer..

The Conexant drivers package available as .deb package ( @muggins ubuntu/dell driver would be one of these ) are actually the base driver package that then is used to "compile" the relevant modem drivers WITHIN the Linux kernel being used AND against the physical winmodem 'model/type' in the computer ( e.g.. @muggins HSF modem 14f1:2f00 )..

I believe therefore it would be very difficult to put together a 'generic' .pet package that would be capable of covering ALL the various 'models/types' of hcf/hsf based ( Conexant ) winmodems that may be used by Puppy users..

As this particular thread explains - you need to do a 'compile' for YOUR particular modem's drivers..

Even NathanF had to 'compile' as @jcoder24 stated earlier in one of his posts -

Code: Select all

NathanF has compiled hsf drivers into the latest version of grafpup.
The only other possibility is that if all of us Puppy users who have been successful in 'compiling' and using the Conexant based winmodem drivers for their particular modems were to submit their working 'modem drivers' to a common pool (yet to be determined) - then maybe other Puppy users looking for these "drivers" could benefit from our efforts - this might be worth further discussion..

Just my 2 c'ss of ranting..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

jcoder24

#25 Post by jcoder24 »

The hcf/hsf drivers typically have the facility to handle the different model/types of modems.

The problem with creating a generic package of the hsf driver is that one would have to be created for each kernel version used by puppy.

These dell drivers from the license file appears to be Linuxant based, so it would be interesting to find out how dell managed this one.

craftybytes

#26 Post by craftybytes »

Yep - that is surely the crux of the matter -

Code: Select all

The problem with creating a generic package of the hsf driver is that one would have to be created for each kernel version used by puppy. 
How many kernel versions has Puppy used say since Puppy v2.10..??

I'm sure there may be some 'backward-compatibility' of use of earlier versions of the modem drivers able to be installed in later versions of Puppy - but can say a driver compiled for kernel version 2.6.15 work properly in a Puppy with kernel version 2.6.18.x - or even 2.6.20.x - or even in Puppy 3.x series with kernel 2.6.21.x ..?

It does seem from user experience that ANY Linuxant/Conexant HSF/HCF modem drivers to work correctly really MUST be 'compiled' against the version of kernel for the particular Puppy being used AND against the actual physical 'model/type' of modem card installed in the users computer - otherwise we be getting into the realms of "maybe/maybe not"..!!

Anyway - those of us who still use these modem cards will just have to be more aware of the limitations that Linuxant have forced on us as Linux & Puppy users..

crafty.
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

tempestuous

#27 Post by tempestuous »

jcoder24 wrote: one would have to be created for each kernel version used by puppy.
With the current situation of 3 different streams of Puppy (2.x,3.x,4.x), plus a few official "retro" versions, plus the bizarre plethora of derivatives, it certainly seems complex. But actually there are only a few different kernels in use:

Puppy 2.0/2.01 = k2.6.16.7
Puppy 2.02/2.10/2.11 = k2.6.16.7-variant
Puppy 2.12-2.16 = k2.6.18.1
Puppy 2.17 = k2.6.21.5
Puppy 3.x = k2.6.21.7
Puppy 4.x unconfirmed, but possibly 2.6.25

Puppy 2.17 was really an intermediate version leading up to Puppy 3.0, and anything earlier than Puppy 2.14 lacks important updates.
So until Puppy4's kernel is finalised, there are really only 2 kernels that need to be supported:
2.6.18.1 and 2.6.21.7

That's not too bad. And Puppy4-retro has the same 2.6.21.7 kernel as Puppy3, so this is a solution for HCF/HSF users who want to use Puppy4.