Pdrive 0.27

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
zigbert

#61 Post by zigbert »

So what we got here:
- hda1 is not recognized in 0.17 but in 0.8 (and in Pmount).
- probepart detects it as ext3
- you can manually mount it with 'mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1' ???

since Pdrive is using Dougals latest Pmount-code it would be nice if you checks that one (attached).

Thanks
Sigmund
Attachments
pmount3_1.tar.gz
(6.74 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

maddox

#62 Post by maddox »

hi zigbert,
thanks for posting the older Pdrive files as it gave me an opportunity to test them out..
my results follow...

Pdrive 0.8 to 0.13
cd-rom mount/unmount broke after Pdrive 0.13
no ntfs mount/unmount

Pdrive 0.16 and up
cd-rom mount/unmount -> fixed
ntfs mount/unmount -> FIXED + volume label

hope this help you
maddox
Last edited by maddox on Wed 31 Oct 2007, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#63 Post by zigbert »

I had to change the Pmount-code to get this work. I hope it didn't crash something else. Please test 0.18.

What about your hda1?

maddox

#64 Post by maddox »

hello zigbert again,
just downloaded Pdrive 0.18
my results :
hda with it's partitions is displayed correctly
tried giving ext 2/3 a volume label, works from ver 0.13- up,
didn't try before ver 0.13

Tried Pdrive 0.18 daemon with usb-stick -> OK

Forgot to mention minor cosmetic bug,
Pmount will automatically eject cd-rom upon unmount..

you're getting much closer to the solution.
sorry for the long post before, will try to keep to the point... Image
maddox
Last edited by maddox on Wed 31 Oct 2007, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

JB4x4

#65 Post by JB4x4 »

zigbert,

Sorry, no go with hda1. The partition will manually mount from the command prompt, and is both seen and mounted by MUT. As for the pmount code, its "sees" hda1, but returns this same message -

FAILURE! In the case of removable media, the most
common reason is the media is not currently inserted.
Or, you forgot to unmount the previously inserted media.
If so, please remedy.

I also noted that hda9 is listed as "hda9 - /1" - Clicking this only mounts hda9 though.

Could you repost 0.7 and 0.9 for testing ? I was pretty sure that one of them worked. (Should have said something sooner)

JB

zigbert

#66 Post by zigbert »

JB4x4
- Pdrive 0.9 is attached. Please report.
- Have you tried the latest 0.18?
- Does hda1 gets detected by the latest Pmount? See some posts above.
- Please give us the result of 'disktype /dev/hda1' in terminal.
- It seems that hda9 is either ext or ntfs? Please return the output of 'e2label /dev/hda9' and 'ntfslabel -f /dev/hda9'

Sigmund
Attachments
pdrive-0.9.pet
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Last edited by zigbert on Mon 29 Oct 2007, 07:50, edited 2 times in total.

zigbert

#67 Post by zigbert »

maddoxThe eject is set in Pmount-code, and I guess that is a matter of taste. Maybe we could make it optional...

Good to hear that it seems to work for you.

Sigmund

JB4x4

#68 Post by JB4x4 »

zigbert,

Well.... It wasn't pdrive 0.9 - I don't know what to say, The partition is mountable via command line, its just my grub/boot partition, and maybe not worth the hassle..... I wish I could code more and help figure this out. Anyways, here is the info you requested.

disktype /dev/hda1

Code: Select all

--- /dev/hda1
Block device, size 94.10 MiB (98671104 bytes)
Ext3 file system
  UUID 9635993B-1AE6-4B3C-BB18-81E942AB048C (DCE, v4)
  Volume size 94.10 MiB (98668544 bytes, 96356 blocks of 1 KiB)
e2label /dev/hda9

/1
ntfslabel -f /dev/hda9

Failed to startup volume : Invalid argument
Couldn't mount device '/dev/hda9' : Invalid argument
hda9 is ext3 - and I have no idea why it has that label.

JB

zigbert

#69 Post by zigbert »

its just my grub/boot partition, and maybe not worth the hassle.....
I don't get this. Do anybody else got similar experiences? Here we got a ordinary linux partition that is not detected???????
hda9 is ext3 - and I have no idea why it has that label.
You can use Pdrive (menu) to change that label.

JB4x4

#70 Post by JB4x4 »

zigbert,

Solved part of my problem - I guess I didn't mention hda had 15 partitions (so I'm strange :) ). The code in pmount / pdrive only accommodates 14, so I made the following corrections.

if [ ! "$PARTSDISKN" = "" ];then
  PART1DISKN="";PART2DISKN="";PART3DISKN="";PART4DISKN=""
  PART5DISKN="";PART6DISKN="";PART7DISKN="";PART8DISKN="";PART9DISKN=""
  PART10DISKN="";PART11DISKN="";PART12DISKN="";PART13DISKN="";PART14DISKN=""
  NUMLINES=`echo "$PARTSDISKN" | wc -l | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' '`
  while [ $NUMLINES -gt 0 ];do
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 14 ] && PART1DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 14 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 13 ] && PART2DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 13 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 12 ] && PART3DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 12 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 11 ] && PART4DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 11 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 10 ] && PART5DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 10 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 9 ] && PART6DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 9 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 8 ] && PART7DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 8 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 7 ] && PART8DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 7 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 6 ] && PART9DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 6 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 5 ] && PART10DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 5 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 4 ] && PART11DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 4 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 3 ] && PART12DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 3 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 2 ] && PART13DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 2 | head -n 1`"
   [ $NUMLINES -eq 1 ] && PART14DISKN="`echo -n "$PARTSDISKN" | tail -n 1 | head -n 1`"
   NUMLINES=`expr $NUMLINES - 1`
  done

#zigbert
  if [ `echo "$PARTSDISKN" | grep -c "/dev/"` -gt 1 ]; then
  	echo "Harddisk|||" >> /tmp/pdrive-treeitems 
  fi
  #---

for PARTNDISKN in "$PART1DISKN" "$PART2DISKN" "$PART3DISKN" "$PART4DISKN" "$PART5DISKN" "$PART6DISKN" "$PART7DISKN" "$PART8DISKN" "$PART9DISKN" "$PART10DISKN" "$PART11DISKN" "$PART12DISKN" "$PART13DISKN" "$PART14DISKN"
Basically, I added in references to PART14 as necessary. PDrive now sees hda1, but there are mounting errors. --Directory XXX not found --- File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: XXX --- and /initrd/mnt/dev_save is opened in a rox window. If I manually mount via the command line and hit refresh PDrive does change its mount status.

On another note, tried to change the drive label for hda9 to "nothing" (it had the label of /1), PDrive did not change it. I did get it changed from the command line ( e2label /dev/hda9 "" ).

Hope some of this helps,
JB

zigbert

#71 Post by zigbert »

Thanks!

I'll try to correct it.

Sigmund

maddox

#72 Post by maddox »

hello zigbert,
I've just translated pdrive 0.18 into french for Toutou, french puppy.
I'm using fr locale and ch kbd in Toutou (puppy)
Got a problem, really sorry to bug you.. looked around but to no avail..
Here i go, how do you incorporate accents into scripts as they display incorrectly by just typing them in:
é accent accute e , ô accent circonflex o ...
you must have the same problem in german and other european languages, can you or others give me some pointers please..
many thanks for your ongoing work

maddox

eden6000

#73 Post by eden6000 »

Hi everybody,
really a great idea this mounter...I tried it and wanted to give my little contribution (hoping someone hasn't already said the things I suggest, I didn't read all the posts..).
I find really useful the automounting of usb devices, but I noticed that the auto opening of a rox window does not always happen after inserting an usb device...pdrive starts, but rox doesn't open..
secondly I think (cosmetic) it should be nice that after automounting the device, an icon appear on the desktop, maybe with a right-click to unmount the device (something like in ubuntu).
Thanks to all for making this puppy so great!

cb88

#74 Post by cb88 »

can the drive drive icon on the desktop be done through rox? I know rox allows programs to appear as icons is there a command line option to force that?

also how would you auto start usb detection on boot as it is doesn't it require that you run pdrive first?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

wingruntled

#75 Post by wingruntled »

eden6000
You can unmount a device by right clicking on it IF it is mounted. For convenience I opened ROX and drug all my mountable device folders over onto the desktop from /mnt.
I found that after a device is mounted the icon will automatically change. I mounted my hda1 partition in the the first pic below and as you can see it's green with a dot in it. Now if I right click on the icon I had the option to unmount it as shown in the second pic below.
What would be nice is if I could mount devices in the same way but right-click doesn't have the mount option, which I find odd.
I'm using puppy 2.17.1 but I think it's the same for all versions.
Attachments
unmount.png
(71.62 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
mounted.png
(88.32 KiB) Downloaded 617 times

cb88

#76 Post by cb88 »

I meant like a dynamic icon that is there if a usb stick is in or goes away if you take it out...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

zigbert

#77 Post by zigbert »

maddox wrote:how do you incorporate accents into scripts as they display incorrectly by just typing them in:
é accent accute e , ô accent circonflex o ...
If you use charset UTF-8 when translating, it all should be ok. This can be set in both geany and leafpad. Remember that rxvt doesn't accept utf-8. esmourgit had the same problem with Pbackup.
cb88 wrote:how would you auto start usb detection on boot as it is doesn't it require that you run pdrive first?
It should be added in /root/.xinitrc when activating deamon. It should start when boot reach xwin.
eden6000 wrote:I find really useful the automounting of usb devices, but I noticed that the auto opening of a rox window does not always happen after inserting an usb device...pdrive starts, but rox doesn't open..
Can you find out when it opens, and when it doesn't?

Regarding icons: One icon are double size of the whole program including the automounter. To include such a bloat, this icon(s) should be VERY nice and VERY useful :wink:

But, that is my opinion.
Please make icons, have fun, spread the news, make others happy.

Sigmund

cb88

#78 Post by cb88 »

proceduarally gerarate the icon..... :twisted:

but actually that apdir i made had an icon.... it is an 11kb tar.gz and the normal one is 10kb .pet which is a .tar with no compressing... so guess you are right.... although you could just link to an icon that is already in puppy.... or procedurally gernerate a new one based on one that is already in puppy..... :twisted:

eden6000

#79 Post by eden6000 »

Infact, that's what I meant, eventually link to an icon already present in puppy, in order not to increase the size of the package...I'm thinking about the newbies and the ex windowzers, they plug in an usb and....nothing happens? but it also is useful for regular users, why not have some little nice apps like this one to make things easier?
Concerning the auto opening of rox, it's strange, but it pratically never opens, although the box in the preferences is ticked...

maddox

#80 Post by maddox »

---edited---
thanks for taking your valuable time to answer, and all your work Image
maddox
Last edited by maddox on Sun 25 Nov 2007, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.