ChurchPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
LOF

#201 Post by LOF »

Right. Here we go.

Just to update you guys, I'm having major problems with my Puppy machine at the moment. Hardware probs not software, I'm afraid.

Thus I've finally come to the conclusion that I won't be able to make ChurchPup for an age or two. However I have a compromise. Would someone (who is probably gonna be more experienced at programming Puppy than I am anyway) like to act as ChurchPup developer and actually create the distro. I am more of an ideas/management person over an actual programmer and so if there's anyone who wants to take up the challenge of actually making ChurchPup, please reply here.

We've got most of the ideas pretty much sorted out so it shouldn't be too much trouble. All I'd need is someone who knows what they're doing and is willing just to throw it all together.

Of course it could be done by a couple or team of people but that's up to everyone else. I'd just like to see if anyone is interested/supports the idea. This should be a team effort anyway, not just me making a pup.

God bless and sorry to those still waiting.

LOF
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]
:D

PrairieDog

#202 Post by PrairieDog »

Hello Brothers,

I must confess I've been anxious to begin building this Puplet.

Please understand, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed , But if you all will permit me, I would Love to start putting together an unleashed version of Puppy containing some of the apps we've been talking about here with LOF's guidance. That would at least make a foundation to build on. There must be a wide variety of hardware among us,and that should make for a good testing ground.
LOF wrote:All I'd need is someone who knows what they're doing
as I was saying....
PrairieDog wrote:not the sharpest tool in the shed
Nehemiah 2:18 ...."They said, “Let’s rise up and build.

Subito Piano

go for it!

#203 Post by Subito Piano »

You go Prairie Dog!

We do not all agree on what constitutes a good "chrurchpup," tho...so let me explain what i'm thinking...

I've kinda built what i needed from scratch. At http://janitorofgod.com/puppylinux/ i found both the BibleDesktop dotpet and a nice FF/TBird replacement dotpet with ProCon built into it. It disables SeaMonkey and Dillo so it provides a pretty good filtering system not easy to get around, after a bit of tweaking. (You have to physically remove SeaMonkey if you want it totally gone.) For me, this is my primary need. Others prefer SeaMonkey. Still others want this or that Bible program, etc. So i suggest:

DO go build the churchpup. However, how about posting a web page for Church Pup that lists links to all the appropriate programs that we Christians would be interested in? That way, if someone wants a no-fuss Church Pup, he or she can download the "official" ChruchPup ready-to-go. On the other hand, for those who want a customized version, there would be central location with links to dotpets (or sfs files) of all the good Bible programs, Christian themes, net filters, etc., that were suggested for Church Pup -- both the ones chosen for the final "official" version and alternatives that didn't "make the cut." Anyone who wanted to could create a "Custom Church Pup" by simply downloading ChurchPup, the lastest Puppy, barebones, or empty crust, and then have "one-stop shopping" at this web page for all the add-ons needed for their own Church pup derivative.

Yeah, i know we can do this already, but to have all the relevant Christian dotpets in one place (both official and unofficial) would save us a lot of hunting and pecking. What say ye??

PrairieDog

Re: go for it!

#204 Post by PrairieDog »

Subito Piano wrote:What say ye??
AYE!! Um.. I mean AMEN!! Good idea Bro.

I still would like a go-ahead from LOF before I start in earnest, but I should be able to host the ChurchPup specific DotPets at janitorofgod.com for the foreseeable future, so making all the various components available should be no problem. The "official" dotpets (OpenOffice and so on)will of course be at ibiblio and it's various mirrors.

I know that my redeemer lives

Mark

edoc

#205 Post by edoc »

I'd sure like to see the NEXT Bible resources ported over and available if possible.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

PrairieDog

#206 Post by PrairieDog »

edoc wrote:I'd sure like to see the NEXT Bible resources ported over and available if possible.
Hello Doc,

As a matter of fact the DotPet at:

http://janitorofgod.com/puppylinux/html-bibles.pet

does contain the classic NET Bible from http://www.bible.org/ as well as the WEB Bible, I was really impressed with it! I may re-upload these and others as separate packages soon.

Be not conformed to this world.

Mark

edoc

#207 Post by edoc »

Thank you! It is a wonderful resource!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

KF6SNJ

#208 Post by KF6SNJ »

Subito Piano wrote:You go Prairie Dog!

We do not all agree on what constitutes a good "chrurchpup," tho...so let me explain what i'm thinking...

I've kinda built what i needed from scratch. At http://janitorofgod.com/puppylinux/ i found both the BibleDesktop dotpet and a nice FF/TBird replacement dotpet with ProCon built into it. It disables SeaMonkey and Dillo so it provides a pretty good filtering system not easy to get around, after a bit of tweaking. (You have to physically remove SeaMonkey if you want it totally gone.) For me, this is my primary need. Others prefer SeaMonkey. Still others want this or that Bible program, etc. So i suggest:

DO go build the churchpup. However, how about posting a web page for Church Pup that lists links to all the appropriate programs that we Christians would be interested in? That way, if someone wants a no-fuss Church Pup, he or she can download the "official" ChruchPup ready-to-go. On the other hand, for those who want a customized version, there would be central location with links to dotpets (or sfs files) of all the good Bible programs, Christian themes, net filters, etc., that were suggested for Church Pup -- both the ones chosen for the final "official" version and alternatives that didn't "make the cut." Anyone who wanted to could create a "Custom Church Pup" by simply downloading ChurchPup, the lastest Puppy, barebones, or empty crust, and then have "one-stop shopping" at this web page for all the add-ons needed for their own Church pup derivative.

Yeah, i know we can do this already, but to have all the relevant Christian dotpets in one place (both official and unofficial) would save us a lot of hunting and pecking. What say ye??

I agree. This really gives us the best of both Puppy and what we feel should be in ChurchPup. To this end, I guess I am already running ChurchPup and never knew it.....

LOF

#209 Post by LOF »

PrairieDog wrote:I still would like a go-ahead from LOF before I start in earnest, but I should be able to host the ChurchPup specific DotPets at janitorofgod.com for the foreseeable future, so making all the various components available should be no problem.
Consider your go-ahead given. Drop me an email/PM and I can pass on a few ideas I've come up with. Good luck. Glad to see we have the blessing of the community.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

KF6SNJ

#210 Post by KF6SNJ »

PrairieDog wrote:
edoc wrote:I'd sure like to see the NEXT Bible resources ported over and available if possible.
Hello Doc,

As a matter of fact the DotPet at:

http://janitorofgod.com/puppylinux/html-bibles.pet

does contain the classic NET Bible from http://www.bible.org/ as well as the WEB Bible, I was really impressed with it! I may re-upload these and others as separate packages soon.

Be not conformed to this world.

Mark

The janitorofgod website is down.

LOF

#211 Post by LOF »

http://janitorofgod.com/puppylinux/

Still up for me. Haven't tried downloading anything though.
Cheers,

[b]LOF[/b]

KF6SNJ

#212 Post by KF6SNJ »

Must have been a network error on my end. It worked today. I am going to completely wipe and reinstall Puppy 3.00 today after I finish my report on Moses' brother Aaron for my OT class. Thanks for checking that link for me. I will install some of those files again after I fix my system.

PrairieDog

#213 Post by PrairieDog »

KF6SNJ wrote:Must have been a network error on my end
Not necessarily, It's an extremely cheap web host. 3 dollars a month, I should find something better If I want to share Puppy files with you all,

Just to update everyone, LOF and I have been playing email tag assembling a pre-alpha of Churchpup. I plan on getting the iso file to him this week for a look see and after a little polishing we can share the resulting alpha with everyone.

I suppose now would be a good time to find better web space..... :D

Watch and Pray

Mark

KF6SNJ

#214 Post by KF6SNJ »

Mark, I am interested in seeing where this is going. However, my big project for tonight is to do a wipe and reload of puppy. I tried the gslapt.pet package and now opera no longer works for me. Whatever. I hope everyone had a good day at church today.

Subito Piano

#215 Post by Subito Piano »

Hmm -- the school website has a 500 GB monthly transfer rate which we barely touch. Perhaps we could put a church pup download page there? The drawback is having our school name in the website, but the benefit is that it's paid for. This is one way we can share resources among the body. Lemme know, i can ask our principal.

Oh yeah - our website is www.elmirachristianacademy.com if you wish to check it out.

PrairieDog

#216 Post by PrairieDog »

Subito Piano wrote:Perhaps we could put a church pup download page there?
I think that would be a great help! My bandwidth allotment is ok But no where near 500 GB. We'd appreciate it if you could make inquiries.

Mark

Subito Piano

#217 Post by Subito Piano »

I will TRY to get SOMEthing up this weekend. If i succeed, it might not be too pretty as it's the end of the first quarter and a busy weekend, but i can tweak it later. (Got to include that cute logo at any rate! 8) ) I'll post another reply here when it's up so you all can have a look and post your suggestions.

Subito Piano

ZERO COPY!

#218 Post by Subito Piano »

OK guys -- the bare outline of a ChurchPup download page can be found here. Now i need your help:

First - the janitorofGod website is not cooperating, so i have only been able to download the first dotpet on my server. All the other links simply point back to janitorofGod right now. Until i can somehow get those files, i'm helpless. I can post my email address if one of you (Mark?) wants to send them directly to me. (Hope my borrowing from your website is OK--lemme know if not and i will change it.)

Second - i'm sure there are more dotpets or whatever that i can link to (or "host") on this page. Post some ideas here. I will link to the pages where these dotpets, xpi files, whatever, can be downloaded. I can also copy the files onto our server for direct downloading from this page, if appropriate. Also, i suppose i can upload wallpapers and themes that are "official ChurchPup" items (perhaps ONE download package with a dozen wallpapers in it?) -- but i don't see any point in linking to nice "Christian" wallpapers in general. Those are easy enough to find.

Third - should we stay ONLY with distinctly "Christian" and "family-friendly" items, or should the page link to ministry-related items like TuxCards, the Audacity dotpup (petget? what ARE they called nowadays?!?!?!), or whatever?

Fourth - there was a lot of talk of XBible, ESword w/ WINE, etc. If they are Puppy-ready, send the link or dotpet!

Lastly -- i'm no expert. Advice is appreciated. I am just a little nervous, not just regarding copyright infringement, but about breaking protocols and offending someone. Let me know of any faux pas on my part...!!!

LATER when we are moderately satisfied this looks good, we can start linking to it and posting on the Puppy WIKIs or whatever. Not yet PLEASE!!

Blessings--

PrairieDog

Re: ZERO COPY!

#219 Post by PrairieDog »

Subito Piano wrote:the janitorofGod website is not cooperating
Sorry about the site everyone. It always has been a little unreliable, OK Very unreliable. Just now all the links worked for me except one and that file turned out to be missing :oops:

Subito, The site you put up looks Awesome! I mean that! Just what was needed.

If you like I'll try and email you as many pets as I can, some may be too large.You may want to try the site again later. I will find some better hosting this weekend I promise. LOF and I both downloaded a ChurchPup Pre-alpha iso a few days ago which was very large so service just seems to come and go.

There's just a few more details to work out before we post the first attempt. (among which are web hosting and Brother LOF finding some free time)

Patience is a fruit of the Spirit. just keep saying that..over.......and.......over.........

We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture,

Mark

Subito Piano

#220 Post by Subito Piano »

Great -- glad you like it. YOU started it!

Don't worry about getting new webhosting if it's only because of ChurchPup -- ECA's website has been up with Netfirms for what -- six years now. We aren't going anywhere else soon so let us handle the large file transfers.

Having said that, idk how big an attachment i can receive, but it looks like 20MB tops. My school address is thru RoadRunner and perhaps that can take a larger file? Another thought is that we could do something thru JumboDir or Box.net or something. I mean, if worse comes to absolute worst, we could resort to burning a CD and snail mail it...!!! :shock: