NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download

News, happenings
gray

NOP (Nearly Office Pup) 3.01 final available for download

#1 Post by gray »

NOP 3.01 is ready.

NOP 3 is a puplet that uses the Xfce4.4.1 window manager and is meant to be used on a USB pendrive in conjunction with an OpenOffice SFS file (hence the name - it is Nearly Office Pup). Alternatively the goffice SFS file can be used (Abiword / Gnumeric).
The concept of the pup is to reduce duplication of applications and make a no nonsense working dog.

NOP uses the Opera web browser (9.23), which also makes a good e-mail client, chat client and torrent / download manager. Flash 7 is pre-installed (Flash 9 still gives problems for Opera).

Edit : Correction, Flash 9 now works -download from adobe site & copy files to opera plugins folder!! :D

In this latest version of NOP I have decided not to pre-install Nvidia drivers - they are available as pet packages and can now be easily added. Also the Xfce documentation has been removed -there are now links to online help. This keeps the size down to just 88 Mb.

Remember, if you install any scripts that call Rox they will have to be edited to replace rox or rox -d calls with thunar and comment out rox -D calls.

Revision 1
I have updated NOP to revision 1 [only 90Mb] with minor changes:

Opera 9.24 with FLASH9
Added ripperX
Added rox script to redirect calls to use Thunar, so no need to edit scripts to replace rox calls.
Updated parted to 1.8.8
added working insmod
Fixed typo in init script re OLDFILEMOUNT
While I was there I commented out the fsck check on savefiles at boot.

The last one could be an issue. I know the fsck has been causing long delays for some people and as I understand it Puppy 2.17 and 2.16 didnt do the check and still worked fine.

Revision 2

Xfce updated to 4.4.2
added full tinlylogin
QTparted replaced Gparted
Updated mtPaint to v3.19
Pburn replaces Grafburn
Updated Pfind to 3.2
Added cdrdao library
Added xorg OpenGL libraries for easy install of compiz.

Revision 3

Opera 9.25
Pburn 0.6
Xine-ui replaces gxine

Revision 5

Opera 9.25 static build.
Qt libs removed
back to using Gparted
Pburn update to 0.9.3
Hardinfo utility added
xdelta3 added

Revision 6
Opera 9.26 static
Pburn 1.22 +theme
cdrdao removed (not needed by pburn anymore)
Pfind 3.4
Galculator
Gpicview in place of ristretto
NOW WITH HOTPUP !

Now kindly hosted by Caneri at http://www.puppylinux.ca/NOP/
Last edited by gray on Tue 18 Mar 2008, 06:55, edited 7 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Superb!

Have not been so impressed with a puplet since SimplePup . . .
Interestingly you use xfce too - it really is a nice interface which includes the 'Thunar' file manager

It has a default XP look and feel which works for me. The theme is easily changed with Menu / Settings / Settings manager for those unable to bear even a taint of Redmond . . . (Be strong)

The invisible xfce menu bar is invisible until the mouse is move to the top and middle of the screen.

I also downloaded goffice.sfs (it is not called that but I renamed it) and set this up with the bootmanager.
Initially I did not have abiword or gnumeric on the menu. Then I played about with the look and feel and they appeared in the office section . . . Cool

NOP seems faster than the standard Puppy 3.01Beta due to the smaller size and use of Opera, I suppose . . .

The menu system is different in layout to Puppys and took a few minutes getting used to . . .

Barry is uploading 3.01 in the next few hours, so I very much look forward to your final version.

Congratulations. Initial impressions are important. I am impressed.

woof! woof!
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

very useful

#3 Post by raffy »

Yes, this is a very useful build - will be easy to deploy for network-booting, with the user having an option to load (local) sfs at boot-time.

Have you noted the size difference between the new and retro kernels? Will it make much difference if the retro kernel is used?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

gray

NOP 3.01 beta

#4 Post by gray »

Lobster, it does seem faster doesn't it? I thought it was just my imagination at first. I dont think the slightly smaller size and Opera explain it though (though am sure O helps :D ).

Downloadin Puppy 3.01 final now, so should have NOP final out in a couple of days.

Regarding menu updates, it seems to take Xfce a while to realize things have changed and update menus accordingly. I have tried to find the 'trigger' for this - such as using the settings manager, but no luck - it updates in its own time.

Raffy, using the retro kernel should knock off around 4 meg in size I guess, but I prefer to stick with the cutting edge.

gray

NOP 3.01 Final Available

#5 Post by gray »

NOP 3.01 has finally hit the streets. :D :D

Tuxfamily download site above is a bit slow, so it would be cool if someone could mirror, thanks.

raffy

Mirror by raffy

#6 Post by raffy »

Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: NOP 3.01 beta

#7 Post by Lobster »

gray wrote:Lobster, it does seem faster doesn't it? I thought it was just my imagination at first. I dont think the slightly smaller size and Opera explain it though (though am sure O helps :D ).
Well I liked it so much I created a small version of tmxxine using NOP as the base. A puplet of a puplet. Would that be a pupletto?

http://tmxxine.com/Wikka/wikka.php?wakk ... xxineShard
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Previously known as Guest

#8 Post by Previously known as Guest »

Mirrored:
http://pkagfiles.net > puppy-mirror-isos > NOP

dragonfly

Re: Mirror by raffy

#9 Post by dragonfly »

:D Thanks Gray for your job and Raffy for providing the link.

Bahurim

#10 Post by Bahurim »

Is MU's dotpup installer program in there still? Or is it just not in the menus?

Great puplet you have here gray! I love having xfce and no other wm's. BTW, how much extra space does xfce take up after removing jwm, geany, rox, etc...?

Caneri

#11 Post by Caneri »

[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

panda_watch

#12 Post by panda_watch »

just curious. I know NOP is designed for a USB pen drive but can it be intalled to Hard Drive as a full partition install.

Cheers

gray

NOP

#13 Post by gray »

Full hard drive install ? No reason why not - should behave like a normal puppy. I prefer a frugal install myself though.

xant

BUG?

#14 Post by xant »

Hello, IMHO it's the best pupplet, I could hardly wait to come finally with the 3x improvements.
Has anyone problem with encrypted personal files also? For me for some reason NOP is not asking for password and fail to load the personal file. Even if I create a brand new with NOP.

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Nice piece of work - again(!), gray.
Has the trans-Oz solar-powered car race passed your way, yet?

Update: Just found a few minutes to install it. Certainly a masterstroke to use MUT & Opera; however distasteful, XP-ish is the sort of thinking that enables me to 'sell' Puppy to a sceptical audience. Glad you live in Oz!!
Last edited by Sage on Sun 04 Nov 2007, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.

puppylinuxw

#16 Post by puppylinuxw »

This is curious.
I was asked 3 times for password when creating pupsave file.

klu9

#17 Post by klu9 »

thanks for NOP 3.01!

I had trouble downloading from tuxfamily, then from MiniPC.org. But I made a metalink with those two and the puppylinux.ca mirror and got the file fine in half an hour. (looks like most of it came for puppylinux.ca, thanks caneri)

I've updated the NOP page on the wiki with those download mirrors and a metalink.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyNOP

When I get a CDR and have burned it, taken some screenshots etc, I might upload torrent for NOP at linuxtracker.org. But others would need to help seed it because my upload connection sucks.

PS, if you get the metalink, but it says "puppy-301-NOP.iso.xml", just change that ".xml" to ".metalink" and it works fine.

Ole

#18 Post by Ole »

thanks for NOP 3.01!
Hear, hear!.

ericstr

NOP 3.01 is here

#19 Post by ericstr »

Great job!! I love the xfce interface. It took a little playing around to get the icons to work for me. I had the standard puppy 3.01 installed before.

JB4x4's post was very helpful:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22344

Also, the following link helped for thunar:
http://thunar.xfce.org/pwiki/documentation/faq

gray

Revision 1

#20 Post by gray »

Updated NOP 3.01 to revision 1. See first post.