osmo: a personal organiser

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
muggins

osmo: a personal organiser

#1 Post by muggins »

Osmo is a handy personal organizer which includes calendar, tasks manager and address book modules. It was designed to be a small, easy to use and good looking PIM tool to help to manage personal information. In current state the organizer is quite convenient in use - for example, user can perform nearly all operations using keyboard. Also, a lot of parameters are configurable to meet user preferences. On the technical side, Osmo is GTK+ based tool which use plain XML database to store all personal data.
http://clay.ll.pl/osmo/

Start via Menu->Personal->Osmo, or by typing osmo.

Note Version 1.2 will run on pupversions 2.xxx however Osmo-0.2.0, due to requiring gtk>=v2.10.0, is for pup 3.xxx series.
Attachments
osmo-0.1.2-i486.pet
(161.67 KiB) Downloaded 1273 times
osmo.jpg
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 3280 times
Last edited by muggins on Sun 10 Feb 2008, 00:48, edited 3 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

8) I think it is superb

the xml files it creates are in /root/.ozmo
(that is a hidden directory - click on the eye symbol in ROX to see hidden directories)

It is small, fast and efficient. I will be interested to see how it measures up to use. The size makes it very Puppy friendly :)

woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

and i think, going on the osmo site, that the developer has additional features planned. the only thing i wasn't sure about was resizing the actual app, but the developer advised me, via email, that size settings were stored in /root/.osmo/config.xml.

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

muggins wrote:and i think, going on the osmo site, that the developer has additional features planned. the only thing i wasn't sure about was resizing the actual app, but the developer advised me, via email, that size settings were stored in /root/.osmo/config.xml.
if you've got a dialog going with the developer, could you mention synce support (if it's not on the developer's list already)?

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

hi john,

i wouldn't call it a dialogue as i've just sent the one email query. but if you've got any recommendations it's best if it comes from you...especially since i've got no idea what synce support is! what if i request it & he feeds straight back to me with a question?

i've found that most developers appreciate honest queries & feedback.

John Doe

#6 Post by John Doe »

thanks for the info, I'll try to write up something.

maybe i could even help a bit with some code. i'm still a bit rough with c syntax, but understand it for the most part.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

muggins,
would you mind posting the source? I can't get it from the author's site.

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

here is the source... for 1.1 which seems to be what muggins has compiled was it timeing out or somthing for you barry?
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Thanks for that. The author's site does not respond at all -- I get a perpetual "Loading..." in the tab. Just tried now, same thing.

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

barry,

i just tried & had no problems. it might be that you're having isp issues? location?

jonyo

#11 Post by jonyo »

@cb88. Thought that dude was havin a pizza there for a sec :lol:

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

Uploaded latest release, v0.1.2, and added a menu entry.

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

Here's the latest release of osmo.

N.B. As the developer has upgraded the gtk version required to compile this, (gtk+ >= 2.10), the program will only work on pup3.0+ versions. (I vaguely recall pup2.17 had gtk 2.10?).

Edit: See first post.
Last edited by muggins on Sun 10 Feb 2008, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Curses, the same problem. Muggins, would you mind posting the source too?

It really is weird. Right now I'm in Perth, connected with iinet. The Osmo site won't load. It's an unusual URL, maybe that's a problem for iinet.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

Hi Barry,

have attached the sources. This version definitely not to be installed in pup2xx series. I just did so, as a test to see what would happen, and now the package manager is aborting.

maddox

#16 Post by maddox »

hi muggins, thanks for posting the new osmo pet.
will try it out, as we tried the older pet with an osmo.po for french,
but the accents didn't render correctly, tried iso-8859-1 and utf-8
away for 15 days but will keep you posted when I'm back.
I'm working with esmourguit with the strict french translation of puppy
Toutou, no mods, just a straight translation
Merry X-mas, a happy new year and a big woof woof to all :)
maddox

Joshas

#17 Post by Joshas »

I'm having trouble with OSMO localization too. After translating almost every line to Lithuanian, OSMO doesn't show any Lithuanian letters (shows question marks, in some cases shows only blank instead of word or sentence). In console it shows lots of similar errors:
(osmo:1997): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid input string
(osmo:1997): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 13: Invalid UTF-8 encoded text
(osmo:1997): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
I tried to set lt_LT.utf8 locale, but my translation .mo files were not used then. Translation file is set to UTF-8, I used poedit for translation. I have no way to test my translation on other distros now, so it could be problem in translation. Any ideas are welcome, especially about setting locale to UTF-8 (will other translations work, like for Leafpad, which works now?).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that I'm using Puppy 3.01.

muggins

#18 Post by muggins »

Hi Joshas,

I'm not sure why it's not accepting your localisation. Is leafpad the only program, that you've successfully converted, to Lithuanian?

I've sent a pm to maddox, and I'm curious to see his response, as It should work with French...seeing as it has a French .mo file.

Joshas

#19 Post by Joshas »

Ok, I'm an idiot. I just copied files from Slackware archive and haven't noticed that there are some links in there, and the links weren't working. So I had to copy needed files to lt_LT.utf8 folder and now everything works correctly. Go Puppy!

maddox

#20 Post by maddox »

Hi muggins,
here's what I've found-out so far :
The i486.pet installed ok (1 click on the pet in rox) but no /usr/bin/osmo nor the associated files :(
Checked directory structure in osmo-0.16-i486.pet using pet2tgz :
osmo-0.1.6-i486/usr/bin/osmo ...instead of... /usr/bin/osmo

size of exe= 187032 bytes (compile elf 32-bit i386 v1 GNU/Linux 2.2.0 statically linked, stripped)
I extracted the executable from the pet and ran following command in rxvt:
osmo &
[1] 3979
no errors, and in english.. good.

then extracted the french mo file to the right place and ran osmo again in rxvt:
#
(osmo:18850): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid input string
(osmo:18850): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 13: Invalid UTF-8 encoded text
(osmo:18850): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

so it seems the french mo file isn't in utf-8, but that's not your prob ;)
I'm using gettext 0.16.1 (msgfmt & msgunfmt) to exchange between po & mo.
Don't have win to use poedit, where can I download osmo template
to try translation again?
using leafpad to edit the po file & save back in utf-8 format (lf)
thanks,
maddox