TEENpup 2.14 Update/Bug fix Release Maybe in 2 weeks

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

TEENpup 2.14 Update/Bug fix Release Maybe in 2 weeks

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
Forum user edoc has request DjVu file format support as well as there's a problem with the petget installer where I've some how deleted a file preventing installing of new Pets from Barry K's site that I want to fix.

Also I want to add some more small plugins for Konqueror to add more usability.

I thinking of adding Wengophone (older smaller version) to TEENpup as well.

I think it would be easier to create an new iso than post all these changes on the forum.

What do you think?

Any suggestions for Apps you'd like to see added to TEENpup please post them now and I will see what I can do.

If it's not too big and I can get it working properly in TEENpup I see if I can include it in this update/bug fix, now's the time to make your requests.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

hi john,

i've just downloaded version 2.12 of wengophone, and i wonder whether you need to include it with teenpup, as it seems to be an app that you can extract pretty much anywhere, click on the wengophone.sh file, and it works. the only thing missing is that it perhaps needs a .desktop file for the menu. what do you think?

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello muggins,
worked 12 hours today, so will install it and have a play tomorrow.
The desktop file is no problem at all to create, do it all the time.

john biles

#4 Post by john biles »

In the expected update, you can look forward to KDE's Kaffeine MediaPlayer. It's basically KDE's Gxine Player and offers a few more options.
What I like about this install is that all require codec dependencies are met.
Even with Ubuntu, Mepis etc, this is something I've never seen.
Attachments
Kaffeine Multimedia Player.jpg
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 1480 times

john biles

#5 Post by john biles »

Hello eceryone,
This bug fix/update is going well at the moment, just one problem I'm having with Kaffeine is that it crashes upon exiting of the program, while it appears to all work fine during normal use, this problem to me lets TEENpup down, what do you think.

john biles

#6 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
It's been a journey testing different versions of Kaffeine to find one that doesn't crash in TEENpup 2.14 and I found that version 0.4.3b works perfectly.
I don't know about other user's of Gxine Player, But I've found when playing DVD's in full screen mode that there was the odd flicker and line here and there.
Now with Kaffeine 0.4.3b there's only a perfect clear image.
Another bonus is that this version of Kaffeine is only half the size of the later versions.
Attachments
Kaffeine 0.4.3b.jpg
(40.35 KiB) Downloaded 1365 times

J.S. Garrison

New User Input About Teen

#7 Post by J.S. Garrison »

I've been enjoying TeenPUP because of the large amount of applications it has. I've had issues with wireless connectivity, which, thanks to jonyo and others has come to a solution.

When reforming the next release, can you think about a couple of things
that I have encountered?

First, on the second boot of Teen, I'm stuck at the line where it tries to dicover the network using Rausb0. It says I can hit return to go on, but I haven't had any luck with that. I've had to unplug the wireless USB device to get PUP to boot.

The second issue is related.

I tried unsuccessfully for days to get the Network Wizard to work with my network and wireless router. a lot of different things were thrown at it to make it happen.

jonyo suggested I use RutilT. I did, with no connectivity until I changed from auto DHCP to Static with the router's own settings.

The Wizard wouldn't allow connectivity with that alteration, but the utility did.

Assuming these are two different pieces of software, can't the Wizard
be made to works as the RutilT did?

Thanks

Gimlet

Apps for Teen Pup 2.14

#8 Post by Gimlet »

Stremtuner would be lovely
Think you can, think you can't. Either way your right!

setecio

#9 Post by setecio »

Hi John,

Great work on this derivative. I was about to install it on some old laptops but noticed this update thread which sounds great.

Do you think it will be available soon, as I'd prefer to wait a week or two, if it is.

Thanks.

cb88

#10 Post by cb88 »

things that should be in
the new xcompmanager from MU that does not require dri

the gnoclized icewmconfig

update Pfind and the other Papps

dump seamonkey for firefox iceweasel or opera

Pdrive is looking good now

also modplugplay for XMMS is a must for me

other than that i can't think of anything else right now TeenPup is pretty awesome I even remastered puu_214.sfs with devx_214.sfs so now i even have gcc on a livecd :shock:

EDIT add the latest JWM with gradient support and all the themes.... since they are just text files
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

john biles

#11 Post by john biles »

Hello cb88,
Can you please supply any links to the apps you want in TEENpup and what you got working in your remaster.

macadavy

#12 Post by macadavy »

Thanks John, for inviting community input - its another example of why Puppy's special! TeenPup is so near my ideal Puppy it hurts. :cry:
(Me & my eyes thank you for fixing those small menu fonts, btw.)
I've tried about a dozen Puppy varient live CDs so far, and each has its own virtues. Yet none I've seen lets me do four important (to me) things in a browser: view sites with Flash/Java, watching & listening to streaming multimedia and reading PDF docs. It seems many have one or two, and TP has three out of four if the Java install covers the browser (or must one still manually copy .so-and-.so files to .such-and-.such directories? :wink: ).
For PDF: can the Adobe Acrobat browser plugin be made to work with KPDF and/or Foxit Reader? http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/desklinux/
Or will it only work with Acrobat Reader itself? There used to be a Firefox Foxit extension but it appears to have dis-appeared. A 'PDF Download' FF ext. exists that might do the job instead, (i.e. call KPDF or Foxit). Can these two functions (i.e. multimedia & PDF) be more simply handled by configuring the 'helper applications' in Seamonkey? If so can Seamonkey or Firefox be pre-configured to do this, 'cause I haven't figured out how that works (i.e. associating file types with applications in SM/FF)? As for Ghostview I suspect it just can't handle the latest PDF standards, its never worked right in any Puppy I've tried.
I really appreciate inclusion of some VoIP softphones - its the 'next big thing'. Would you consider updating Gizmo1beta to the latest Gizmo3? (Debian pkg. which could be dot.pup'd here: http://www.gizmoproject.com/download-linux.html).
Also worthy of your consideration IMHO is Jabbin, a Jabber VoIP client that supports Google Talk, the only GNU/Linux client I know of that does. Just about everyone has a Gmail account these days! Unfortunately their only pkgs. don't include a .deb and I didn't see a source code tarball that could be compiled for Debian or dot.pup'd. I posted about this here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22591
and muggins had a run at installing it, noting that it needed the speex & QT libraries. You can check it out here: http://www.jabbin.com/int/
I realize there are a couple of good reasons for going with SeaMonkey (mail client & HTML editor included) but I'd sooner see lightweight replacements for these functions and Firefox with its 1500+ extensions! I understand another reason for retaining SeaMonkey might be that stubborn Flash9 bug that keeps crashing Firefox in some Pups. Lighthouse Puppy beta5 seems to have resolved these - perhaps TazOC has some tips & tweaks about how he did this...
Yikes, long-winded as always! By now you've forgotten what I said to start with so let me reiterate: WTG, John - Teenpup's waaay cool! Cool was the ultimate compliment when I was a teen - but a real live today teen told me: "TeenPup rocks, man - it's phat!" Which is a compliment, also - I think... :wink:
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

cb88

#13 Post by cb88 »

spiffy icewm config tool a tcl script gnoclized to look like GTK
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 57&t=21540

here are some more gnocl-ized scripts also by Gray
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1301101857

you can find most of those by searching for gnocl

the milkmod pluging for XMMS is in dougals XMMS dotpet....on dotpups.de/dotpups

pdrive is here
(requires gtkdialog3 ):
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 77&t=21200

Pfind same requirements as pdrive:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51&t=15136

There is ainebot is an apdir of ainebot I compiled in 3.00 with devx_2.16.sfs and should work fine....
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23158

Pbackup:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51&t=10975

Pschedule:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1586225413
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

john biles

#14 Post by john biles »

Hello macadavy,
I had a play around with trying to get Jabbin to run in TEENpup without luck, I believe it's possible but outside my abilities at the moment.
Also Gizmo 3 dependancies might cause it not to work in TEENpup, I'll have to play with that one as well.
As for JAVA just click on the desktop icon install the dotpup (takes a while to install) and wait for Seamonkey to open. It will open JAVA's test page to confirm that JAVA was installed correctly.
If you have problems do this.
In Seamonkey click on "edit" then "preferences" then "Advanced" and enable JAVA. JAVA should now work.

As for Kpdf and Adobe Acrobat plugin, I haven't tried it. Basically if you go to a website that has a PDF file on it, just click on that PDF and Kpdf should open after a few seconds.

If you really need Adobe Acrobat, Then version 7 from Mandrake, Mandriva will work after unrpming it with the undeb/unrpm dotpup.
At one stage I did have it in TEENpup 2.14 but at about 85mb's in size, I felt as I already had Kpdf in TEENpup 2.14, I could have more apps and still allow the iso to be smaller.

muggins

#15 Post by muggins »

macadavy & john,

i compiled jabbin on pup2.16 & I uploaded a .pet, to rapidshare, here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/69405538/ja ... a-i486.pet

It's just over 2M dload, and needs QT libraries and speex installed. Both these are available as .pet packages on puppy's ibiblio site. Oddly it also needs libGL.so.1, which is available by installing the openGl .pup from Mu's site, at dotpups.de/dotpups.

macadavy

#16 Post by macadavy »

John: Thanks for your thorough response, it sounds like most of my concerns have already been addressed - I'll go back and play with TeenPup some more - maybe its just me? :wink: Certainly I agree Adobe Acrobat is waay too bloated for any Puppian to seriously consider, especially when there are alternatives.
muggins: Thanks, you're aces! I will give the Jabbin pkg. a try... :D
[i]Welcome to my weird, wild, wonderful, wired world![/i]

john biles

#17 Post by john biles »

Hello macadavy,
Thanks to muggins who compiled Jabbin which has now been added to the upcoming Bugfix/more Apps TEENpup 2.14.1
There is a lot of extra Apps that have been added to TEENpup 2.14.1 and are currently being tested. I sure these Apps will bring a smile to the faces of some users. I'd say around 40 extra Apps have been added.
The iso has grown, but I believe it's worth it.
As Softpedia is now hosting TEENpup, this will help MU and others who are also hosting TEENpup with their bandwith even though the iso keeps growing.

cb88

#18 Post by cb88 »

Here is the correct version of XMMS that has many extra plugins

http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups ... 1.2.10.pup

To try out the milkmod plugin go to any site that has "mods" and download and play with XMMS or go here:

http://modarchive.org/index.php?TMARecommendedPicks50