Need OSS drivers for many different sound cards

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
WiZard

Need OSS drivers for many different sound cards

#1 Post by WiZard »

The charity project I work on will want to install Puppy on many different systems with different sound cards. I looked at the drivers in /lib/modules/2.4.29/sound/oss and compared it to a list I found at the OSS home site. Are there more of the OSS drivers available for Puppy? Can I just download from the OSS site and extract the ones needed or will they be time limited.

Thanks for the help

klhrevolutionist

Here you go

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Hmmm?
I know there were others ????
I forget, but I will try and get some others for you and pkg them up for you!!!
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Sat 24 Sep 2005, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

#3 Post by Guest »

There are a bunch of'em right here!!!
download the file below this is all the sound modules
Those are already all in Puppy.
Look in /lib/modules/2.4.29/sound/oss/.

WiZard

audio drivers

#4 Post by WiZard »

Thanks klhrevolutionist, looks like Guest is right, those drivers are already in Puppy. Know any other sources for additonal drivers? Appreciate your replies and help.
[/quote]

peppyy

#5 Post by peppyy »

Depending on what you have for sound cards it may be as simple as doing a modprobe for the chipset. This is what has worked for me when all else has failed.

Go to xproc system information in control panel and see if there is any information about your sound card there.

If you don't find the information right away, try looking in advanced. It usually shows near the end as something like,

Multimedia Audio Controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4610/11

I usually google the card info "CS 4610 + modprobe + linux" to come up with a string.

Sometimes it can be as simple as something like,

Code: Select all

modprobe sb
to get a card working.

Once you have found what works, add the code to the file rc.d local so it will load at boot.

Hope this helps
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

WiZard

audio drivers

#6 Post by WiZard »

Peppyy, thanks a lot for your reply. You've really given me something I can work with when we get cards that aren't easily recognized. Keep up the good work. Hope I can help you or others in the future.

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=15102&sid=1a9fb0eed1eba993b1689ae9513dac94#15102

cat

I'd love to, but

#7 Post by cat »

Once you have found what works, add the code to the file rc.d local so it will load at boot.
since this thread is linked in the beginner's resource list I'd like to see where to find this file, so that I don't have to search my whole harddrive in order to make sense of the above.
I know that this sounds lazy and demanding, but ever since I started with Linux I came across simple solutions like that that took me up to two hours to try because I obviously am too stupid to have Linux search the file for me. Otherwise it's a good, simple and useful explanation.

Just my 1 1/2 cents...

Edit: something like this e.g.: :oops:
You could try adding the line ' modprobe sb' in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file.
Use Rox filer to find rc.local and right click on it, Open as Text, add the line and click save.
much more Newbie friendly :)