Can I Password Protect my Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
newcomer

Can I Password Protect my Puppy?

#1 Post by newcomer »

Hello! everyone

Is it possible to Password Protect my LiveCD ?. So if it falls into wrong hands, my stuff is protected.

Have a good one

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Ian »

Do you mean a multi-session CD or just an ordinary live Puppy CD.

If you mean a multi-session CD you will have to go to the multi-session section of the forum and see if there is an answer there.

If on the other hand you are talking about the ordinary Puppy live CD the data and settings does not get saved to the CD but instead to a file on your hard drive named pup001.

This happens if you take the option to save to the hard drive and supply the partition name and the file name.

The data in here can only be accessed using Puppy, it cannot be seen from Windows. If someone gets your CD they will need the computer with your pup file on it and know how to access the pup file.

The live CD is useless on its own as it does not store data and contains only the operating system so people can boot it as much as they like and all it will do is run Puppy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Here's a thread in the forum, where Lobster tells how to password protect Puppy with bcrypt. I don't remember the details. Maybe it's what you want.

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

ian wrote:The data in here can only be accessed using Puppy, it cannot be seen from Windows.
Ian, You can acctually see your pup001 data using the explore2fs application. It is quite usefull if you have a dual boot system.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

Well now you've let the cat out of the bag. :-)

My point was that in normal circumstances if anyone booted up a machine into Windows and it contained a pup001 file they would not be able to access the data within it by just clicking on it.

To password protect it would not stop anyone from mounting the partition and loop mounting the file, which I do a lot as I have a heap of pup001, pup002 files on a hard drive that I access frequently.

Getting back to the original query, password protecting a live CD will not protect the data as none is stored on the live CD. I guess I should have just said that in the first place and not rambled on.

What fiendish mind would want to peek at Personal Private Puppy data, I don't know what the world is coming to.
:-)