Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 3.01 final bugs reports here

#1 Post by BarryK »

The final is out, see http://www.puppylinux.com/news/

Henry

#2 Post by Henry »

EDITED - Reinstalled and seems OK now. Sorry for the alarm.
Last edited by Henry on Tue 16 Oct 2007, 05:24, edited 3 times in total.

NathanO

#3 Post by NathanO »

I am sure this is not a bug, but check my post:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22676

About CUPS.

DLWood

PETget won't connect to distro sites

#4 Post by DLWood »

I'm still not able to use the PETget package manager to install packages with any version 3 of Puppy, including 3.01. If I try "nluug" or "gatech" I get a pop-up message that says the site is UNREACHABLE, and asks if I'm connected to the internet -- yes I am; I can browse all day long. If I try to connect to "ibiblio", it just times out and keeps trying w/o success (about every 3 minutes or so).

I just tried it with 2.17 and it works fine with my dsl modem/router setup. Version 3 does not.

Is anyone else having this problem?

peterthewolf

#5 Post by peterthewolf »

I am using IBM Laptop i-1100 with 128MB RAM, 10GB HD, Celeron 600
All of these faults are still in 3.01
Reporting them in 3.00 report bugs had no effect
Is there some other procedure I should be using

The wireless problem seems to be that on reboot the automatic profile is loaded and the wireless wizard will not let one delete profiles.

2.16 Works fine using XORG and Linksys WPC54G network adapter

2.17 Works as 2.16 but WPC54G does not work after reboot, I have to reconnect via connect icon

3.00 Beta2 XORG does not work, XVESA does, WPC54G works as in 2.16, a DLINK DWL G122 usb stick also works if I remove WPC54G and use G122 instead. G122 use rt73 module.

3.00 Beta3 XORG does not work but XVESA does. WPC54G works but with 2.17 problems i.e. needs redefining after boot. DWL G122 does not work at all Puppy recognizes the stick but cannot connect.

On both versions of 3.00 on shutdown all the messages appear as junk made up of vertical bars and closing brackets.

Henry

EDIT: solved

#6 Post by Henry »

Once again I spoke too soon - I wrote:

Printing no longer works. A test page is "sent to the printer" but "stops."

True, but all I had to do was reinstall the printers (laserjet 2100 and canon i560) with the new Cups using the prompted "root" and "woofwoof." Too easy!
Last edited by Henry on Tue 16 Oct 2007, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#7 Post by Henry »

EDITED: Removed.
Last edited by Henry on Tue 16 Oct 2007, 05:27, edited 2 times in total.

kirk

#8 Post by kirk »

When booting the first time after making a new pup_save file the boot process stops at:

Loading personal storage file /boot/pup_save-301.2fs.....................

At first I though it just hung, so I tried many different boot settings in grub and moved all the files to the root directory. Finally, I burned a cd and tried that. Same problem. I noticed the hard drive was doing something, so I waited. After about 2 minutes 10 seconds it finished booting. I rebooted, this time it booted up fine, only stopped at the Loading personal storage file part for about 6 seconds.

I made another new pup_save file in the same location. This one booted up fine (fast) too. So I deleted both pup_save files and made another new one. Now it was back to the same 2 minute delay after rebooting.

It's only the first time after the first reboot when no other pup_save files are present.

Also CUPS is asking for a login name and password. I'll play with that some more.

jcoder24

#9 Post by jcoder24 »

I'm still seeing filesystem errors on boot. This final version appears to be hiding the fsck progress. I assume it's running a fsck at boot since it takes less time after a manual fsck of the save file.

As a test, I booted with my save file then rebooted with pfix=ram. I then ran a fsck on the partition containing the save file and the save file and they both had errors.

Rebooting with the (freshly repaired) save file was faster after the manual fsck. However, rebooting with pfix=ram and manually running fsck once again showed errors in both the partition and the save file.

jcoder24

#10 Post by jcoder24 »

kirk wrote: Now it was back to the same 2 minute delay after rebooting.
I'm thinking that what you are seeing is related to what I posted above. You can try booting with pfix=ram, run the following test and let me know what happens.:

Quick check
When booting puppy and using a save file, at the stage of the boot where it loads the save file, see if the word done has dots before and after it, ie .....done......

In depth check
run fsck on your save partition (we'll use hda3 as an example)
# fsck -y /dev/hda3

mount your save partition using mut or pmount or manually
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/data

setup a loop device for your save file
# losetup-FULL /dev/loop2 /mnt/data/pup_save.2fs

run filesystem check on save file
# fsck -y /dev/loop2

free up loop device used for testing
# losetup-FULL -d /dev/loop2

umount save partition
#umount /dev/hda3

Mazzo

#11 Post by Mazzo »

I have not been able to get an encrypted pup-save on a usb stick to work.

Each time it requests the password, it will not accept the answer. I thought I might have made a mistake with the original password, so reformatted the usb stick and then did another install, booted and saved again. Still the same problem.

Tried with an unencrypted and it just got lots of read errors.

It could be the memory stick - but it passed a media check (as in via windows)

I used heavy encryption.

Otherwise everything else was fine, including saving multisession cd.

zygo

zygo

#12 Post by zygo »

I'm using v3.01final booted from cd entirely in ram with no boot parameter nor additional storage.

Wow very different from 3.00. I didn't get chance to try 3.01 beta.

cups: printer setup was fine for me in 3.00 using dillo. But in 3.01 doesn't list parallel port for HP (so I chose LPT #1) and in both dillo and netsurf it does not allow me to use my ppd for my hp deskjet plus because the browse button was missing and I couldn't paste into the field. In dillo after selecting hp my printer was not listed even after I moved the ppd from /usr/share/cups/model to /usr/share/ppd and started 'add printer' from the begining. I could browse for the ppd in opera but the password isn't woofwoof lower or upper case!

***Edit: I eventually used the passwd command to set it, tried again and hey presto... But the driver is wrong because the test page starts with printer codes followed by a page of blur!

remastering: copies over some files from root but not all. My new cd did not ask which keyboard and had the right mouse settings in the /root/.xset.sh file but didn't copy the files:
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal
/root/.jwmrc-tray
/root/.Xresources
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/
and others.

Still, you can't make omelettes without breaking eggs. And you make damn fine omelettes Mr Kauler.

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

kirk wrote:
Now it was back to the same 2 minute delay after rebooting.

I'm thinking that what you are seeing is related to what I posted above. You can try booting with pfix=ram, run the following test and let me know what happens.:
No, the fsck repairs are because the 2.x/3.x puppies can't quite unmount the file system at shutdown, unless there's something new going on. The file system seems to always be busy, probably because it's part of the / union. You might not have noticed it until the last few versions because of the switch from ext3 to ext2. Ext3 repairs it self any time it's mounted, with out comment.

As far as my boot problem, I should mention that I'm using a SATA hard drive and a 512MB pup_save on a ext3 partition.

3.00 Beta2 XORG does not work, XVESA does, WPC54G works as in 2.16, a DLINK DWL G122 usb stick also works if I remove WPC54G and use G122 instead. G122 use rt73 module.
There's a problem with the rt73 and rt2570 Ralink wifi modules. Some of the vendor device numbers over-lap, so the wrong module may get loaded. If that happens you'll want to use the Boot Manager to blacklist the wrong module and add the correct module.

Kal

#14 Post by Kal »

Just to verify, I have the same problem as Henry with printing, which did work in Puppy 3.00. It started asking for password as kirk wrote. Also back to the foomatic-rip problem.

This was with a fresh puppy save file or an upgrade.

Went ahead and installed the earlier dotpup and all started working again, correctly.

Good Luck, Kal

kirk

#15 Post by kirk »

Set a root password and entered it when CUPS asked for it. Works!

Wolf Pup

#16 Post by Wolf Pup »

dont know if this is a bug, but when puppy 3.01 is installed using full installation to /dev/hda3, both mut and pmount report /dev/hda3 as mountable, but when hda3 is mounted puppy cant reboot and when unmounted freezes? anyway to make /dev/hda3 not seen by both pmount and mut?

also printing desent work in puppy 3.01 anymore using a hp deskjet 3740, maybe a new package is needed?
Last edited by Wolf Pup on Tue 16 Oct 2007, 03:21, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8595/ubd6467dp2.png[/img]
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/54tu74]Visit The Repository[/url] - Helpful and hard-to-find treats for Puppy 3.
[url=http://www.tinyurl.com/c5a68f]Click Here for Puppy Support Chat, + Helpful Links.[/url]

vanchutr

Same error about "locale"

#17 Post by vanchutr »

Hi Barry,
In Puppy 301 final, I met this error: -- Cannot set LC_ALL to ...

Code: Select all

locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
Please check "set locale" or something in "init..". May be I'm wrong so please, please, ...,please help me. Thankx

flagman

Key bindings do not work in Netsurf

#18 Post by flagman »

I'm afraid I can't say if the keyboard shortcuts in Netsurf worked prior to 3.01 Final, but they do not appear to work now. No response to key combos whatsoever. I've not had any other like problems in 3.01.

Upgrade went smoothly. I am booting from flash into 1GB ram.

Kal

#19 Post by Kal »

kirk

Set a root password and entered it when CUPS asked for it. Works!
Tried it again, with another fresh puppy save file. Password accepted for root, "woofwoof". No go on this computer with HP deskjet 3740 and the drivers installed. Comes up with "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed" as the error.

Good Luck, Kal

reckrhodes

#20 Post by reckrhodes »

I have two HP Deskjets here. My 640C works fine. But my 3745 will give the same message like what kal shown to us.