Remaster [solved]

#21 Post by gray »

Barry,

The new remasterpup2 works a treat. :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

NOP remaster

#22 Post by Lobster »

WhoDo wrote: Oi vey! EZpup don't know from inodes! Must be some other verschickza application!! :roll:
The inode error messages are the last in a line. First there are error checks on booting (someone else has reported). These flash by very quickly and so are difficult to make a note of . . .

Yes Gray, I tried the ISO remaster in a rush and had an ISO remaster burnt in about 10 minutes, ready to go . . . The ability to make an ISO image and then use burniso2cd is very useful. The remaster contained my working system, without the personal settings, which I tried on a friends system. It worked but we had the usual hassle getting the LCD to work (had to tweak the top end of the horizontal and vertical mz to 60) to get hi res xorg

We then tried to get wifi working, we got a live Netgear hit but could not connect to it using the wizard.

Gray I note you have already made your 3.01 Beta remaster available.
:) Perhaps in the thread announcing that you could describe the process and how you got on? I for one would be interested. :)

The movement to a new kernel and binary Slackware compatibility offer many enhancements, it will be interesting to see those emerge.

Many thanks to Barry and the developers (many working behind the scenes) who continue to keep Puppy a unique experience. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#23 Post by BarryK »

Well, I'm intending to upload 3.01final about 12 hours from now, or thereabouts. As usual, it's a matter of deciding on a cut-off point, and anything else gets held over until 3.02.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

inode

#24 Post by Lobster »

:)

Here is a pic of the inode error message (after adding Ezpup)

Sorry about the pic quality and providing so late in the day . . .

I have just loaded and run NOP (based on Puppy 3.01 Beta) everything OK with a puppy pfix=ram boot
Then I added an sfs using the bootmanager (after first rebooting to create a NOP save file)
Got those inode messages again . . .
Attachments
inode.jpg
(45.56 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

vern72023

#25 Post by vern72023 »

I am getting exactly the same Lobster - - even using a completely new pup_save.
On the first reboot everything was fine - just got 8 lines or so that showed that it was doing its checks.
then I changed the wm to icewm and removed icons from the desktop and the error messages appeared on reboot and kept appearing every boot thereafter.

So i repeated the process - new pup_save - okay on first reboot _ changed to icewm - remove icons - reboot - error messages

I repeated this 3 times and it exhibited the exact same behaviour every time
At least its consistent and repeatable

The other thing to note is that these so-called error do not seem to have any impact on performance or stability - so it makes me wonder if they are "real" errors that fsck is reporting
George
george

vern72023

#26 Post by vern72023 »

Okay its got nothing to do with changing the desktop.
How I am doing this is that I have a 2fs blank that i created
I take this and copy in everything from the initrd\pup_rw then give it a discrete Pup_save name
2 things are consistnet
The first time i Boot with this new file as a choice it does not throw the inode errors but it does restore the standard desktop and icewm menu but works just fine
In prior tests I have restored the desktop and icewm menu to my custm preferences and got inode errors
Now I have tested it a couple of times without dioing that - just rebooting it
and it still displays the erorrs

Even if I do shutdown rather than reboot I get the same result
The only commonality now is the reboot.
Maybe someting in the way that the shutdown process is happeneing is not closing the mount down cleanly

George
george

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#27 Post by Lobster »

vern72023 wrote: The other thing to note is that these so-called error do not seem to have any impact on performance or stability - so it makes me wonder if they are "real" errors that fsck is reporting
You are right George - the 'errors' do not seem to relate to anything. They just appear . . .

I seem to remember in a recent Puppy beta Barry reported a similar thing happening . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

jcoder24

#28 Post by jcoder24 »

From what I see, 3.01 does two fscks on my system. It first reports that the partition containing the save file "was not cleanly unmounted, check forced" and checks it (although no changes are made). Next it reports the same thing for /dev/loop1 (the save file).

As an additional test I booted with pfix=ram and run fsck on /dev/hda3 and /dev/loop1 which finds and fixes some errors. If I then reboot with save file I just all is well. However, on the next reboot the problem comes back.

NB. I also repeated all of my tests booting from cd without any change.

I would have to agree that it looks like a shutdown problem. I'm also wondering if the version of fsck in the initrd maybe buggy. The version in initrd is "1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)" while that in the booted puppy is "fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)"

This fsck problem wasn't in v3.00.

vern72023

#29 Post by vern72023 »

Okay following up on that I decided to see what woukd happen if I used the same file that was in the fugal install on a USB drive boot
I did it the sam eway that i used before
I have a 2fs blank that i created
I take this and copy in everything from the initrd\pup_rw then saved it to the usb drive as pup_save.2fs
Booted
No issues - interestingly unlike the times I did it on the Frugal it did not overwrite my puppy-pin or icewm customizations -
So I rebooted
and it did report 1 error under Check 5 - groups where it reported an error in the number of Groups - but nothing like the numver of errors and fixs that I got under the frugal install
Now one main difference of course is that in the Frugal it mnounts the pup_save at the top layer as rw whereas with the usb it is saving the rw back to the r01.
What I would like an option to do is to handle the mounting of the pup_save as r01 in the frugal install instead of mounting it rw - I think there is a way to force that but I cant remember how

George
george

GrumpyWolfe

Hard drive install

#30 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

Hi BarryK and all

I have a hard drive install I like testing out the bates and all. Did a full install wiping out the old 3.0. Just wish know how to save passwords for the browser. All seemed to go well have not ran into anything wrong so far. Installed pidgin 2.0.2 throw puppy package manger and downloaded and installed gslapt package manger have not installed anything with it yet.

If I can test this beta out in some way Barry let me know.

edit: just installed java with gslapt package manger and restarted seamonkey and yes jave is configed to work end edit
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

vern72023

FSCK errors pn boot

#31 Post by vern72023 »

pkay even when I started with pfix=ram and built a new pup_save I got the inode errors
trapping them they appear to start with 2 inode which state
deleted inode 6283 has zero dtime fix - yes
deleted inode 6284 has zero dtime fix - yes
which fixes that and breaks
then in Pass5 I get
Inode bitmap diff 6283 - 6284 fix - yes
which fixes that and breaks
Free count wrong group #3 fix - yes

I tried googling the initial error (zero dtime) and found this interesting exchange which seems to imply that a sync has to be forced prior to unmounting in order to flush memory mapped files.
Because of the way I work I would prefer to not perform an fsck on startup - but I can see that others might need this.
Is there a way to choose to NOT run it maybe with a boot setting barry, I would prefer that to just hacking the routine out of the initrd ?

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?17123
21:12 < youpi> Mmm, ext2fs doesn't seem to have a S_startup_dosync() handler, is that intended ? I'm not sure it performs sync on shutdown
21:13 < youpi> I mean, if I call sync before halt for shutting my hurd box down, I have not error on reboot fsck
21:13 < youpi> else I have quite some
21:14 < tschwinge> youpi: I can confirm that behaviour.
21:14 < antrik> that would explain a lot...
21:14 < youpi> and between sync and halt, some process could write on the disk, so calling sync by hand isn't a solution
21:22 < antrik> well, someone claimed the hurd ext2fs is written in such a manner that the data on disk should be consistent at any time... if that's the case, maybe sync wasn't considered necessary, or something
21:23 < youpi> !
21:23 < youpi> yeah, data is consistent
21:23 < youpi> I've not noticed any data loss
21:24 < youpi> but deleted but memory-living inodes are not deleted on the disk
21:24 < youpi> "deleted but memory-living", I meant
21:26 < youpi> (hence the "deleted inode xxx has zero dtime" fsck correction)
21:28 < bing> youpi: ogi would be a great guy to ask this questoin of
21:28 < youpi> and what about memory-mapped files ?
21:28 < youpi> they need be flushed
21:34 < youpi> hum, sorry yet, ext2fs has one, coming from libdiskfs, but
21:35 < youpi> how is it that we still have errors ? :)
21:36 < antrik> ?
21:38 < youpi> libdiskfs has a S_startup_dosync() which calls diskfs_sync_everything() in ext2, which should do the work
21:42 < antrik> ah, OK
Monday 07/17/2006 at 09:09 UTC, original submission:
14:57 <youpi> schlesix: the non-umounting file system on system halt is not easy
14:57 <youpi> because for now tasks are not all killed
14:58 <youpi> (that's why you get "deleted inode foo has zero dtime: try touch blip, mmap("blip");pause() &, rm blip, blip will be a deleted inode with zero dtime (because the program running mmap() is still alive when ext2fs gets killed)

George
george

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

I guess this is a bug. Gxine won't play any DVD I've tried. I installed mplayer but it is giving problems too. I moved the thread about that to here.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

Flash wrote:I guess this is a bug. Gxine won't play any DVD I've tried. I installed mplayer but it is giving problems too. I moved the thread about that to here.
Flash, go into the setup in Gxine, change to 'expert' mode, and change the video output to 'Xshm'. See if that fixes it. It needs a restart after that.

mamas6667

#34 Post by mamas6667 »

I'm using 3.01 frugal install btw

Having same problem as Leon
At X start 'ModeLine' settings from xorg.conf written by Xvidtune are ingnored. That was not the case with Puppy 2.17.1
it worked in 2.16 too
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also when I install these pups

xfce-4.2.3.2-base.pup
jwm2xfce-menu.pup
xfce4-menueditor.pup

Restart / Shutdown can't be selected, Logout works, saving session also works on Logout