Wi-Fi connectivity issue on router side - debug ideas?

mawhite30

Wi-Fi connectivity issue on router side - debug ideas?

#1 Post by mawhite30 »

Anyone have experience debug connectivity at router side ?
many users here have trouble getting system to see laptop end - my system loads Puppy 2.14, realtek chipset is recognized, puppy loads native r8185 driver, wi-fi networks recognized as present / available - when I try to get ip address using auto-dhcp system seems to particpate with handshaking - but at end of full 60 sec. wait network wizrd responds unsuccessful w-lan setup.
home router is netgear based - tried buddies router at work linksys based that didn't work either - also depending on setup system would totally freeze requiring hard reboot. then brake-through - tried another router I think linksys based - this time router advertised as capable / specializing with business in mind and vpn capable - system waited very little time with auto-dhcp and network configured Ok, not sure what was different - using wifi-g , and WEP protocol.
can I view "status messages" of system as it connects to see where crashes?
should I take care to set up with particular frequency ?
distance to router doesn't seem to matter...

Any debug ideas ??
Thanks.

laptopnewbee

#2 Post by laptopnewbee »

mawhite30 wrote: Puppy 2.14, realtek chipset is recognized, puppy loads native r8185 driver, wi-fi networks recognized as present / available - when I try to get ip address using auto-dhcp system seems to particpate with handshaking - but at end of full 60 sec. wait network wizrd responds unsuccessful w-lan setup.
once you have the wizard seeing the router, give rutilt (menu>network>rutilt) a try, or do some searching on these froums for posts including downloadable .pet files with improved dhcp clients. i think tempestuous posts many helpful .pets, and may have posted just what you need.
so much to learn, so late a start.

mawhite30

#3 Post by mawhite30 »

laptopnewbee wrote:
mawhite30 wrote: Puppy 2.14, realtek chipset is recognized, puppy loads native r8185 driver, wi-fi networks recognized as present / available - when I try to get ip address using auto-dhcp system seems to particpate with handshaking - but at end of full 60 sec. wait network wizrd responds unsuccessful w-lan setup.
once you have the wizard seeing the router, give rutilt (menu>network>rutilt) a try, or do some searching on these froums for posts including downloadable .pet files with improved dhcp clients. i think tempestuous posts many helpful .pets, and may have posted just what you need.
Ok - thanks, much appeciated. I'll try some more looking also.