Puppy 3.00 bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
alienjeff

#101 Post by alienjeff »

Just keep in mind the folly of treating symptoms.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

ecomoney

A few problems but overall pretty good!

#102 Post by ecomoney »

Puppy 3 seems fast!!!! (but that perhaps because Im used to using the bigger 2.15ce).

I understand that seamonkey suite has been upgraded in puppy 3? Now each application can be started separately and it will use the core code in memory. This certaainly seems to be the case with the email and browser functions. However, when I click on html on the desktop (which seems to have re-appeared, better just on the menus I think) then I still get the message "please start composer from the window of the currently running mozilla".

I like the new menu setup, it is a lot clearer, and just one entry to install new programs. I noticed the cd/dvd setup wizard guesses which drives are which in previous puppies, perhaps on boot into ram this short script could be carried out automatically without the users needing to run the wizard (puppy just works!). Glad to see Gemgame is back in! And turma and gtkfind to go with pfind.

the shutdown menu particularly is a lot clearer for new users, just one small fault, the "change window manager" entry currently does nothing. It Should bring up a message to say "You currently only have only one window manager, jwm, installed". Ideally it could take you to a screen where you could download additional window managers (perhaps that can be in the CE edition).

PupcTorrent on the internet menu is missing an icon associated with it.

The new NETSURF Browser is supurb and a great improvement on Dillo. I do notice that both browsers do not have any puppy bookmarks preloaded any more. In Ecopup, Ive recieved good feedback that many of the most popular sites are already bookmarked (not just puppy ones). Since puppy is for "linux newbs" perhaps some bookmarks to general linux pages (open source philosophy, ways of doing things, advantages etc) would be appropriate.

Although I like the idea of a separate wallpaper for puppy running in RAM to running from the desktop, the wallpaper with the instructions is white and is not attractive for first time users to get a good first impression. A white desktop background is kinda harsh on the eyes. I think a pop up box was a good idea on previous puppies (although youve probably taken it out as your not using dillo any more). If you set the screen resolution to anything other than 1024x768 then the pupzip and trash icons obscure the writing (perhaps they can be included in the icons in the top left corner?).

Other than that, I think a whole lot more users would be won over initially to explore puppy further if a different wallpaper and a colour was used for the taskbar. Im afraid users still think that grey means old (win 98/95). Puppy 1.05 had the best out of the box look.

Sorry for mixing suggestions in with the bug reports. The 3 series in a major improvement with its additional features. I look forward to working with it.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

pa_mcclamrock

JWM in 3.00: Change WM and Restart X don't work right

#103 Post by pa_mcclamrock »

I was running IceWM on Puppy 3.00 and I decided to switch to JWM; it worked. Then I tried to switch back to IceWM with what seemed to be the appropriate menu item in JWM; nothing happened. I tried the "Restart X Server" item in JWM and I got a black screen that just stayed there, with no evidence that the X server was being restarted. I had to reboot Puppy with Ctrl+Alt+Del to get back to IceWM! Can anything be done about this?

David McClamrock
Last edited by pa_mcclamrock on Fri 12 Oct 2007, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

ttuuxxx

XVESA Broken

#104 Post by ttuuxxx »

hi if you take a fresh copy of puppy 3.0 and Dougal remaster it, and boot up with xvesa on, the screen size is over large and withe xvesa wizard does not work at all, you can't change the screen size, This has been really frustrating for me, i tried everything to fix it and then big bass mentioned just try to remaster it without changing anything to the puppy 3.0, so all i did was did the network wizard, logged into chat, and then i logged out of chat, and remastered it and the problem was there, please if you could find a patch, that would be great, and if you please message me where the link is, thanks ever so much for your time, ttuuxxx :)

ttuuxxx

#105 Post by ttuuxxx »

sketchman wrote:Was listening to music and Gxine froze. Wouldn't close. Had to kill it. Now it won't start back up. I'm going back to 2.17.1 until 3.0 is more stable. Too bad I wiped 2.17.1. It worked really well.

On a positive note. 3.0 does seem to boot faster than the 2.* series.
Sketchman you might want to try Fire Hydrant, its larger 192Mb, but its based on puppy 3.0 but i removed Gxine and replaced it with Xine, also installed XMMS with a nice sony theme, so more then likely you won't have that problem anymore, and yes its also really fast, i made it to replace my 2.15ce, you can get it here at www.ttuuxxx.com

In the future i'll have other releases, plus it has the PPoE fix already embedded into it :)

nic2109

Problem(s) with USB Flash Drives

#106 Post by nic2109 »

I have had three different problems with USB flash drive installations, but I'm not sure whether they are different problems or different symptoms of a single problem.

1) Puppy 3.0 final installed on a 1Gb flash drive with a 256Mb heavy encryption save file. Couldn't install EZpup-3.0 - too little space to expand the archive.

I tried to expand the save file by an additional 512Mb, but then Puppy wouldn't boot.

Re-installed into second setup.

2) Puppy 3.0 final installed on 1Gb flash drive as an HD install using the whole drive.

Same problem - insufficient space to expand EZpup-3.0 .PET archive.

Installed into third setup: a 2Gb flash drive with a 512 Mb save-file with heavy encryption.

Same problem. Tried to expand the save file by an additional 512Mb and re-boot.

3) Puppy 3.0 final on 2Gb flash drive with heavy encryption save file and a queued request to expand the save-file at next re-boot.

Re-booted OK but ignored the expand request. Still won't install EZpup-3.0.

:(

SOLVED :D
=====

I don't actually know WHY it worked when previous methods didn't, but installation via MU's PSI application (aka "Puppy Software Installer") worked perfectly.

Also; it appears that not expanding encrypted save files is a feature not a bug! I read somewhere that Barry plans to change that, so it may appear in 3.02 or 3.1.
Last edited by nic2109 on Sat 20 Oct 2007, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

gray

gxine

#107 Post by gray »

Just a quickie : gxine wont play ogg files - demuxer not found.

replaced the dmx file with one from 2.17 & it works -obviously the version in Puppy 3.0 is f****d.

RickyVaio

FIX!

#108 Post by RickyVaio »

Regarding my /bin/sh:can't access tty;job control turned off problems, I fixed it specifying the partition grub had to work on in ALL lines in menu.lst

My entry now looks like this:
title Puppy
rootverify (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=satahd
initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.gz
I am now typing this from Puppy 3...

HTH
RickyVaio

wuwei

Puppy 3.00 bugs

#109 Post by wuwei »

When running Puppy 3.00 as a LiveCD I continue to find these problems, even after the PPPOE-fix. (My internet connects through a DSL modem, no router)
Roaring Penguin starts and connects, but Firefox doesn't get access to the internet, neither does Thunderbird.
Same problem occurs in Firehydrant and TMXprism3BETA.
TMXprism3 doesn't even start Thunderbird, neither from the menu, nor a changed desktop icon, nor the console. Also why does TMX use the old mut again? The new one in 2.17 was much more pleasant to look at.

None of this occured in any version of 2.17 I have tested, not Puppy, not TMX, NOP, etc.
Could you please address these issues? Guess this is the 3rd time I have posted this.
Otherwise I am very pleased with Puppy, the 2.17 versions that is. You are doing an excellent job.

barker

Re: universal installer failure on usb flash [solved]

#110 Post by barker »

seems to have been a problem with this particular usb pendrive (although it worked with previous versions). Using a USB pendrive with only 1 partition solved the problem.
barker wrote:Hi I've used puppy's universal installer several times before, and never had problems- but with 3.0 it does not seem to work.
however my pendrive is formatted (fat16, ext2, ext3, fat32, one partition, two partitions, bootable flag, no flag - formatted in windows, formatted with linux, partitioned with gparted, or fdisk, or cfdisk (you see I've tried a few options Wink) it is only recognised as 'superfloppy formatted with ext3 - no files are copied across (although the operation takes some time and uses both the CD-drive and hard disk (swap?)). No options to install a boot loader or make the disk bootable appear afterwards.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Installing on ATA hard-drive no problem.

barker

ecomoney

Pfix = Ram

#111 Post by ecomoney »

Just a quick polish, when booting from the cd "puppy pfix=ram" to boot into memory and ignore any save files, the loading screen still says "searching for save files".
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

cb88

#112 Post by cb88 »

if you restart jwm while the menu is being rewriten (as when a dotpup is being installed) jwm gets really messed up
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

willhunt

Not knowing

#113 Post by willhunt »

somehow I broke my new puppy :(
anyone know if this is a 3.0 problem
or something I've done?
here is the error I get
# kp
couldn't load file "/usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so": /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: cairo_pdf_surface_create
while executing
"load /usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so"
("package ifneeded Gnocl 0.9.91" script)
invoked from within
"package require Gnocl"
(file "/usr/sbin/kp" line 16)
#

/usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so is there and there is no .wh. files
???
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

Leon

Re: Puppy 3.00 bugs

#114 Post by Leon »

wuwei wrote:When running Puppy 3.00 as a LiveCD I continue to find these problems, even after the PPPOE-fix. (My internet connects through a DSL modem, no router)
Roaring Penguin starts and connects, but Firefox doesn't get access to the internet, neither does Thunderbird.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 002#147002

ecomoney

No validation on pup_file choose

#115 Post by ecomoney »

There is no validation when choosing the pup_save.2fs file at bootup, entering a numberd choice not on the list causes puppy to load into RAM. Should there be validation at this point? What would happen if the user booted into ram and then at shutdown chose the same name for a pup_file? Would this cause data to be overwritten or would the write fail and the session be lost?

edoc

#116 Post by edoc »

I tried one of the solutions for 3.00 Frugal on my laptop with W2K and it trashed the
w2K boot if not the install.
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
,windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrn1.exe
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
Since I don't know what broke it I can go ahead and see about finding and replacing
that W2K file but may just break it again! :oops:

Anyone seen this before?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

GatorDog

Re: Not knowing

#117 Post by GatorDog »

willhunt wrote:somehow I broke my new puppy :(
anyone know if this is a 3.0 problem
or something I've done?
here is the error I get
# kp
couldn't load file "/usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so":
/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
cairo_pdf_surface_create
while executing
"load /usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so"
("package ifneeded Gnocl 0.9.91" script)
invoked from within
"package require Gnocl"
(file "/usr/sbin/kp" line 16)
#

/usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so is there and there is no .wh. files
???
Menu/Multimedia/Puppy Sound Mixer doesn't run. If I try to start
it in a terminal ( pvolume-mixer.tcl), I get the same error as above
except the last line is - (file "/usr/sbin/pvolume-mixer.tcl" line 17).
Also, I get the same error as above with "kp".

Pup 3.01 w/ EZpup 3.0

rod

luck_gh0st

#118 Post by luck_gh0st »

same here === couldn't load file "/usr/lib/tcl8.5/gnocl-0.9.91/gnocl.so

Pvolume nor kp work but if I play a song in Gxine , the sound does work....
alsamixer works too.....

[/img]

luck_gh0st

#119 Post by luck_gh0st »

Oooooo k I've been racking my brains all night on this, and I found a cheap , dirty way to fix the above problem....
Simply put your Puppy 300 CD in and in the menu's setup tab use the puppy universal installer, do a Full install, and Upgrade, and when it asks about installing grub, just cancel.
now pmixer and the process killer are back!
I wonder what happened? something that I did notice was that everyone with this prob had used the EZpup, but it could just be coincidence.
Puppy is STILL the best!
Attachments
prob_fixed.png
(144.98 KiB) Downloaded 723 times

alienjeff

#120 Post by alienjeff »

Please resize screenshots. Sheesh.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]