3.0 installed but won't boot

Using applications, configuring, problems
friedsonjm

3.0 installed but won't boot

#1 Post by friedsonjm »

My dual-boot, grub on MBR system is not working after a 3.0 full install to hard drive. Get as far as 'booting the kernel.' then:

Ban inittab entry: id:5:initdefault:
Bod inittab entry: pf: :powerfail:/sbinshutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"
Bad inittab entry: pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

Help!

thanks,

jf

alienjeff

#2 Post by alienjeff »

More information needed. Dual what? What's the other OS? Full or frugal Puppy install? System specifics? Did you check the md5sum on your downloaded ISO? Standard v3.00 or retro? Care to post your menu.lst?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

friedsonjm

#3 Post by friedsonjm »

alienjeff wrote:More information needed. Dual what? What's the other OS? Full or frugal Puppy install? System specifics? Did you check the md5sum on your downloaded ISO? Standard v3.00 or retro? Care to post your menu.lst?
XP, Full install, Fujitsu P2120 with 380K RAM, Standard v3.00

Will have to boot from CD and try to get menu.lst

jf

friedsonjm

#4 Post by friedsonjm »

Well, it's not a machine issue.. reinstalled PCLINUXOS and it boots fine.
Maybe I'm not picking the right combination for install to hard drive? ATA, my ext3 partition, GRUB to MBR, full install...
Something look 'wrong'?
jf

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

If it's a full install something like this should be right. If it's not a full install, it definitely won't work. Moreover, because you didn't state where the install was made, you'll have to change the items I've marked for you in red.

title Linux Normal
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal

technowomble

Same probem here

#6 Post by technowomble »

Good morning Bruce B, Alienjeff.
Thanks to your help I got my frugal install of Puppy2.17 booting, set up background and Seamonkey theme then saved to drive and shut down. Trying to boot this morning I get the same error messages reported by friedsonjm! My install shares hda1 with SAM Linux, which seems to be unaffected by whatever is causing the problem, in fact - probably totally unrelated - the start-up piano tinkle has just come back after being AWOL!