Fire Hydrant 3.01a Is Out,

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ttuuxxx

Fire Hydrant 3.01a Is Out,

#1 Post by ttuuxxx »

- fixed 4 broken default shortcuts
- installed the PPoE fix,
-installed a few more icons, and galculator, which is a very eye pleasing calculator, basic and scientific modes-changeable in the menu. Fire Hydrant is still 192MB which is nice and i would like to hear from any of you, your experiences with it etc,

On another note, if any of you have any of you own puppy pictures or Fire Hydrant pictures feel free to attach them, i might us them in future releases of Fire Hydrant. thanks and have a great day. ttuuxxx:)

PLEASE READ
Xvesa is broken, this is a puppy 3.0 error when you remaster puppy3.0.
Xorg on the other hand works better then ever, even s-video works with pci-e, agp.
Last edited by ttuuxxx on Fri 12 Oct 2007, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

I could not get Xvesa to work....nearly a first?
My usual test machine....runs every Puppy from Puppy 1.04 onwards.
Very few Puppies and puplets that I haven't tried.
Prefer Xvesa to Xorg.
It wad a quick test 20 minutes...tried most ways to get it going.
Otherwise good on you mate.

Chris

ttuuxxx

#3 Post by ttuuxxx »

cthisbear wrote:I could not get Xvesa to work....nearly a first?
Prefer Xvesa to Xorg.

Chris
Hi crist have you also tried the standard puppy 3.0 release, and if so did you have the smae problem? I didn't touch any config boot files, so possibly it could be a icewm problem, or a general puppy 3.0 problem, I was reading in the post today that they would like to get rid of xversa all together, i like the idea of having the 2 options, I'll try xversa in about 2 mins and see how it goes, thanks for your input :) ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#4 Post by ttuuxxx »

cthisbear wrote:I could not get Xvesa to work....nearly a first?
Prefer Xvesa to Xorg.

Chris
well Chris I tried xversa and it worked perfect, not a problem at all, Now i'm around 90% sure its either 1 of 2 things
1st did you check the md5 checksum of the iso you downloaded?
2nd if its not that, then i would say its a compatibility issue with 3.0 in general and needs to be posted with your hardware video spec's to the puppy 3.0 bugs report forum.

thanks once again,

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Clarification>

Can use Xvesa....but cannot set screensize.
Tried puppy 3.0
Booting with puppy pfix=ram
Tried on other Puppy test computer
Downloaded file again.
I notice that t now is 3.01a.
I will retest

Chris
/////////////////////////
Edited:
Newer version 3.01a. but same problem.
No matter what you cannot restart Xvesa...just does nothing.

Chris

8-bit

Pup_Save

#6 Post by 8-bit »

I downloaded the ISO, burnt it to CD, and installed to hdd3 in a directory I called fireplug300 I told it to save my settings to a file and after waiting for that, I rebooted only to find myself at the Choose keyboard page.
So I rebooted again and set things up again and saved to file only to have the same thing happen on rebooting. So I set it up once more and this time, told it to save to hdd3. Still there was no difference on rebooting.
One step in the frugal install process puzzled me though. That was the fact that the frugal install copies the SFS files from the CD and afterword, I am greeted with a prompt that asks me if I want to copy the SFS files to the hard drive in case they are needed. That meant I had 2 copies of them on the hard drive. One copy was inside the fireplug300 directory I had it create and the other was outside of it. The pup_save files took the same approach with one inside and one outside. If this is what I have to go through with a frugal install, I will stay with the Full HD install.
Or is something broken???

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

8-bit, the official puppy 3.01 should have frugal install fixed. It will be out soon.

ttuuxxx

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

cthisbear wrote:Clarification>

Can use Xvesa....but cannot set screensize.
Tried puppy 3.0
Booting with puppy pfix=ram
Tried on other Puppy test computer
Downloaded file again.
I notice that t now is 3.01a.
I will retest

Chris
/////////////////////////
Edited:
Newer version 3.01a. but same problem.
No matter what you cannot restart Xvesa...just does nothing.

Chris
Hi Chris

I've been working on this problem day and night, with no good results, what i did find out its not my fault at all, which is always nice you see when you remaster puppy you use a application called dougal enhanced remaster cd, so anyways i was in a forum and a buddy of mine said why not just try to remaster 3.0 with no changes at all and see if its a conflict between puppy 3.0 and the remaster application, guess what after 20hrs of trying to get an answer it was right their, so you see i can not fix this program because I'm not a software engineer or designer, so i'll post this error in the 3.0 puppy bug. and as soon as they get a fix I'll make a remaster and post it asap. Usually the same or next day, until then sorry. my hands are tied.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

ttuuxxx :

" what i did find out its not my fault at all, "

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'
Ah! That's what they all say.

Seriously...get some sleep..errors can happen...no-one is immune.
I thank you and all the other Puppy contributors for your fine efforts.
That's all...no more Mr Nice Guy.

Cheers Chris

danharris

ipw3945

#10 Post by danharris »

i love puppy. puppy is the only linux ive tried that detects my ipw3945 out of the box. (ubuntu does too but has lots of hangups).

fire hydrant 301a will detect and load moduals for ipw3945 from first boot off the cd, but not after install, frugal, or otherwise. i tried all the standard commands i know, ifconfig, iwconfig, modprobe eth1 then i read the busybox command list till my eyes went blury.

any ideas?

i built my own puppy on 301seamonkey, but id like to do a better one built on fire hydrant (yes i love 2.15ce too, but its out of date)

ttuuxxx

Re: ipw3945

#11 Post by ttuuxxx »

danharris wrote:i love puppy. puppy is the only linux ive tried that detects my ipw3945 out of the box. (ubuntu does too but has lots of hangups).

fire hydrant 301a will detect and load moduals for ipw3945 from first boot off the cd, but not after install, frugal, or otherwise. i tried all the standard commands i know, ifconfig, iwconfig, modprobe eth1 then i read the busybox command list till my eyes went blury.

any ideas?

i built my own puppy on 301seamonkey, but id like to do a better one built on fire hydrant (yes i love 2.15ce too, but its out of date)
I'll look into it today and try to make a newer release, I've been building a lightweight version but I'm a real stickler for details and been looking around for smaller applications, So i'll focus on the main release and put the lightweight on the burners for now.

ttuuxxx