How to change the browser in 2.15CE to Firefox?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jasray

How to change the browser in 2.15CE to Firefox?

#1 Post by jasray »

How do I change the default browser in Puppy 2.15CE from SeaMonkey to Firefox? And the e-mail client to Thunderbird? Thanks!

fernan

#2 Post by fernan »

You need to edit the file /usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser . (right click, open it as text)

write there the program you want to open :)

The same with "defaultemail" :)

jasray

Edit Text

#3 Post by jasray »

Fernan--thanks, but with what? Just execFirefox and execThunderbird. It seems in the local/user/bin folder that other shortcuts/program icons exist for Mozilla which would mean I would have to copy the same type from the FF and TB folder. This is what confuses me--how much does the folder need? A shortcut? Obviously, I'm not a veteran Linux user. Thanks for the help!

fernan

#4 Post by fernan »

jasray

you need to install any additional browser. Puppy comes with seamonkey browser and mail, and Dillo web browser.

If you want to use another browser, you must install it first (You can try the Puppy package manager), and then you can edit the "/usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser" file.

Actually Seamonkey works very well, I don know why you want to change it.

In my case, I installed opera because it runs slightly faster in my PIII 500Mhz.

regards.

fernan

jasray

Default Browser

#5 Post by jasray »

Fernan--Yes, SeaMonkey is fine; however, FF runs quite well on a variety of machines and has a number of add-ins that I like. I did install FF as a browser, but still no idea how to make it the default browser. An attempt made rather a mess of everything. Thanks for any additional help.

jas.

fernan

#6 Post by fernan »

If you can run FF by typing a command in a terminal, (I don' t know the exact word, may be "firefox" or something like that") you should edit the "/usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser" file, and replace the actual command (I think it' s "exec mozstart") with "exec yourFFbrowser"

You can check also inside your ~.jwmrc file (it's a hidden file in your home folder) to see the command used by your menu to open the application.

That should work.

ttuuxxx

forget it just download my puppy fire hydrant based on 3.0

#7 Post by ttuuxxx »

Installed: Firefox, flash, java, plus thunderbird, sunbird and lightning so you can get your mail and your calendar in one app. plus icewm, and 19 themes, a few new games in the firefox tool menu, xmms with a sony skin, Limewire, shutterbug, Gimpshop, Yahoo messenger, aMSN messenger,etc a lot was added and no scripts removed.

I made it to replace 2.15ce , its up to you :)

you can find it here www.ttuuxxx.com
Attachments
imagepx8.gif
(189.2 KiB) Downloaded 1132 times

ttuuxxx

This ia how just encase you don't want Fire Hydrant

#8 Post by ttuuxxx »

1st you need to install firefox 2.0.0.4 ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... .0.0.4.pet
once install go to the help menu, and click 'auto update" it will update to 2.0.0.7

2nd if you want flash install flash 9 http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Flash9.pup
flash 9 will crash all the time. So then you need to install the fix, which actually works great! youtube here you come!!
flash fix ---> http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 2c10096f4a

3rd Install Thunderbird --> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... .0.0.4.pet

4th restart x and away you go.

5th Say thanks, lol :) have a nice day and 2.15ce was the best puppy i ever installed untill i released my own version. www.ttuuxxx.com

jamescridland

#9 Post by jamescridland »

If you want to change the default browser to Firefox in Puppy Linux, you need to change the line in /usr/local/bin/default-browser/ to...

Code: Select all

exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin "$@"
Hope that's useful for some of you. This is confirmed working in the latest - v3.01 - of the OS.

jamescridland

#10 Post by jamescridland »

Apologies: seems it's even easier:

Code: Select all

exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
The version above works if you've Firefox already open; this works properly.