Puppy 3.00 bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
iandel

#41 Post by iandel »

G'day,

Update to previous post:

Everything works when booting from CD, pfix=ram,clean but ethernet is not detected when running from HD and USB does not exist in any form.

The ethernet drivers "forcedeath" and "3c59x" which load from cd will NOT load, even when manually selected, when running on HD.

Why is it that it Puppy 3.00 will run happily and well from CD but not install correctly on HD? Frugal and full installs have the same problem.

Sage

#42 Post by Sage »

No problems installing v3.0, but it screws up X operation if updating v2.15CE. Seem to remember other folks having trouble upgrading CE s? Tried a few editing guesses but eventually resorted to mke2fs!

There is a confusion of order in installation screens that I raised before and is still present.
When doing an upgrade (using the CD and pfix=ram), it isn't apparent that an UPGRADE rather than new installation will be possible until fairly late in the selection process. The word isn't present until the last moment. No idea how you coders organise the information displayed, but UPGRADE needs to show right at the beginning, even if the value entered isn't used until later.

alienjeff

#43 Post by alienjeff »

@iandel: Did you happen to test the alpha or any betas of v3.00 on your computer? If so, did ethernet function properly?
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

SirDuncan

#44 Post by SirDuncan »

I believe this has been stated already, but Puppy seems to be unable to load the driver squash file from a frugal install to a folder. Stick it in "/" and it's good to go.

This could cause the ethernet problem if you're using a frugal install. If you are using a full HD install I don't know what's wrong.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

RickyVaio

#45 Post by RickyVaio »

I have the same error mentioned above:

/bin/sh:can't access tty;job control turned off

I've got a frugal install in a 300 MB FAT partition... the GRUB entry is standard:

title Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=satahd
initrd (hd0,2)/initrd.gz

Maybe it's because it is a SATA drive?

alienjeff

#46 Post by alienjeff »

@RickyVaio

Try "PMEDIA=satahd" instead of "pmedia=satahd" in your menu.lst kernel line
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

iandel

#47 Post by iandel »

G'day,

alienjeff, no I didn't try any of the Beta's.

SirDuncan, Once it has been loaded to a hard drive then it doesn't seem to matter whether it is a Frugal or a Full install. I have two partitions (on separate physical drives) and have tried upgrading an older version (2.14), frugal install, and full install on a hard drive with everything deleted and freshly formatted. It still doesn't recognize the ethernet or USB. In fact, /proc/bus/usb is empty. This is probably part of the problem.

barker

universal installer failure on usb flash

#48 Post by barker »

Hi I've used puppy's universal installer several times before, and never had problems- but with 3.0 it does not seem to work.
however my pendrive is formatted (fat16, ext2, ext3, fat32, one partition, two partitions, bootable flag, no flag - formatted in windows, formatted with linux, partitioned with gparted, or fdisk, or cfdisk (you see I've tried a few options Wink) it is only recognised as 'superfloppy formatted with ext3 - no files are copied across (although the operation takes some time and uses both the CD-drive and hard disk (swap?)). No options to install a boot loader or make the disk bootable appear afterwards.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Installing on ATA hard-drive no problem.

barker

flagman

Reboot occassionally restores stock desktop icons

#49 Post by flagman »

Puppy 3.0 employs 48 pixel desktop icons. I prefer 32 pixel icons at 1024x768x24 video resolution. I carefully changed each of Pups stock icons with a 32 pixel alternative from /usr...

Pup 3 appears to randomly remove custom desktop icons, replacing them with Barry's stock icons. It does not necessarily restore all of them. "Home", "Browser", "Calc" and "Drives" revert most often.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I am booting Puppy 3 from a ext3 partition on flash stick and have encountered few other problems.

RickyVaio

#50 Post by RickyVaio »

alienjeff wrote:@RickyVaio

Try "PMEDIA=satahd" instead of "pmedia=satahd" in your menu.lst kernel line
Nope, no luck, same tty thing.

It IS picking up the kernel and the compressed distro, though; if I do "ls" it shows a directory structure...

If it helps, I'm trying to run frugal in a HP Evo DC5100 (P4, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB SATA drive) with four partitions: sda1 is Win XP, sda2 should be Puppy (300 MB FAT32), sda3 is swap, sda4 is Ubuntu 7.04 (running fine)...

Here someone who explains (sort of) what is the error message:
Job control will be turned off since your shell can not obtain a controlling terminal. This typically happens when you run your shell on /dev/console. The kernel will not provide a controlling terminal on the /dev/console device. Your should run your shell on a normal tty such as tty1 or ttyS0 and everything will work perfectly. If you REALLY want your shell to run on /dev/console, then you can hack your kernel (if you are into that sortof thing) by changing drivers/char/tty_io.c to change the lines where it sets "noctty = 1;" to instead set it to "0".

justauser

Universal installer problems

#51 Post by justauser »

I had an experience similar to what others described. I had one of the betas installed and then did a frugal install and rebooted. I got updating messages and started running and saved and rebooted. It was like no upgeade was done and I'd just done a clean install.

I did a new mkfs to the partiion and did a frugal install. Saved my stuff on shutdown, but after reboot, it was like I never did the save. Shitdown and saved and rebooted and this time it worked.

Lots of small quirks with the installer and also with upgrade.

laptopnewbee

#52 Post by laptopnewbee »

i find this xterm issue in 3.00, but not in 3.00 retro.

Code: Select all

# modprobe ieee80211_crypt-rtl
FATAL: Module ieee80211_crypt_rtl not found.
notice the dash gets changed to an underscore.

i tried it that many times to be sure.
so much to learn, so late a start.

edoc

#53 Post by edoc »

Tried to do a Frugal load on a laptop with a Full HDD load of
TeenPup (2.14).

Seamonkey failed to detect the prior load of SM and pick up anything,
settings, address book, bookmarks, folders.

It was like a clean load on a new computer.

Someone suggested a newer version of Seamonkey.

Perhaps I just need to follow a different load process?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

edoc

#54 Post by edoc »

Where should the /boot folder and menu.list text file for GRUB be
located, please?

C:\ ?

C:\puppy300 ?

C:\bdisk ?

Other?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Crash

#55 Post by Crash »

Regarding Puppy Universal Installer:

I used it to install Puppy 3.00 on a USB stick with no problem. Before I did the install, I used GParted to remove all the partitions on it and created one big (1 GB) FAT16 partition. I then turned on the boot flag. Then I did the install to the "\" directory. It boots up fine, either directly on power-up for computers that support USB booting, or through 3.00's Wakepup2 floppy on a computer that doesn't support USB boot-up.

I moved the USB flash stick's Puppy files to a subdirectory ( I called it p300usb ) and it boots up fine using Wakepup2. It also boots up fine from power-up when I change syslinux.cfg to:

default p300usb\vmlinuz initrd=p300usb\initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash psubdir=p300usb

I have not yet tried using Universal Installer to explicitly put Puppy in a subdirectory, but I know it works in a subdirectory using this manual process.

I also installed Puppy OK on my hard drive in a FAT32 partition by simply copying the four Puppy files to it plus the "idehd" marker. It booted fine using Wakepup2. I then then moved it to a subdirectory. I can boot to it in the subdirectory either from Wakepup2 or just by going into FreeDOS and executing a file that says:

LINLD.COM image=C:\p300\vmlinuz initrd=C:\p300\initrd.gz "cl=root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd acpi=on psubdir=p300"

I realize that this forum is for bugs and I am not really reporting any bug, but I thought that if you try from an established point that you know works, maybe you can determine the source of a bug easier.

The only minor bug that I still see is that an EXT2 Partition is not locked when I boot into a full install. This gets me into trouble if I accidently try to mount it using MUT. This is not an issue with frugal installs.

///

edoc-

I'm no Grub expert, but it is my understanding that Grub should always be in the \boot\grub directory (or /boot/grub depending on how you look at it).

///

(Second edit Oct 7):

I just tried Puppy's Universal Installer do an installation in a subdirectory on the hard drive. That works too.

///
Last edited by Crash on Mon 08 Oct 2007, 05:20, edited 4 times in total.

Henry

Thanks, not a bug report

#56 Post by Henry »

After griping above about sundry I want to say also that -

Puppy 3 is impressively smooth and advanced, seen even in the brief and fast boot scroll.

Zigbert's Pbackup is very elegant!

A tip - If like me you have a lot of email to keep, keep it out of pup_save.2fs by specifying Local Folders in Seamonkey mail something like /mnt/home/Mail/Local Folders. This way it won't get lost if you switch to a new or different pup_save.2fs, and you won't need such a large one. Not so good if you want to carry your email with you, but you won't need such a large pup_save. (This is just an excuse to say it would be nice if someone did a pet.get of the official Seamonkey 1.1.4 for those of us challenged in that area.)

Similarly I keep a copy of the bookmark file elsewhere. Always good to store data separate from the OS, especially if one has been recently frightened by the big red error report re superblock and magic number! Another reason to think of Pbackup, maybe.

Henry

Jesse

ethernet driver forcedeth fails to load.

#57 Post by Jesse »

Hi,

My ethernet driver does not load under Puppy 3.0. Even when I choose it from the wizard list and click 'load'.

On the good old Puppy 2.13 that is still working great for me:
sh-3.00# elspci -l | grep forcedeth
00:0a.0 068000 10DE:0057 <forcedeth>

With all the updated scripts in Puppy 3.0 its pretty confusing for me to find what script does what. Can someone help me out?

Jesse

tempestuous

Re: Small Bugs

#58 Post by tempestuous »

RMP wrote:The dialog states it is not possible to use WPA with the 1211rw module.
The network-wiz-update-Oct5.pet will fix that. Get it here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 292#144292

This problem is due to the fact that in older versions of Puppy the zd1211rw module did not work very well, so WPA support in the Network Wizard was written only to recognise the alternative zd1211/zd1211b modules.

zd1211rw apparently now works better with Puppy 3.00's 2.6.21x kernel.

Barry, this means another update to /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh
Sorry.

Leon

Re: ethernet driver forcedeth fails to load.

#59 Post by Leon »

Jesse wrote:Hi,

My ethernet driver does not load under Puppy 3.0. Even when I choose it from the wizard list and click 'load'.

On the good old Puppy 2.13 that is still working great for me:
sh-3.00# elspci -l | grep forcedeth
00:0a.0 068000 10DE:0057 <forcedeth>

With all the updated scripts in Puppy 3.0 its pretty confusing for me to find what script does what. Can someone help me out?

Jesse
I wondered why all Puppy 3.xx versions failed to autodetect 'eth0' although I hadn't this problem with any of previous versions.

When Puppy 3.00 was released Barry mentioned this in the announcement and release notes:

“A note for frugal installers -- there is still a little quirk. When do a frugal install to a subdirectory, using the 'psubdir' boot parameter, at first boot Puppy cannot find the 'zdrv_300.sfs' file. It is found after the pup_save file is created.
Another quirk is that the zdrv file cannot be found if, when presented with a list of pup_save files, you choose '0' (none).
I decided that these and some other issues are small enough not to hold up release of 3.00 final.

eccentric

Puppy 3.00 seamonkey

#60 Post by eccentric »

Barry Sir,
Just to let you know i followed Leon,s advice for pppoe.
and Wolf pup for pidgin and now they both work.
Michael.