3.00-seamonkey Uploaded

News, happenings
cb88

3.00-seamonkey Uploaded

#1 Post by cb88 »

Looks like it has been uploaded to Ibiblio for about 2 minutes now

it is only 80mb wonder if it is a fulldrivers version or will that come later?

answered my own question looks like barry is uploading it as i type this since the size is going up LOL
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

Oberon85

If i was a cowboy..

#2 Post by Oberon85 »

I'd YEHAAWW!!

thanks Barry!
--
[b]Oberon85[/b]

Puppy Dog

#3 Post by Puppy Dog »

Puppy3.00-seamonkey identified my network interface all by itself !

Thanks to everyone who spent time and energy working on this new Pup.
"Best In Show"

cb88

#4 Post by cb88 »

that is great maybe some of the networking issues have been worked out then
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

SirDuncan

#5 Post by SirDuncan »

Downloading now. I can't wait!
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

antman

#6 Post by antman »

So far so good. This is the first Puppy version that I can run on my laptop WITHOUT turning off ACPI. :lol:

Nice....

raffy

slackware-compatible

#7 Post by raffy »

This release is package-compatible with Slackware 12, although I could not seem to find where to start. EDIT: here.

Thanks, Barry!
Last edited by raffy on Tue 02 Oct 2007, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

wingruntled

#8 Post by wingruntled »

I hope Barry will see this post. I was wondering if this version will be split into parts like 2.17.1 was, so us slow dialup saps have a better chance of downloading it?
Cool

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

Mirrors, bit torrents, more details etc

Here please
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy300

and here . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DownloadLatest

:D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

NathanO

#10 Post by NathanO »

Have used 3.00 full on both HP Pavilion zx6000 with 512 Meg memory and home made tower 2 Gig memory and 1 Gig chip. Both work fine and both upgraded. My laptop did loose my Google Earth desktop icon, but put it back and everything works.

Both units have large swap partitions.

alienjeff

#11 Post by alienjeff »

Results extracting both standard and retro versions from ISOs with ISO Master to an HP Pavilion XE-736 Celeron 600 MHz w/256M RAM, mobo video:

Standard version:

Only low resolution modes work. Higher than 800X600 results in seriously pincushioned video display.

Retro version:

1) extracted files are ALL CAPS
2) kernel was named VMLINUZ. (note trailing ".")
3) both above problems result in Grub hanging up
4) editing menu.lst with appropriate CAPS resulted in booting further into the process, but ultimately hanging up.

Renamed all files to lower-case and removed trailing "." from vmlinuz. It then booted, however the video problem described above remains.

Both versions use over 250M of RAM when run from frugal installs -- not a good thing for boxes with video that shares mobo RAM.

So for this box, v3.00 has a number of show stoppers. Back to a well-working v2.12 full install for The Alien ...

EDIT: The "installation" of both 3.00 and the retro were done with "manually" extracted files and then editing the menu.lst in a pre-existing partition. Booting from CD and using version 3.00's Universal Installer may or may not resolve the ALL CAPS and trailing "." issues. My burner recently shat the bed, so I can't try the latter method of installion. -aj
Last edited by alienjeff on Tue 02 Oct 2007, 21:35, edited 3 times in total.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Oberon85

yeah!!

#12 Post by Oberon85 »

Can't wit to take this home and try it on my laptop.... Boots fine on my work machine, no hitches, no glitches, and speedy!

You rock Barry (and so do all the other folks contributing to this effort! )
thanks so much for your time.
--
[b]Oberon85[/b]

panzerpuppy

#13 Post by panzerpuppy »

PPPOE (ADSL) connection still doesn't work in this final build. RP-PPPOE doesn't do anything other than display a connection timeout message after failing to connect.There's no modem activity at all during the connection phase.

capricornus

Serendipity in LinuxLand leads to Puppy

#14 Post by capricornus »

I tried a few puppies before, they came and left again. Woof. Almost impossible to install. But this one installed easily and is therefor to stay and to be tried further. I' m running this on a Asus K8 Sempron2600+ integrated ATI/VIA video graphics (often a sore!). Actual competition: PClinuxOS 2007, LInuxMint 3.1 Celena, Wolvix 1.1.0 Hunter and Mepis 6.5.

I' d like to express my admiration for this tiny distro, my appreciation and thanks to the developers for their remarkable and amazing work.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#15 Post by BarryK »

panzerpuppy, I don't use rp-pppoe, and in the past when something has been wrong with it, people like GuestTwo figured out the problem and told me how to fix it. Especially GuestTwo, he is an expert at using it, but I don't think that he has been on the forum for awhile.

alienjeff

#16 Post by alienjeff »

BarryK wrote:Especially GuestTwo ... but I don't think that he has been on the forum for awhile.
According to data gleaned through the member list feature, GuestToo last posted here on Tueday, July 03, 2007 at 10:01 pm. Anybody here know if he's okay?

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

mysticmarks

first problem

#17 Post by mysticmarks »

Hey,
I don't know if anyone else has this issue. I use USB puppy. i updated to 3.00, pidgin worked at boot before building a save file. after the save file it starts giving this error.

# pidgin
process 17128: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory
See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted

Anyone else?

Leon

#18 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:panzerpuppy, I don't use rp-pppoe, and in the past when something has been wrong with it, people like GuestTwo figured out the problem and told me how to fix it.
I solved the problem. It works for me. I made the PET package and attached it to my post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 826#144826

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

mysticmarks,
there's another forum thread, I don't know the link right now, that has a "solution" of sorts for the Pidgin problem.

simes

Puppy 3.00

#20 Post by simes »

Downloaded Puppy 3.00 today, booted it from CD, detected all my hardware inc. widescreen monitor immediately, runs like a charm. Evidently running with better graphics drivers than 2.16.

Also tried installing to hard disk (once done, this is the fastest way I know to boot a PC). The frugal install appeared to work (on top of a previous 2.16 installation) but totally failed to detect my on-board ethernet card, sound card, etc. Trying again with a 'whole partition' install and wiping previous files worked fine, detected all devices OK. I sometimes wonder if others who have difficulties with HD installs could avoid them by doing clean installs each time. Create a separate /home partition to save files that matter.

Overall, 3.00 seems very stable, fast and easy use. Many thanks!