Puppy 3.00beta2 bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
tronkel

CUPS printing workaround

#41 Post by tronkel »

Kirk wrote:
Anyway it looks like the CUPS problem is something with Gutenprint.
Seems to be the case that there is some issue with the Gutenprint drivers. Well done Kirk.

I downloaded a ppd drive for my HP OfficejetG85 (hpijs/foomatic) from the openprinting.org website as you suggested. Also copied the hpijs file from /usr/bin in Puppy 2.17.1 and copied that to the same location in Beta 2.

So, copy the ppd file to /usr/share/cups/model and then run the CUPS setup from localhost:631. The new ppd will now be listed in the driver selection window.

Bingo - it worked. Not as good quality as the Gutenprint driver though, but OK as a temporary work-around. Better than nothing until the Gutenprint driver issue can be resolved.

I'll do a spot of research about Gutenprint over the weekend and see what gives.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

zygo

zygo

#42 Post by zygo »

Using opera 9.23 having booted from cd entirely in ram with no other storage.

The frontend for xnetload does not detect that ppp0 is up.

Is the intention to have no off-line help pages for ash, busybox, xdialog and xmessage?

davec51

Bug in 3.00 Beta?

#43 Post by davec51 »

This is the first Puppy version I have used in which the CD drive doesn't release. I suppose Puppy isn't getting into RAM somehow. Does anyone else have this problem (I couldn't find it in the thread)?

PaulBx1

#44 Post by PaulBx1 »

9) In gxine if I go to open a file, the usual window is presented to select the file to open. However it is so far up and to the left that I can't see it all and I can't grab the bar and pull it down either. I am running at resolution 1024x768 if that matters.

BTW on that gxine "cook.so" problem, I noticed this README in /usr/lib/codecs:
cook.so is out of the mplayer "essential codecs"
package.
BBC radio sites offer a choice of listening to Real Player
or Windows Media streaming audio. Both will work with Xine,
however in the case of Real Player audio, a message box pops
up complaining of a missing "cook.so.6.0".

Placing cook.so here fixes that, and the standard Real Player
support in Xine seems okay.

See the "HOWTO multimedia" help page in Puppy for more info.

19 June 2005
------------
For Puppy 1.0.4, have placed sipr.so.6.0 here, from mplayer
essential-codecs package (actually I got it from Vector 5.0STD).
Needed to play some RealAudio and RealVideo files.
Does this bear on the matter at all?

Also ajoe on this thread claims this hasn't worked since Puppy 2.14!

I tried many other stations on that media list in gxine. Found a single one that worked: Media>College>KSLU. I don't know if the links are all dead or what. Maybe an updated list is needed...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#45 Post by Flash »

I don't know if this is a bug, a random transient or something I caused somehow.

Puppy 3.00 beta 2 on a multisession DVD did not save when I clicked the "Save" icon on the desktop. I'm sorry, I should have written down what happened while it was fresh in my mind but I was in a hurry. I think rxvt opened showing an error message and Puppy just sat there. So I closed rxvt, and then took a chance by telling Puppy to shut down. It saved ok.

Before I tried to save had I installed and configured Skype (the static binary from the website) and RealPlayer (also the binary from the website.) Also Puppy had been up pretty much the whole day while I read and answered my yahoo email and did a lot of web surfing.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

GeorgR

Problems with AMD 690G / ATI SB600

#46 Post by GeorgR »

I am a newby to Linux and started with puppy 3 weeks ago.
Meanwhile I made some experiences with the scripting world of puppy. It is like reaching the next level in a text adventure when successfully installed an WLAN USB Stick like Netgear WG111T via ndiswrapper, introduce "odd" monitor resolutions, enable SPDIF Audio output, change the inconvenient AM/PM Clock format to 24 hours and correct a battery script to display the current power level of an armada M300 Notebook. So I am very pleased with puppy.

In addition to that is very exiting to become familiar with puppy in a phase when the new Release 3 is growing up.
And with this new release some hardware problems disappear and for example I was able to start puppy even with monitor resolutions like 1360*768 out of the box. But after seeing puppy now running on a lot of different computers without any problems there is still one blind spot:
Booting Puppy 3 on ASUS M2A-VM with AMD 690G Chipset ends with "puppyserialdetect is running".

First I was thinking 690G was too fresh for linux, but xubuntu live cd is booting on this computer without any problems.
And some foren reported that problems with the AMD 690G/SB600 chipset are already solved with kernel 2.6.21.6.
So puppy 3.0 with kernel 2.6.21.7 should boot without any problems.
I installed puppy 2.22 (3.0b2) with an other computer on a usb stick, changed rc.local0 file and skipped the serialdetect part in the script. But booting on AMD690G puppy ends in rc.modules2. Skipping also this part, puppy ends with rc.network. So it is endless and setting loglevel=7 shows no new information at the point when puppy starts hanging.

Searching the internet I found only drivers for the onboard video part with x1250 chipset.
ATI's 8.40.4 fglrx video driver from kirk:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1205115046

Needs puppy special drivers for the Southbridge SB600?
Has anybody more success with puppy on AMD 690G?
Any other information I can provide to solve this problem?

ASUS M2A-VM, AMD 690G, ATI SB600, ATI Radeon X1250, Audio: ALC883, LAN: RTL8168/8111

P.S.: I've got it:
MoBo BIOS Settings: PET disabled, no PnP OS, AMD Cool+Quite disabled
Puppy boot option: noacpi!

I am writing this message right with this AMD 690G while listening to a MP3 Sound Track => all MoBo components are recognized without further problems. :o :lol:
So puppy seems to have an problem with acpi on AMD 690G.
Last edited by GeorgR on Mon 01 Oct 2007, 18:46, edited 2 times in total.

Botanic

#47 Post by Botanic »

bug in 2.17.1...

epdfview crashes when accessing the (quite important) 'find' function (either with menu of Ctrl+F).
Segmentation fault
it also crashes in the pup files MU provided, where this bug is mentionned and not solved

PaulBx1

#48 Post by PaulBx1 »

10) epdfview still does not display text for me. See the following image; this is looking at the same page with epdfview on top (in the background) and acroread on bottom (in the foreground). The text, except for the leading "F", is missing...

Also when you click the button in the title bar to maximize the epdfview page, then click to get a smaller window again, the title bar goes off the screen so you can't get to it any more. It is in that position in the above image.

I did not find however, that the "find" function crashes for me, as it did for Botanic. This is the 3.00beta2 thread so no one should be posting 2.17 problems here anyway...

Barry, I can ship this file to you in case you want to check it out. Perhaps it does not handle the particular font or format used in this file.

Jesse

#49 Post by Jesse »

Hi,
I've just tried out the puppy-3.00beta3-2.22-seamonkey.iso and when I reboot, it looses the setting for usb-speakers, I have to re-run the alsa wizard to get the usb-speakers working again, every reboot, its slightly annoying when I only use that pc for dvds :)
The motherboard has a sound card that can't be disabled in bios, and no spare audio-plug speakers.
Anyone know how this works? or can point me in the right direction?
Jesse

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#50 Post by Flash »

Barry, I know you fixed saving to multisession in beta 2, but did you test it by clicking the Save icon on the desktop? Twice now I've tried to use the Save icon only to have rxvt open and just sit there empty. The first time it happened I closed rxvt and shut down instead, and Puppy saved the session ok. The second time it happened I noticed that the rxvt window had "pupsave-dvd" in the black border at the top of the window even though the window was empty, showing only a prompt without even a #. So I entered "pupsave-dvd" and the computer locked up solid with a black screen. I had to force a reboot.:-(

Otherwise 3.00 beta 2 on a multisession DVD has been rock solid for me. I haven't tried it in another computer. It's possible the save problem is caused by something peculiar to this computer or the way I'm using Puppy, rather than Puppy. I can't think what it might be though.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

pakt

Re: Problems with AMD 690G / ATI SB600

#51 Post by pakt »

GeorgR wrote:Puppy boot option: noacpi!
GeorgR, can you boot just using the boot option 'nopcmcia'?
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

GeorgR

Re: Problems with AMD 690G / ATI SB600

#52 Post by GeorgR »

pakt, interesting question: even though there is no pccard interface in this desktop PC booting AMD 690G with "nopcmcia" leads also to the x.org desktop - but no network and no sound.....

My new favorite parameter for booting puppy on AMD 690G:
puppy acpi=noirq

=> so far no problems. Do I have to expect any sideeffects with this booting option?

In any case it is remarkable that, no matter which boot option, the phase: "Loading Kernel drivers needed to access disk drives..." needs more than 35 seconds! (AMD 64 X2 3600). With puppy booting on other MoBo I am already surfing the internet in this time :lol:

Sage

#53 Post by Sage »

Interesting anomalies showing up on a very ancient AMD K6-II/400 w/96Mb and own 210MbHD swap - perhaps not qualifying as bugs?
The boot messages are strangely different (too many and insufficiently important to list).
Only a US k/b is offered. Haven't seen that one before.
Cfdisk in a console wrongly identifies swap size - good old MUT gets it right every time, though.
Strange effects with 4Mb PCI C.L. video card (perhaps to be expected), including wrong backgrounds showing up, although these can be changed, no background picture, not meeting the spec on resolution for 640x480x24, although some 800x600 modes are OK.
Other artefacts.
But it does run (3.0b2, that is).

Next generation Slot1/400 with similar HW does not throw up these errors, so probably represents the lowest reliable spec to have everything working as expected.

Update: 3.0final also runs on this old heap, but the apps are much slower to open compared to the beta2, eg Abiword 25s vs 15s, Seamunster >1m vs 25s, MUT ~20s vs quicker(didn't measure it!). Some of the initial booting sequences are also slower than b2. This trend is subjectively the same on modern tinware, but fast enough not to bother with a stopwatch.
OK - everything I use seems to work, so no complaints.
Probably run older versions like 1.0.8rc1 and P3b2 on the oldest kit.

pupmate

gxine

#54 Post by pupmate »

PaulBX1 was having trouble, as was I, getting output from BBC Real broadcasts.
Following advice in Multimedia Howto, I visited :-

/root/.gxine/config and altered the line :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32 to :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs

This seems to do the trick, but I don't know what knock-ons this may have.

Puppy is fantastic !!

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: gxine

#55 Post by BarryK »

pupmate wrote:PaulBX1 was having trouble, as was I, getting output from BBC Real broadcasts.
Following advice in Multimedia Howto, I visited :-

/root/.gxine/config and altered the line :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32 to :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs

This seems to do the trick, but I don't know what knock-ons this may have.

Puppy is fantastic !!
Hmm, I just checked that file. In pup 3.00 it is set to /usr/lib/codecs.