Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 22:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Puppy 3.00beta2 bug reports here
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
GeorgR

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2007, 16:45    Post subject:  Problems with AMD 690G / ATI SB600  

I am a newby to Linux and started with puppy 3 weeks ago.
Meanwhile I made some experiences with the scripting world of puppy. It is like reaching the next level in a text adventure when successfully installed an WLAN USB Stick like Netgear WG111T via ndiswrapper, introduce "odd" monitor resolutions, enable SPDIF Audio output, change the inconvenient AM/PM Clock format to 24 hours and correct a battery script to display the current power level of an armada M300 Notebook. So I am very pleased with puppy.

In addition to that is very exiting to become familiar with puppy in a phase when the new Release 3 is growing up.
And with this new release some hardware problems disappear and for example I was able to start puppy even with monitor resolutions like 1360*768 out of the box. But after seeing puppy now running on a lot of different computers without any problems there is still one blind spot:
Booting Puppy 3 on ASUS M2A-VM with AMD 690G Chipset ends with "puppyserialdetect is running".

First I was thinking 690G was too fresh for linux, but xubuntu live cd is booting on this computer without any problems.
And some foren reported that problems with the AMD 690G/SB600 chipset are already solved with kernel 2.6.21.6.
So puppy 3.0 with kernel 2.6.21.7 should boot without any problems.
I installed puppy 2.22 (3.0b2) with an other computer on a usb stick, changed rc.local0 file and skipped the serialdetect part in the script. But booting on AMD690G puppy ends in rc.modules2. Skipping also this part, puppy ends with rc.network. So it is endless and setting loglevel=7 shows no new information at the point when puppy starts hanging.

Searching the internet I found only drivers for the onboard video part with x1250 chipset.
ATI's 8.40.4 fglrx video driver from kirk:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22189&search_id=1205115046

Needs puppy special drivers for the Southbridge SB600?
Has anybody more success with puppy on AMD 690G?
Any other information I can provide to solve this problem?

ASUS M2A-VM, AMD 690G, ATI SB600, ATI Radeon X1250, Audio: ALC883, LAN: RTL8168/8111

P.S.: I've got it:
MoBo BIOS Settings: PET disabled, no PnP OS, AMD Cool+Quite disabled
Puppy boot option: noacpi!

I am writing this message right with this AMD 690G while listening to a MP3 Sound Track => all MoBo components are recognized without further problems. Surprised Laughing
So puppy seems to have an problem with acpi on AMD 690G.

Last edited by GeorgR on Mon 01 Oct 2007, 14:46; edited 2 times in total
Botanic

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2007, 18:06    Post subject:  

bug in 2.17.1...

epdfview crashes when accessing the (quite important) 'find' function (either with menu of Ctrl+F).
Segmentation fault
it also crashes in the pup files MU provided, where this bug is mentionned and not solved
PaulBx1

PostPosted: Sun 30 Sep 2007, 23:20    Post subject:  

10) epdfview still does not display text for me. See the following image; this is looking at the same page with epdfview on top (in the background) and acroread on bottom (in the foreground). The text, except for the leading "F", is missing...

Also when you click the button in the title bar to maximize the epdfview page, then click to get a smaller window again, the title bar goes off the screen so you can't get to it any more. It is in that position in the above image.

I did not find however, that the "find" function crashes for me, as it did for Botanic. This is the 3.00beta2 thread so no one should be posting 2.17 problems here anyway...

Barry, I can ship this file to you in case you want to check it out. Perhaps it does not handle the particular font or format used in this file.
Jesse

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2007, 06:46    Post subject:  

Hi,
I've just tried out the puppy-3.00beta3-2.22-seamonkey.iso and when I reboot, it looses the setting for usb-speakers, I have to re-run the alsa wizard to get the usb-speakers working again, every reboot, its slightly annoying when I only use that pc for dvds Smile
The motherboard has a sound card that can't be disabled in bios, and no spare audio-plug speakers.
Anyone know how this works? or can point me in the right direction?
Thanks Smile
Jesse
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2007, 08:14    Post subject:  

Barry, I know you fixed saving to multisession in beta 2, but did you test it by clicking the Save icon on the desktop? Twice now I've tried to use the Save icon only to have rxvt open and just sit there empty. The first time it happened I closed rxvt and shut down instead, and Puppy saved the session ok. The second time it happened I noticed that the rxvt window had "pupsave-dvd" in the black border at the top of the window even though the window was empty, showing only a prompt without even a #. So I entered "pupsave-dvd" and the computer locked up solid with a black screen. I had to force a reboot.Sad

Otherwise 3.00 beta 2 on a multisession DVD has been rock solid for me. I haven't tried it in another computer. It's possible the save problem is caused by something peculiar to this computer or the way I'm using Puppy, rather than Puppy. I can't think what it might be though.

pakt

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2007, 15:26    Post subject: Re: Problems with AMD 690G / ATI SB600  

GeorgR wrote:
Puppy boot option: noacpi!

GeorgR, can you boot just using the boot option 'nopcmcia'?

GeorgR

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct 2007, 17:45    Post subject: Re: Problems with AMD 690G / ATI SB600  

pakt, interesting question: even though there is no pccard interface in this desktop PC booting AMD 690G with "nopcmcia" leads also to the x.org desktop - but no network and no sound.....

My new favorite parameter for booting puppy on AMD 690G:
puppy acpi=noirq

=> so far no problems. Do I have to expect any sideeffects with this booting option?

In any case it is remarkable that, no matter which boot option, the phase: "Loading Kernel drivers needed to access disk drives..." needs more than 35 seconds! (AMD 64 X2 3600). With puppy booting on other MoBo I am already surfing the internet in this time Laughing
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct 2007, 07:05    Post subject:  

Interesting anomalies showing up on a very ancient AMD K6-II/400 w/96Mb and own 210MbHD swap - perhaps not qualifying as bugs?
The boot messages are strangely different (too many and insufficiently important to list).
Only a US k/b is offered. Haven't seen that one before.
Cfdisk in a console wrongly identifies swap size - good old MUT gets it right every time, though.
Strange effects with 4Mb PCI C.L. video card (perhaps to be expected), including wrong backgrounds showing up, although these can be changed, no background picture, not meeting the spec on resolution for 640x480x24, although some 800x600 modes are OK.
Other artefacts.
But it does run (3.0b2, that is).

Next generation Slot1/400 with similar HW does not throw up these errors, so probably represents the lowest reliable spec to have everything working as expected.

Update: 3.0final also runs on this old heap, but the apps are much slower to open compared to the beta2, eg Abiword 25s vs 15s, Seamunster >1m vs 25s, MUT ~20s vs quicker(didn't measure it!). Some of the initial booting sequences are also slower than b2. This trend is subjectively the same on modern tinware, but fast enough not to bother with a stopwatch.
OK - everything I use seems to work, so no complaints.
Probably run older versions like 1.0.8rc1 and P3b2 on the oldest kit.
pupmate

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2007, 04:43    Post subject: gxine
Subject description: bbc playback problems

PaulBX1 was having trouble, as was I, getting output from BBC Real broadcasts.
Following advice in Multimedia Howto, I visited :-

/root/.gxine/config and altered the line :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32 to :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs

This seems to do the trick, but I don't know what knock-ons this may have.

Puppy is fantastic !!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2007, 19:41    Post subject: Re: gxine
Subject description: bbc playback problems

pupmate wrote:
PaulBX1 was having trouble, as was I, getting output from BBC Real broadcasts.
Following advice in Multimedia Howto, I visited :-

/root/.gxine/config and altered the line :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32 to :-

decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs

This seems to do the trick, but I don't know what knock-ons this may have.

Puppy is fantastic !!

Hmm, I just checked that file. In pup 3.00 it is set to /usr/lib/codecs.
Page 4 of 4 [55 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: