Grafburn cd burner - new version 0.10.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Nathan F

#141 Post by Nathan F »

We all have our vices now don't we :wink: There's a lot of music I've just never been able or willing to give up.

Actually Alice Cooper has a long history with the Mormon church, most of it not being too positive either.

Other artists in my collection who might make my peers cringe are Cat Stevens, George Harrison (both of whom aren't/weren't even Christian), and Frank Zappa. I have pronounced hippy tendencies.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcagle

#142 Post by jcagle »

I used to be very involved in the Boy Scouts and many mormons I knew there listened to that kind of music anyway.

Not being a Mormon, I'm not sure how their churches feel about it. I'm a charismatic christian, and among charismatics, there's varying views on secular music, those being fine with it to those who are against any secular music, though those being against secular music tend to be more pentecostal than charismatic.

Oh, now we're off topic.

Grafburn!

I know i've got it with Grafpup 2 beta. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, but I will get around to it. It looks like a good program.

Now I can burn my Marilyn Manson MP3s to CD (just kidding, don't even like Marilyn Manson)

jcoder24

#143 Post by jcoder24 »

I have a few suggestions/requests:

1. Verification of the burnt disk/files.
2. Saving the last 'burn session' log and allow access to it from with grafburn.
3. If possible, create link on / eg /burn -> /path/to/working/dir to minimise absolute filename length. This hopefully, should help with files being renamed.
4. If possible, duplicate audio cds in way that would allow for the ablum & tracks to be recognizable to cddb.

jcoder24

GatorDog

#144 Post by GatorDog »

Will the latest version of Grafburn work with Puppy 2.13?
(Compiling if necessary).

rod

Nathan F

#145 Post by Nathan F »

Code: Select all

1. Verification of the burnt disk/files.
Yes, that should be available. No timetable on when I can do it though.

2. Saving the last 'burn session' log and allow access to it from with grafburn.
Not a bad idea either, but I have to figure out a way to do it. I do have an idea which involves redirecting cdrecord output to a file and monitoring with an Xdialog tailbox, rather than an rxvt window.

3. If possible, create link on / eg /burn -> /path/to/working/dir to minimise absolute filename length. This hopefully, should help with files being renamed.
Not sure I understand, you may have to explain a bit more.
4. If possible, duplicate audio cds in way that would allow for the ablum & tracks to be recognizable to cddb.
Should already happen because of the way cddb works, let me explain. When an application does a lookup to a cddb server, it first scans the disk and gets the track length for every song. It then queries the database for a disk which matches exactly (or nearly so) the song lengths. That is how it determines the disk ID, not by any information embedded into the disk. So if I have, say, Dark Side of the Moon in mp3 format, if I then convert that directory and burn a conventional audio disk the song lengths will match and the cddb lookup will be correct. I've tried it a few times and it seems to work for me. If it does not work for you, then I can't explain why without more information.
Will the latest version of Grafburn work with Puppy 2.13?
You will need the latest gtkdialog, which can be had from the repo at ibiblio, and cdstatus for one or two small functions (although it will skip those functions if neccessary). For best results I also reccommend installing cdrdao and my updated dvd+rwtools package (posted in this section of the forum). But the gtkdialog package is the only one you will absolutely have to install.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

jcoder24

#146 Post by jcoder24 »

Thanks Nathan for the info on how cddb works. The cd I duplicated did not initially show the album and track info with gxine. However, I subsequently installed libcddb and the info showed up.

About suggestion 3, I thought that the length of the directories and filenames were too long:
http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/jolspec.html wrote: ISO 9660 (Section 7.5.1) states that the sum of the following shall not exceed 30:

* If there is a file name, the length of the file name.
* If there is a file name extension, the length of the file name [&] extension.

On Joliet compliant media, however, the sum as calculated above shall not exceed 128, to allow for longer file identifiers.

The above lengths shall be expressed as a number of bytes.

Maximum Directory Identifier Length Increased

Joliet receiving systems shall receive directory hierarchies recorded with file names longer than those allowed by ISO 9660 receiving systems.

ISO 9660 (Section 7.6.3) states that the length of a directory identifier shall not exceed 31.

On Joliet compliant media, however, the length of a directory identifier shall not exceed 128, to allow for longer directory identifiers.
I tried creating a dvd again and realized that it was renaming the files somewhat like below.

REMOVED -- See below post
I noticed that there wasn't a "-joliet-long" option in the mkisofs/growisofs command. I looked but couldn't figure out which file to place it in to test if this would 'fix" the problem.

BTW I have another suggestion, a cd/dvd usage indicator --something to say how much space you have used/left.
Last edited by jcoder24 on Fri 22 Jun 2007, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

jcoder24

#147 Post by jcoder24 »

Output generated as it relates to post above

Executing 'mkisofs -D -J -R -f -V VOLUME -p root -publisher Grafburn cd burner /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdd obs=32k seek=0'
Warning: -follow-links does not always work correctly; be careful.
I: -input-charset not specified, using iso-8859-1 (detected in locale settings)
Using PUPPY000.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-1.0.9CE.iso (puppy-1.0.7-mozilla.iso)
Using PUPPY001.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-2.12-seamonkey-zdrv.iso (puppy-2.13-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso)
Using PUPPY002.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-2.13-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso (puppy-2.14-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso)
Using PUPPY003.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-2.14-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso (puppy-2.11-seamonkey-xorgdrvrs.iso)
Using PUPPY004.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-2.11-seamonkey-xorgdrvrs.iso (puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso)
Using PUPPY005.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso (puppy-2.02-seamonkey.iso)
Using PUPPY006.ISO;1 for /mnt/hda8/burn/grafburn_tmp/puppy/puppy-2.02-seamonkey.iso (puppy-2.10-seamonkey.iso)

jcoder24

#148 Post by jcoder24 »

About the shortening of the filenames, the real filenames show up when I mount the dvd/cd so I guess the renaming is for backward compatibility.

nubc

#149 Post by nubc »

As a user I like Grafburn a lot. One suggestion: rename the "Tools" heading as "Tasks". I didn't know what I would find under Tools when I was first trying out Grafburn, but I believe Tasks would have intuitively guided me to the function of "Erase media" which I sought. Note that the functions listed under Tools are not framed as tools, rather they are described as operations; hence, Tasks would better describe the functions listed under this category. I realize that developers are seeing programs like cdrdao, burniso2cd, dvd+rwtools, etc. but this is not what a user like myself sees. I see Grafburn as the "tool", which performs many functions, or tasks. IMHO "Tasks" would be more intuitive than "Tools".

Thanks for a great application. I appreciate your efforts.

Nathan F

#150 Post by Nathan F »

One suggestion: rename the "Tools" heading as "Tasks".
Done in my development tree. No promises on when you'll actually see it, however. I'm sure some of you may have noticed my long absence, I have virtually zero time for development work right now thanks to a new job and very limited Intenet access. But I've got a pretty large backlog of changes built up for most of my projects.

There are some problems running the latest code on Puppy, however, since I've changed some code to work with the way Grafpup is set up right now. Also, I've removed most icons from the package in favor of using icons out of the current gtk+ icon thems, but Puppy is missing some that will have to be put back or a few icons will not display in the gui.

I'll be looking into the filename length problems as soon as I get a laptop with a burner. I'm working 24/7 on location right now so no access to my desktop at home.

Nathan

zigbert

#151 Post by zigbert »

Nice to hear that you're still alive :)