upgrading Seamonkey 1.0.8 to 1.1.4

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mcewanw

seamonkey profiles

#21 Post by mcewanw »

I presume there is nothing about profiles in what miriam said earlier? I don't have time to re-read that.

I currently use Firefox and don't have Seamonkey on my system. However, I booted from the original puppy version 217 cd and found that Seamonkey-1.0.8 seems to store it's active user profile information in the folder:
/root/.mozilla/default/-------.slt
[the ------- above is called the 'salt', it's a unique jumble of letters and numbers for each profile].

You can look for it in Rox file manager. Note that when you get to /root, you have to press the Eye symbol on the Rox menu bar to see any directory or file beginning with a dot, such as .mozilla, (since they are normally hidden from view).

Inside that profile you will find your seamonkey-1.0.8 bookmarks.html file and also your Mail folder, inside which should be the account details you set up for your email account.

The new Seamonkey probably doesn't currently use /root/.mozilla to store its profiles. One way I can think of to find out where it does store them is to Bookmark some new pages whilst browsing in the new Seamonkey, close Seamonkey and then search for all bookmarks.html files your system contains. You can use Pfind for that (on my puppy 217 system, it's in JWM Menu > Filesystem > Pfind file finder). If you open each of them in turn, you will find the one that contains your new bookmarked links, so that will tell you that you have found the inside of the new Seamonkey profile directory...

The other thing you could try whilst running the new Seamonkey is to go to Tools menu and select > Switch profile...

There is a button there "Create Profile", so you could maybe successfully create a new profile there.

Finally, you might like to try replacing your new Seamonkey profile contents (i.e. the contents of the ----------.slt folder) with the profile contents from your old Seamonkey-1.0.8 folder. Make a backup of your new profile contents first (!) in case you have to go back to that original. Then, without Seamonkey running, go into the new Seamonkey --------.slt folder, empty out the contents and then copy over the contents from the old Seamonkey-1.0.8 profile (i.e. the one in /root/.mozilla/default/----------.slt (check that it's the right one by examining its bookmarks.html file).

I've just had another thought, due to your saying that the system claimed the profile was "in use". Perhaps, the new Seamonkey also detects that you have a /root/.mozilla profile and tries to use the information in there - but maybe that isn't compatible (I don't know). If what I say above doesn't work, maybe you could try the reverse. I mean by that, first back up your existing /root/.mozilla folder; then copy the newly discovered new Seamonkey profile stuff into there over-writing the old Seamonkey-1.0.8 stuff. It's just a thought. If the original suggestion doesn't work, it is always worth trying this alternative.

Hope some of the above helps. I don't know if it will work.

miriam

#22 Post by miriam »

It sounds like your Seamonkey is not re-using its loaded code. The email client should start up without opening the profile manager. Make sure your defaulbrowser and defaultemail icons point to
/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
/usr/local/bin/defaultemail
respectively, and that those scripts both invoke the "seamonkey" shell script in the folder where you installed Seamonkey. If they instead run seamonkey-bin (or perhaps a script other than "seamonkey") directly then they will start the profile manager when one is already running.

the defaultbrowser script should have a line something like this (depending on where you installed Seamonkey):
exec /usr/local/seamonkey-1.1.4/seamonkey "$@"

and the defaultemail script should look similar:
exec /usr/local/seamonkey-1.1.4/seamonkey -mail "$@"

Hope this helps.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]