Puppy 3.00BETA bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
dgi

#61 Post by dgi »

PaulBx1 wrote:The link in the old forum was http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=11848 I believe, but I don't know how to translate that into the new forum.
This? http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11848
Just replace ".org/%7E" with "-linux.com/" in the URL.

dsj

#62 Post by dsj »

Installed (frugal) Beta 3 on a laptop as well as a desktop & there are two issues noted with seamonkey on both computers, If try to get a theme for seamonkey or an add on it ends up with unexpected error 201, I can add themes & add ons to Firefox.

While playing videofiles in the browser (Seamonkey & Firefox) i can not adjust the volume, pause or restart the video as the buttons do not respond.

wmpower gives the message No power management subsystem detected. I boot with the irqpoll & acpi=force options (on the same computers, wmpower runs in Grafpup 2).

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

PaulBx1 wrote:
I could back this stuff out, if I knew what was supposed to be there. Just delete all the pango stuff in the /initrd/pup_rw/usr/lib directory I suppose?

UPDATE: There doesn't appear to be any, except that non-attached link I just created. :oops: All there is is what was under root which I guess doesn't do anything. I can clean that out too...
Well, it depends how Puppy is installed. You might find the Pango files in /initrd/pup_ro1. Delete them, then reboot. Make sure 'show hidden files' is on, so there are no whiteout files related to the pango files, either in /initrd/pup_rw or /initrd/pup_ro1.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#64 Post by BarryK »

dsj wrote:While playing videofiles in the browser (Seamonkey & Firefox) i can not adjust the volume, pause or restart the video as the buttons do not respond.
This is fixed, please read the Developer News Blog.

PaulBx1

#65 Post by PaulBx1 »

Thanks dgi, yes that is the right thread.

OK I deleted all that extraneous pango stuff.

In the process I intentionally deleted a directory /root/214upgradefiles (which is where I keep the versioncleanup stuff in an upgrade - OK I'm a packrat!) Anyway this of course only existed in my pupsave, not on the CD, so I was surprised to see my deletion generating a whiteout file, /initrd/pup_rw/root/.wh.214upgradefiles. I was hoping the new unionfs didn't do that.

I also get a few whiteout files like this every time I boot:

Code: Select all

/ >find .  -type f -name ".wh.*"|grep -v opaque
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2378-0
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2378-1
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2378-2
./initrd/pup_rw/var/lib/pcmcia/.wh.cm-2381-0
They tend to pile up after a while. These too are apparently files in my pupsave so don't need whiteouts. Maybe I should just clear them out with a command in rc.local! :roll:

Seems like this bug should have been dealt with by the unionfs folks by now. It's pretty blatant. And it doesn't seem like the sort of thing it would be hard to fix.

zygo

I too can't connect to the internet through external dialup

#66 Post by zygo »

Philh,

I too can't connect to the internet through external dialup modem. Using pupdial, I get the same lines in var/log/messages as you. I can't connect with eznet niether.

I have tried only pupdial in 3.00 old kernel and that failed too.

Firefox

Dial up

#67 Post by Firefox »

There may be some shared library files missing, I generally download wvdial and gnome-ppp and use that combination but it doesnt work in V3.00 . just complains about missing libcrypto.09.so or something. Worked ok in 2.16. Please could they be replaced.

PaulBx1

#68 Post by PaulBx1 »

I looked in /usr/lib in both 2.16 and 3.00, and found 2.16 has a link that 3.00 does not have. Try booting 3.00 and going to /usr/lib (in a console window) and doing this command:

ln -s libcrypto.so.0.9.8 libcrypto.so.0.9.7

See if that fixes it...

There should also be a link there of libcrypto.so.0.

As to the unionfs thing, I figured out a possible reason for .wh files to be created even for deleting files in the writable layer: in case there is another file of the same name in a layer that is not mounted at the time. If you later mount it, you don't want the file to reappear. Yeah, it sounds lame, but that's all I can figure...

Firefox

#69 Post by Firefox »

Thanks for the tip.
I tried your linking method and yes it worked, but then the modem went down, but at least I know its part of the problem.
Ther is libcrypto.so and libcrypto.so.0.9.7 links to libcrypto 0.9.8 in /usr/lib.
I removed wvdial and gnome with petget and found i couldnt get the desktop connect icon to run.reverted to gkdial which i`m using now.I really dont understand why things work in one distro and fail to work in another!.

Firefox

#70 Post by Firefox »

I just tried reinstalling wvdial153 and gnome-ppp and guess what - everything works with no dropout of modem???. Dont ask how cause i dont know unless the previuos links are still active because i didnt relink the libcrypto files.
Anyway thanks for your help.

PaulBx1

#71 Post by PaulBx1 »

Glad I could help; usually I'm the one asking for it! :roll:

Here is a snapshot of the revised Partview on top of the old one (in the usual position, partially obscured by the task bar).

I have set the width of the mini windows to default at 6 (the 2nd executable "label" statement). Seems big enough.

One other thing about Partview. In 2.16 only hda1, the pup_save and unionfs (with the same sizes as the pup_save) is visible. With 3.00 we now have 3 new things, two ramdisks and something called shmfs. Wonder what these are... Maybe there needs to be a little more filtering to get rid of extraneous devices that most folks won't be interested in. I can do that if I know what people want to see and what they don't want to see.

kirk

#72 Post by kirk »

Tried the Network wizard in 3.00 with WPA/TKIP. It said "unable to establish WPA connection", but it did. I was connected to the network. So I tried it again with Rutilt running so I could see when it got connected. As soon as I clicked "OK" on the "unable to establish WPA connection" dialog it connected and I was able to use DHCP. It did work fine in 2.17. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to work with it. Not there a lot.

willhunt

#73 Post by willhunt »

I would be more curious about the shared memory file system myself
anyone ?
[url=http://hostfile.org/icepak.pet]176 Icewm Themes :!:[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/39fl3x]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/2q7cbp]vlc-0.8.6c-i586.pet[/url]

PaulBx1

#74 Post by PaulBx1 »

I tried the Universal Installer, putting Puppy and my pupsave on a flash drive. Also tried Wakepup2 since this computer can't boot off USB directly. (USB 1.1)

1) The first screen of Wakepup is not exactly clear. Not sure what is being asked. Worse, while you are sitting there reading it, trying to figure it out, it times out and continues on. I don't think there should be a timeout here. Fortunately it did (almost, see next item) complete the boot. I was a bit surprised it did not give me a choice of pupsaves since I had a couple on the top directory of the hard drive, but it simply used only the one on the flash drive instead.

2) The above boot dumped me at the prompt (with no warning message or anything, just the prompt). I had to type "xwin" twice to get fully up. After typing it the first time I got another prompt with the usual warning about not shutting down correctly.

3) I was just searching on one of these web pages for a word (Seamonkey: Edit>Find in This Page) when I discovered the find gives the "not found" message even if I am looking right at the word the find dialog is searching for. I tried this many times. However I just tried it again on this "Post a reply" page and now it works. Anyway, there appears to be something intermittently wrong with Seamonkey "find".

John Doe

#75 Post by John Doe »

PaulBx1 wrote:The first screen of Wakepup is not exactly clear. Not sure what is being asked.
thanks. i'll review the text for the next image.
PaulBx1 wrote:Worse...it times out and continues on.
agreed. i'll check if there is a menu option to stop that.
PaulBx1 wrote:The above boot dumped me at the prompt (with no warning message or anything, just the prompt). I had to type "xwin" twice to get fully up.
perhaps your boot used the last linld file to boot. i should make it normal in the next image. on my test machine i normally use pfix=ram,nox (that would perhaps result in the behavior you mention). the last linld file could have been something else that was really strange.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#76 Post by BarryK »

Those who have been testing Internet dialup with 3.00beta (and failed), could please try this. Before starting PupDial or whatever dialup program you wish to use, open a terminal and type this:
# modprobe -vn crc-ccitt
# modprobe -vn zlib-deflate
...then try dialing the Internet.

zygo

zygo

#77 Post by zygo »

It works Barry. I'm posting this with NetSurf.
Cheers.

pbtw NetSurf doesn't like cursor control keys!

zygo

zygo

#78 Post by zygo »

The xnetload gui shows only the cancel button. I had to start it from the command line:

xnetload -if ppp0

pppd is not listed in kp.

2byte

#79 Post by 2byte »

I have a 2.17 frugal install with no pup_save file where everything gets saved directly to the partition. Trying to upgrade with the 3.00 beta fails. I copied the necessary 4 files to / and rebooted. It all went well until just before it was time to get an IP address with DHCP. Then the screen went black and froze. No prompt was visible. Rebooted and got to the point where a red text message appeared saying that the previous boot failed, or was not shut down properly (something like that) and advised to type xorgwizard or xwin. The next line appeared, without my typing anything, about trying to get an IP address from DHCP and it froze again. I gave up for now.

Philh

#80 Post by Philh »

Dial up
# modprobe -vn crc-ccitt
# modprobe -vn zlib-deflate
...then try dialing the Internet.

Works for me using pupdial