Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 07:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
slapt-get/glapt for puppy 3.00
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 6 [80 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
kirk

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep 2007, 21:51    Post subject:  slapt-get/glapt for puppy 3.00
Subject description: Slackware package manager for Puppy 3.00

This is a pet package of the latest slapt-get and Gslapt for Slackware 12. Slapt-get is a Slackware package manager and Gslapt is a GUI for it.

Gslapt will download any needed dependencies, so I made a list of slack packages that seem to be in Puppy 3.00beta. When you install the pet package it will populate /var/log/packages with package files, all empty, So don't try and remove any of these packages with Gslapt. Seems to work pretty well, but Puppy's menu structure is not compatible with slack, so menu entries won't show up.

After you install the package, restart JWM, connect to the internet and go to Menu - Setup - Gslapt. Then click update to get a new list of available packages.
gslapt_puppy-0.3.18.pet
Description  Updated 10/19/07 16:15 Eastern time (gmt -5)
pet

Download 
Filename  gslapt_puppy-0.3.18.pet 
Filesize  681.81 KB 
Downloaded  9696 Time(s) 

Last edited by kirk on Fri 19 Oct 2007, 16:18; edited 6 times in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 06:50    Post subject:  

I wondered who would take that one on! Smile

Okay, I will see if I can fix the menu problem, so that Slackware entries will appear in Puppy's menu.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 07:12    Post subject:  

Embarassed

Good news from Barry and Kirk Smile
Making Slackware binaries available is wonderful.

I think I may have to do a new web presentation for Puppy 3

Smile thanks guys

iscraigh

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 14:12    Post subject:  

Worked great for me

Thanks

Craig
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 15:39    Post subject:  

Tried to install kaffeine. It downloaded the acl package which is some kind of basic file handling package. I updated the pet package so that acl is showed installed.

This is experimental software, if you have dependency which gets installed and hoses everything up, let me know. Updated the original post. I guessed about the versions (and sometimes content) of many of the fake packages. Puppy packages don't directly correspond to slacks , but I think we can get close enough.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:17    Post subject:  

Yeah, as it is experimental, let's aim at getting things sorted out for v3.01. I've got too much on my plate for v3.00, especially as I've got full-time work coming up on 24th, for 13 days.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:23    Post subject:  

kirk,
what would be good is if Gslapt can do the same direct-install to the pup_save file in the case of Flash memory. It's quite easy, look in /usr/sbin/petget and search for the string "v2.21". But, Gslapt is compiled code isn't it? which is a problem... the source would probably have to be hacked to get that functionality, unless some kind of wrapper can be put around the executable.
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 20:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
Yeah, as it is experimental, let's aim at getting things sorted out for v3.01.

Yes, if we can get some folks with high-speed connections to play with it, we'll get it worked out. I've tried a couple of SDL games, Dillo-patched, Kino, and Kaffeine. All seem to work. Gslapt/slapt-get is a nice package manager. I never realized how many mirrors are out there for slackware ether.

I wonder if unleashed could be modified to use slack packages? If puppy could be built with all or almost all slack packages, wouldn't have to bother with compiling and hosting all the packages and sources. Guess it might make for one fat dog though. Wink
kirk

PostPosted: Thu 20 Sep 2007, 21:30    Post subject:  

Quote:
what would be good is if Gslapt can do the same direct-install to the pup_save file in the case of Flash memory.

Yep, probably have to hack the source. Slapt-get has many command line options, I'll check. You've seen my bash scripting, my C is worse! Laughing If I can get some time I'll check it out, I'm working full time, I'm on call from time to time (tonight), I'm building a house, got two kids, and involved at church. So sometimes the spare time disappears. But I usually can find an hour here and there.

I'll see if the slapt-get developer can help us out. Might be something easy for him to implement.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2007, 09:37    Post subject:  

Yes, 'acl' is already in Puppy. You can see what's already there by doing this:
# grep '" on "' /root/.packages/packages.txt | cut -f 2 -d '"'
...although, I bunched all the Xorg packages into just a few.
kirk

PostPosted: Fri 21 Sep 2007, 21:52    Post subject:  

I looked at /root/.packages/packages.txt and thought that was just a list of the unleashed packages, didn't notice the on/off. Embarassed

I'll check that list against the one I'm using and update the pet package I posted above. Might be a couple days.

Also, I contacted the developer of slapt-get about changing the install path root. He said you can do that by setting the the ROOT environment variable when running slapt-get and gslapt. So I tried it with:

export ROOT=/root/spot

and everything installed to /root/spot/...... Smile

Gslapt looked for /root/spot/var/log/packages and naturally didn't find it. Then I tried :

export ROOT=/initrd/pup_rw

And all seemed to work normally when I installed a package. Everything appeared on the top layer and Unionfs didn't seem to freak-out. Though I just installed a small package.

So just need to make little wrapper scripts for gslapt and slapt-get that tests the pupmode and sets the ROOT.
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2007, 05:17    Post subject:  

kirk wrote:
export ROOT=/initrd/pup_rw

And all seemed to work normally when I installed a package. Everything appeared on the top layer and Unionfs didn't seem to freak-out. Though I just installed a small package.

So just need to make little wrapper scripts for gslapt and slapt-get that tests the pupmode and sets the ROOT.

Yes, but the wapper script has to do a little bit more to ensure that the files always do appear on top. Search for the text "v2.21" in petget, and you'll find where I have done a remount with the 'incgen' option -- this has to be done after the install.
magerlab

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2007, 13:58    Post subject:  

tried to install this pack but it says that some libraries needed( libcurl e.g)
i use 2.16 now

kirk

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2007, 14:31    Post subject:  

This is only for puppy 3.00
kirk

PostPosted: Sat 22 Sep 2007, 23:18    Post subject:  

Big update to the package list. I think it's pretty good now. Also, the pinstall.sh extracts puppy's package.txt file in to /var/log/packages too. So there are some duplicate packages with slightly different package names, but I don't think it matters. Gslapt only lists the ones that match the list it downloads. Tried using puppy's package.txt only, but too many differences with slack packages.

The goal with the package list is to minimize downloads and to prevent downloading somthing that uthenizes puppy.

Made wrapper scripts for slapt-get and gslapt to support direct-install to the pup_save file when using flash memory.

My wrapper scripts look like this: (Largely lifted from petget)

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
if [ $PUPMODE -eq 3 -o $PUPMODE -eq 7 -o $PUPMODE -eq 13 ];then
export ROOT=/initrd${SAVE_LAYER}
gslapt1
mount -t unionfs -o remount,incgen unionfs /
sync
else
gslapt1
fi

And one like it for slapt-get. Hopefully that's sufficient. Seems to work. Had to change my pinstall.sh to work with flash too.

Updated the file attached to the original post.
Page 1 of 6 [80 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: