Transfer large files with Puppy's FTP server

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
LittleSpooky

Transfer large files with Puppy's FTP server

#1 Post by LittleSpooky »

Got no help from another site what so ever, so I came here because you guys are good:

I designed a Screen Saver and I want to get it to a friend of mine. She uses Hotmail, and so I can't mail it to her (even zipped) because it's larger than 10MB. I want to put it up on my website so she can grab it and get it installed. I have it as an .exe file. Do I just upload the .zipped version of the .exe file? I have Tripod / Lycos as my home page provider.

I appreciate the help you guys can give me.

Spooky

MU

#2 Post by MU »

You can upload zip or exe.

But many hosters have a filesize-limit.

Other hosters just allow to upload large files using Ftp, but not with a web-interface.

If you encounter problems, send me the file via mail, and I might upload it for some days on my webspace.

MarkUlrich(xxx)gmx.de

replace the (xxx) with the "at"-symbol, cannot find it on my keyboard here :oops:

Greets, Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

upload here and give the link

http://www.yourfilehost.com/index.php

Hope that helps
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

LittleSpooky

#4 Post by LittleSpooky »

Cool, thanks.

Mark: I'm gonna try the website and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll mail it to you.

Thanks again guys. I knew I should have come here first :roll:

UPDATE @ 2222MDT (10:22pm):

I got it uploaded to YourFileHost.com

Thanks Lobster for the information :)

Spooky

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

My recomendation would be to activate your puppy FTP server and let her get it directly from your computer, no middle man (person?) involved.

It also reduces the overall time as upload/download happen simultaneously

I created a HOW-TO for that. I wrote it for computers on the same network but you may be able to extrapolate to your situation. http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=13080#13080. If you need help using the FTP server let me know.

LittleSpooky

#6 Post by LittleSpooky »

*yips* Damn... Rarsa, I love you, but would someone WARN ME when yall gonna change my topic titles!!!?? Oivey. *quivers in the corner*

And I'll go chew on that for a little while, yes.

But I'm still runnin Winblows for now because I don't have the time right now to commit to a wipe / fresh install of Puppy / Windows with job hunting. The only program I have that does not support Linux is the one I create Screen Savers with. So I have to keep that for it (it's how I'm makin some pocket change).
:oops: :? :cry:

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

littlespooky wrote:would someone WARN ME when yall gonna change my topic titles!!!??
I see flash's hand at it. I had nothing to do with the change. The topic is now missleading although I have to agree, the previous topic was completely missleading. I had time yesterday to read it, but I would have normally skipped a post with that generic topic.
I don't have the time right now to commit to a wipe / fresh install of Puppy / Windows
What? a "fresh install" of puppy/windows is as tedious as inserting the PuppyCD and booting up the computer. You don't need a HDD installation for FTP transfers (or for anything else in puppy).

What version of windows do you use?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

I confess, I did it. :oops:

When I read the whole thread, I thought the original subject line wouldn't be very effective at getting people to read the post (though now I can't remember what the original subject line was.) I thought rarsa's post describing how to use Puppy's FTP server program to do the job requested in the first post pretty much wrapped up the thread. Sorry if I was wrong.

LittleSpooky

#9 Post by LittleSpooky »

WinBlows 2000. Eventually, I want to be running straight Pup, sorry if I wasn't that clear. I just don't have the time right now to mess with having a hard drive dedicated to Linux like I want (the ENTIRE drive), nor do I have the $$ for the upgrades. I have to do a TON of back up / Ghosting in order to delete one drive and turn it into a Pup Drive and then have WinBlows on the other.

Flash: It's cool, it just caught me way off guard is all :) :shock:

I thought Rarsa had Super Mod Powers or something like that... it's all good ;)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

It's possible to have a dual-boot system, with Windows and Linux each running from its own separate partition on the same hard drive. Is that not an option for you?

I've done it myself, although not with Puppy. The only risky part is partitioning your hard drive if you have NTFS file system.

LittleSpooky

#11 Post by LittleSpooky »

I have NTFS format yes, but eventually, I want to switch over to Pup completely by next summer. I want to keep the two OS's separate because of the format style.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

Do you have a copy of Partition Magic 8? I've used that program many times to resize/delete/create NTFS and Linux partitions. Older versions of Partition Magic will do all that to NTFS partitions but don't support Linux, if I remember right.

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

Little spooky, What I meant to say is that you don't need to get rid of your windows XP to share that file through the puppy FTP server.

Just download the pup001.zip file and unzip it to your c:\

That's all you need to do. When you boot the puppy CD it won't try to mess with your NTFS. It won't modify it at all. Your puppy files and parameters will be saved to that pup001 file. Trick: If you want puppy to boot very fast, also copy the usr_cram.fs from the CD into C:\

That's how I use puppy 90% of the time. I have a laptop provided by the company I work for. It has NTFS and I cannot install anything there nor repartition the HDD. I always boot puppy from CD and I am happy.

Once you boot with puppy, you can see (but not modify) the contents of C: under in /mnt/home

So if in windows your file is under C:\myscreensaver\myscreensaver.exe, under puppy it will be under /mnt/home/myscreensaver/myscreensaver.exe

To give your friend FTP access to that particular folder you create a user with the following command

adduser -h /mnt/home/screensaver myfriend

Follow the instructions on the link I sent you, it's quite easy.

The other option is copying the file to the /root/ghttpd/htdocs folder and asking your friend to browse to the following address:

http://<yourIP>/screensaver.exe

Extra question. How do you connect to the internet?

Another option is: if you have IIS installed you already have and FTP server in WIndows.

LittleSpooky

#14 Post by LittleSpooky »

Internet: Comcast cable. I plug it in, make sure my drivers work for my network card, and go from there.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Hey, that's excellent, Rarsa. Much easier than partitioning, formatting, installing, etc.

I think I'll put your post in the sticky index in the Beginners forum.