Opera 9,5 Alpha Available

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
ecomoney

Opera 9,5 Alpha Available

#1 Post by ecomoney »

Hi there, was reading this article which suggest that the new opera is significantly faster than previous versions. I would like to try it as it seems to be the only browser that will work with the new proprietary flash 9 (which adobe have made a dogs breakfast of...no pun intended). Although it is unfamiliar to most people, I would consider adding it to the next ecopup for this reason and this reason alone.

The package can be downloaded from here if someone would like to make a package up for it. It says it needs GCC 4 which I have a vague idea is something important that I read on Barry's blog will be in the next version of puppy or something.

Thanks in advance
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Flash 9 works ok for me in firefox, in Puppy 2.12 (Muppy 007)

I modified /usr/local/mozstart according to a tip by (I think) GuestToo:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

# Include /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins in the plugin path:
#added to fix the FLASH 9 bug that crashes the browser
if [ "$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH" ] ; then
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=$MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH:${moz_libdir}/plugins:/root/.mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
else
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=${moz_libdir}/plugins:/root/.mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
fi
export MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
#end of add to fix the FLASH 9 bug that crashes the browser

#Puppy does not want more than one instance of Moz running.

#aug06:
#note, must execute mozilla-bin here, as it is a script with
# a bug fix, and then executes seamonkey-bin.

### modified to run firefox by default ###
cd /usr/lib/firefox
./firefox "$@"
exit 0

Can you tell me a page, where your firefox crashes?
I'd like to test it :)

Mark

SirDuncan

#3 Post by SirDuncan »

My FireFox crashed constantly with the new Flash until I found a patch on Todd's site. I think it was an updated version of the glibc libraries.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Pence

#4 Post by Pence »

Flash 9 seemed to work ok for me with Opera 9.22, in Puppy 2.16 nop, but then some Flash 7 sites would not work, so I went back to Flash 7.
In Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, I have Opera 9.23 with Flash 9 and It works fine.

ecomoney

News

#5 Post by ecomoney »

When I read this, my heart jumped into my mouth!!!

MU...I think the file is in /usr/local/bin. This is the file that starts Seamonkey? I do wish to keep seamonkey in firefox as it uses flash 7 and so will work on popular sites like youtube and myspace. Could I make a copy of it and use it to start firefox with the modifications you made?

Sir Duncan, where is Todds site?
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

MU

Re: News

#6 Post by MU »

ecomoney wrote: Could I make a copy of it and use it to start firefox with the modifications you made?
shure, call it "my-firefox" or whatever. And make it executable of course.
I just modified mozstart directly, so that firefox will be used as default-browser.

Concerning the other tip with glibc I would be a bit sceptical:
it is a very important library, and replacing it might cause instability in other programs.
So I never tried that.
I often visit sites that use flash for advertisement, and had no crashes so far with the small startscript mentioned above.
Before, Firefox crashed often (but that was an older version, have not tried to run the updated one without that script yet).

Mark

SirDuncan

#7 Post by SirDuncan »

There actually is no longer a link on the main page to the location of glibc2.4. Luckily for you I had the page it is located on bookmarked.
<http://www.toddrichardson.com/archive/>

It is towards the bottom. It must be installed as an alien package. Hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

I don't think you will need GCC 4 for opera as it is ditributed only as binaries i have the latest stable opera 9.23 running in puppy 2.16 and it is the shared qt version although i don't think flash is working but that is my fault i think LOL
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

mouldy

#9 Post by mouldy »

Am using Opera 9.50alpha now. Dont see any great speed increase, maybe wee bit faster, but thats kind of subjective.

Why do you need a pkg? I just downloaded tar.gz version with static qt. Extracted it to a blank directory. cd'd to the sub directory and then ./install.sh

Say yes couple times and its installed and runs. Not a big deal.

I have noticed a couple bugs but nothing very serious so far.

cb88

#10 Post by cb88 »

you may want to try it out on a slower pc then it will be more distinct (or maybe you are on a slow pc!) as far as speed they are measuring the rendering of javascript in milliseconds so it is not really noticeable on a new PC. Why would you want a .pet you ask? well is flash 9 working for you? i think that would be the only reason.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

KF6SNJ

#11 Post by KF6SNJ »

I actually found it easier to download the most recent version of Opera and run it's prepackaged installer. Simply download and extract the tar.gz file. Then goto the command line and cd to where the installer is (I renamed the installer folder "opera" for the sake of simplicity). It installed nicely and it is what I am using for e-mail and networking. I only use SeaMonkey for Puppy forums.

Pence

#12 Post by Pence »

Has anyone tried Flashplayer9 Update with Opera 9.5? http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer9/

sintot

#13 Post by sintot »

Yes, and it's not working for me :-(

Pence

#14 Post by Pence »

Thanks sintot. I didn't see what the flash9update minimum requirements for linux are, but I sure wouldn't be able to run it with windows:

2.0 GHz Pentium-class processor or better
512MB of RAM
32MB video RAM
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, XP Service Pack 2; Vista

Additionally, for high-definition video (720p or 1080p) content encoded with either On2 or H.264, performance will vary depending on the capabilities and configuration of your machine. In general a 2.0 GHz Mac or a 3GHz PC, with one or more processors, will deliver an optimum experience.

sintot

#15 Post by sintot »

Now it's working, with Opera 9.50 Alpha 1589, and flash plugin 9.0.60.184. It has some problems (ocasionally, I have to reload a page), but works.

ecomoney

Tried

#16 Post by ecomoney »

I have opera installed and am using it for the first time. I would have to say on initial impression it would be very unfamiliar for people formerly users of other browser (internet explorer or firefox), but it seems to be very customizeable. I changed the setup and the skin and it looks a lot more recognizeable as a browser now.

The main thing about this browser is that it is FAST!!! Currently its loaded from the pup_save.2fs file and its still roughly as fast load as seamonkey from memory.

I still need to get some things working (a spell checker would be nice) and most critically, flash 9. Will check the forum.