HomeBank, Grisbi & Gnucash

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
TonshA

#41 Post by TonshA »

A review of buddi here:

http://www.linux.com/feature/119138

It's not a true accounts package. Just a personal finance manager.

DaveA

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

I think one that has been overlooked in this thread is Qhacc. It's a PET package on ibiblio. It needs Qt.

muggins

#43 Post by muggins »

do you think it's worth compiling the latest version barry, as the one on ibiblio is v3.3, but latest is 3.5? (next release will use QT4.2!)

muggins

#44 Post by muggins »

i've uploaded a .pet of qhacc-3.5 here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21917

SimplyFlower

#45 Post by SimplyFlower »

The first personal finance software program that I used was MS Money, because I was still using MS Windows. When I decided to switch completely to Linux, I chose Kmymoney2 because it was stated to be like MS Money. I used KmyMoney2 for over a year and liked it.

Then I decided to make Puppy my main OS. I tried all the finance programs available to Puppy and finally chose Grisbi because it would import .qif files. I thought I would be able to import from an exported Kmymoney2 .qif file. This didn't work. The help files weren't useful and the online support isn't in English (English is the only language I can speak and read).

Eventually, I installed GnuCash in another distro and imported the Kmymoney2 .qif into GnuCash. Then I was able to export my data file and sucessfully import it into Grisbi. While I still had GnuCash installed, I decided to use it to see if I liked it. I didn't. It would mix up the entries and when I tried to fix them the program would crash. After a day of frustrations, I uninstalled GnuCash.

In Puppy, I used Grisbi for several months (having finally imported my accounts). It was okay, but I still much preferred Kmymoney2. The main reason I disliked Grisbi was the lack of support and documentation in English. I had to spend a lot of time just figuring out how to do things myself which I never actually got to use the program's complete functionality due to lack of knowledge. Then I discovered how to get a working Kmymoney2 in Puppy. So, I was happliy back to using Kmymoney2.
TonshA wrote:A review of buddi here:

http://www.linux.com/feature/119138

It's not a true accounts package. Just a personal finance manager.

DaveA
I took a look at Buddi and downloaded it. It seems to be a very nice program that works cross-platform (e.g. Windows, Mac, Linux). It will work in any operating system that has Sun Java 1.5 or greater installed which makes it very nice for portability using an USB key (or with a multisession Puppy CD/DVD). It's small (one jar file that is less than 30 K), additional plugins are available for import/export functions which are also very small, fairly simple to use, is well documented, well maintained and supported, several translations are available (English being the main language), and of course open GPL.

The advantage I can see over Kmymoney2 and/or GnuCash is that Buddi doesn't require KDE or Gnome, is cross-platform, and will also help a person to create and maintain a budget which Kmymoney2 doesn't (not sure about GnuCash). The disadvantage is Buddi doesn't have any easy way to reconcile accounts. It's all manual using an outside calculator and checking a person's entries against the bank's. Whereas, Kmymoney2 (not sure about GnuCash) has a nice GUI window that shows running amount differences between the Kmymoney account and the bank's statement.

The advantage I can see over Grisbi is that Buddi supports several translations (mainly English). Grisbi's support is in French. In my opinion, Buddi's import/export functionality works better than Grisbi's (of course not being able to read French, maybe this functionality is the same).

The disadvantage of including Buddi in Puppy is that it requires a full install of Sun Java (it can't use any cut-down versions of java) which would make Puppy's initial iso too large. But just like Sun Java can be added as a .pet package, so could Buddi.

At first glance, I like Buddi. I was able to import my Kmymoney2 .qif file and will be using Buddi for the next few months to really see if it meets all my requirements. It starts up a little slow being java, but once running, it's ok. I think it will be a great financial program to add to Puppy's selection of available add-on .pet packages.
Last edited by SimplyFlower on Thu 04 Oct 2007, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#8B0AE0]-- [i][size=150]SimplyFlower[/size][/i][/color]
[size=25]Puppy Linux 2.15CE Final, Frugal w/pup_save.2fs file; Dell w/ Intel Celeron 1.1 GHZ, 512 MB RAM[/size]
[color=#8B0AE0][url=http://my.care2.com/simplyflower]Care2[/url][/color]

Bahurim

#46 Post by Bahurim »

I see gnucash is up to version 2.2.1 as of 8-20-07. Has anyone compiled this on puppy from source to see if it will run without the floating point problems?

I have been checking out these finance proggys and wouldn't you know it I really like moneydance, except you have to pay for it.

Also, I have been looking for kmymoney2 for puppy but cannot find a pet or dotpup. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

SimplyFlower

#47 Post by SimplyFlower »

Bahurim wrote:Also, I have been looking for kmymoney2 for puppy but cannot find a pet or dotpup. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
As far as I know, there isn't a .pet or .pup package for Kmymoney2. There are too many dependencies that have to be met being a KDE application. This does not mean you can't get Kmymoney2 to run in Puppy. You may want to read my earlier post:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 394#134394
[size=25]Puppy Linux 2.15CE Final, Frugal w/pup_save.2fs file; Dell w/ Intel Celeron 1.1 GHZ, 512 MB RAM[/size]

Bahurim

#48 Post by Bahurim »

Ok, thanks SimplyFlower. I am running TeenPup which has a bunch of KDE libs already and was hoping kmymoney2 would run on it without any additional libs. So you just compile it from source then?

SimplyFlower

#49 Post by SimplyFlower »

Bahurim wrote:Ok, thanks SimplyFlower. I am running TeenPup which has a bunch of KDE libs already and was hoping kmymoney2 would run on it without any additional libs. So you just compile it from source then?
I'm not very familiar with TeenPup, but if you have Gslapt you could install the slackware packages. If not, you can get a Slackware .tgz and try installing as an alien package in PetGet installer. Or you could just compile it from source.

Remember, you will also need libofx. Kmymoney2 won't run without it.

hankyknot

Any progress?

#50 Post by hankyknot »

Its been a while since anything was added to this post and I'm still looking for linux based alternatives to windows based acounting software, it truly is the last necessity before I can honestly do everything I need within puppy.

Has anyone found anything that actually works?
Opening my mind...
...by closing my Windows.

GeoffS

#51 Post by GeoffS »

Sorry hankyknot - I can't get past running QuickBooks under Wine. It works perfectly for me although I accept QuickBooks is not ideal for personal bookkeeping.
I'd be very interested if somebody got the latest version of Gnucash running on Puppy.
Cheers
Geoff

hankyknot

#52 Post by hankyknot »

I'm looking for a business accounting package more than a personal one. Will have another crack at wine over the weekend and see how I get on. Keep your eyes open for a few "help desperately needed with wine" posts :D
Opening my mind...

ronsking

MoneyDance?

#53 Post by ronsking »

I've read the discussion of finance programs for Puppy with interest.

Has anyone tried MoneyDance on Puppy? It runs in Java on WIndows, Mac or Linux.
I've tried it on my Mac and it ran fine. It _is_ a commercial program ($29); not open source.

http://moneydance.com/

hankyknot

Quasar?

#54 Post by hankyknot »

..I dont knoiw enough about linux to know which one to try and how to load it to puppy.

linuxcanada.com has a product called Quasar which is available precompiled for the following flavours;

CentOS
Fedora
Kubuntu
Mandriva
RHEL
SuSE
Windows

Which one is best suited to puppy and how do I go about installing non pup apps?

Simply locked me out again so I'm now determined to get a Linux based basic accounting app for my business.
Opening my mind...

paladin_pc

#55 Post by paladin_pc »

I see that it has been a long time since this topic had any real activity. Is anyone still working on getting and accounting system into Puppy or is this a totally dead issue?

Just a short update would be appreciated.

sidders

#56 Post by sidders »

Pelo

Grisbi and Homebank

#57 Post by Pelo »

Both can export to qif and csv formats. I use Grisbi because i am french. I dont succeed using permanent transfer (monthly). Seem inoperative in Grisbi.
I succeed inporting Grisbi data into Homebank (easily)
Homebank 4.5.5 Puppy night LXDE
Attachments
Eurozone_participation.png
Beware, England is apart from zone euro, but not Ireland republic
(50.17 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 03 Mar 2016, 11:51, edited 6 times in total.

Pelo

Gnucash bugfixes in 2.6.3 version (2014)

#58 Post by Pelo »

Changes
Between 2.6.2 and 2.6.3, the following bugfixes were accomplished:

Bug #721196: Cannot import lines with empty fields for deposit or withdrawal in bank transaction download,
Bug #721654: Style sheet preference is not saved for a Preconfigured Report.
Bug #723975: Dialog box displayed during QIF import has placeholder text.
Bug #724995:Gnucash crashes due to assertion failed when opening sqlite file.
Bug #726430: Python: account.getName() raises TypeError.
Bug #726891: Segmentation fault on session.end().
Yes ! soon we will be able to download our accounts :D in USD ? :x
I'am frenchy with an account in BNP Paribas :( :( :( :(

Papy

Homebank Maxime DOYEN

#59 Post by Papy »

Maxime DOYEN free.fr
How can we update the default address to internet ? No suitable web browser executable could be found. i am with seamonkey.

Pelo

Estimate weight of your shopping list Instead of cost

#60 Post by Pelo »

Homebank : just change freely the currency in KG (or pounds, if you are a commonwealth citizen).
settings
Attachments
emballages.jpg
glass plastic (trash) paper (pet) replace bank icons
(55.8 KiB) Downloaded 223 times