Puppy 3.00BETA bug reports here

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 3.00BETA bug reports here

#1 Post by BarryK »

Use this thread to post 3.00beta bug reports.

Sage

#2 Post by Sage »

When running XVESA, it is still necessary to run TEST, rather than OKAY in order for the default res. to be changed.

Robb

3.00 beta

#3 Post by Robb »

My initial impression is that it looks great. Booted from the CD flawlessly. Used pfix=ram but noticed a lot of hard drive access during bootup. Is this normal? I *think* it did this in the alpha, too. I have 2.17.1 installed to it's own partition and I'm wondering if it still looks for installed files.

Puppy continues to be my favorite linux distro - great job!

keithcleaver

#4 Post by keithcleaver »

When I've tried to copy the files over to my USB stick, I've noticed two of the files have different numbers in the names than what's in the release notes:
For USB or frugal-hd installations, just copy the latest files (vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_300.sfs and zdrv_300.sfs) to the USB or hd boot media.
The pup file is pup_221, and the zdrv file is also numbered 221.

Is this going to cause a problem when I try to copy them over to the stick?

GeorgR

Making filesystem useable failed

#5 Post by GeorgR »

'switch_root' to new Unionfs fiilesystem ... done
Making filesystem useable ..... failed!

After 60 sec Pause booting was continued and Puppy runs very well.

All Hardware was detected and runs without any problems.
- PC with NVIDIA 6150 Chip, 1366 DVI LCD, spdif sound
- Notebook Armada M300

First booting Live CD or after Frugal Install - everytime on both computer the same picture:

Bootfailure message with 60 sec pausing and then starting without any problems.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

Boot up is significantly faster and easier. The k/b setting for USA is shown twice - first entry and next UK towards the end. The shutdown fiasco is still present. Will it- won't it, depends on m/b, BIOS setting and whether there's a statement <force=acpi> or somesuch in one of the configs. This is irksome, many other distros manage to work out what to do.
NetSurf sure is basic, but lacks the fantastic speed (and small size?) of Dillo. Only the two extremes are needed? Seabloat and Dillo. Opera is always the better single option!
When attempting load Dillo.pet (using 800x600 XOrg), the message panel about missing dependencies fails to float, so it's necessary to increase resolution to see the button options at the base of the window. This is an ancient deficiency that used to abound with most flavours of penguin. Damn annoying!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Making filesystem useable failed

#7 Post by Lobster »

GeorgR wrote:'switch_root' to new Unionfs fiilesystem ... done

Yes. I had this too . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

Boot and full HD install to a second HD went fine. I let it install GRUB and I may have got in a hurry, because I told it to install grub to the 2nd HD and it used that menu.lst when I rebooted. I know this because I modified menu.lst on the 1st HD and it did not show up when I rebooted.
Also, I have to update my cd burner drive as well as my DVD drive as they seem to be flakey. I cannot use burniso2cd with the drive although it seems to work with NERO in WIN98SE.
Other than that, all seems well so far. The CD burner drive is a Philips CDRW model 1280.
I did discover for those that say burniso2cd does not work for them to open a terminal first and run it from there. It will tell them (in the terminal) what errors may have occured.

kirk

#9 Post by kirk »

GeorgR wrote:
'switch_root' to new Unionfs fiilesystem ... done

Me too. Booting Frugal, with no pup_save file.

No problem when booting with a pup_save file.

pfix=debug doesn't work anymore. Did work in 2.20.

CUPS gives this error when I try to add a printer:

server-error-internal-error
Last edited by kirk on Sun 16 Sep 2007, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.

tronkel

CUPS daemon and printing

#10 Post by tronkel »

CUPS does not work on my system running Puppy 3.0beta
Using the CUPS setup program via the wizard, everything seems OK at first. The browser loads the localhost:631 url, with a message stating that it cannot find resources. This might indicate that the daemon has not been started.

If the the url is altered to read localhost:631/printers, a CUPS printer setup screen then loads but minus its normal graphics logos.

If an attempt is then made to add a printer, the routine exits with a "server_error" message.

ALSA now retains is config over reboots.

Can now resize the pup_save OK

For the first time ever on this machine, XORG gets a far as displaying the monitor table, something which no other distro has managed.as yet. Not quite there yet though. XORG will still not run at 1024 X 768 at 16bit colour - something I know that the video card is capable of - without a manually created xorg.conf. Progress here indeed though.

eth0 is not setup automatically at boot time as happened with 2.20alpha. I wonder what has changed.

Apart from this, its looking very good. Nice lively fast crisp feel on this slow old Compaq 128MG ram 400MHz and very fast boot.

Congrats Barry!
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

wuwei

Themes and DSL connection

#11 Post by wuwei »

Started from CD then from CD and flash drive with 2.17 files on it. Both went fine.

Two bugs that I noticed:

JWM themes cannot be changed. It stays at default.
When I choose roaring penguin from the connect icon, set it up with my data, it will not run upon clicking on the start button.

Both items worked perfectly in 2.17.1

Sorry about the other post, need to find my way around here :lol:

Artie

#12 Post by Artie »

I have been playing with 3.00 beta a bit today and so far I have the following remarks:

Chooselocale Fetch doesn't work just get ERROR: Aborting

Pidgin not preconfigured for Puppy Chat and why have both Meebo and Pidgin?

I would love to have the Liberation Fonts pre-installed.

I would suggest you replace Xine with VLC 0.8.6 as the last one is much better in my opinion.

For some reason text size in SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups in the Message Display is bigger than everywhere else in SeaMonkey and have to be set to 90% every time I open it to get the same size as the letters here. Any idea how to set the font size permanently down will be very welcome...

Artie

veronicathecow

#13 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Barry, sadly I still can't get on line. The network Wizard does not show any network card (3C940) same as with the Alpha, perhaps it is the backgrounding?
Every Puppy for as long as I remember had no problem with this card.
Cheers
Tony

veronicathecow

#14 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Barry, also no sound (A7V600 motherboard (ADI AD1980 codec [SoundMAX])) which in PC Linux loads module snd-via82xx
Thanks

veronicathecow

#15 Post by veronicathecow »

Also CUPS, it allows me to select the printer but no test prints and it does not show any jobs waiting...

Henry

#16 Post by Henry »

I have tried both a pristine 3beta and an upgrade 3beta from 2.17.1

(2.17.1 has worked perfectly since it appeared. 2.20 was not close enough to seriously test.)

IGxine advised me to add the extra codecs package but could not.

zigbert wrote on Developer News:
Friday, September 14, 2007, 04:53 PM
Henry
Your request is already fixed in the latest PBdict and Pfind.

I don't see this working in 3beta, zigbert.

A detail - The link to the release notes in the help file is broken.

In the upgrade test -
Seamonkey (and Mail & News) and Abiword do not run, although it seems both Seamonkey 1.08 and 1.12 are installed. (Both Seamonkey and Abiword work in pristine 3beta.)

Yes, I understand it was advised not to upgrade, but that's the real and necessary test and it has not been a problem for me from 2.13 until 2.20.

So back to 2.17.1 for now.

Henry
Last edited by Henry on Mon 17 Sep 2007, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

Artie wrote:Chooselocale Fetch doesn't work just get ERROR: Aborting
Try it now. The PET package was not uploaded to ibiblio.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

Henry wrote:Gxine advised me to add the extra codecs package but could not.
Okay, I've uploaded the extra codecs package to ibiblio. Run Gxine from a terminal to see any error messages, also let me know if it still wants more codecs -- and what type of media file you're trying to play.

Henry

#19 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Barry,

No cause for alarm. I did install the now available codecs package. It said there was a dependency missing, xine.lib. (I need to install PSI to make it easier to look for this stuff ;-) It still says sipr.so or cook.so missing, but this happens when I try media/tv/bbc24. I have no interest in this, but it usually works as a test. Most of the BBC stuff is Real, which I generally avoid anyway. Once upon a time I had Real Player 10 installed, but it's a complication I don't need. Here's the response from the console:
# gxine
AFD changed from -2 to -1
xine-lib: error: Error loading library:: sipr.so
#
Henry

EDIT: I should have noted that Gxine _does_ play DVDs well, also works with Seamonkey for streaming radio mp3, aacplus, windows media, but of course not realplayer.
Last edited by Henry on Mon 17 Sep 2007, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

Seamonkey Mail GPG

#20 Post by Henry »

Had been hoping that this would get fixed in 3. Hope springs eternal!

With the pristine installation I added PSI and thence gnupg 4.7 followed by the Enigmail extension, which for the first time would not install, giving
"unexpected error - 201"

I guess the background of this problem is familiar. If necessary I can recite the strings.

Henry