Installer internet.. (Ethernet xircom)

Noxx

Installer internet.. (Ethernet xircom)

#1 Post by Noxx »

Hello :)

Tout d'abord je viens de migrer sous toutou linux, qui m'a l'air d'etre un escellent choix !!

Seul pb : la connexion internet.

En fait ma carte réseau est une Xircom ethernet

Lors de linstallation par le r&éseau, je charge les drivers xircom, une eth0 est détectée, configurer automatiquement le dhcp, et la "la configuration dhcp a échoué" au bout d'1 minute de recherche ...

---------------------------

With the network install, i load the Xircom drivers, an eth0 interface is detected, i clik on "DHCP configure", and after 30seconds, i can see "the DHCP configuration has failed"

Naaan , pas si près du but :(

Merci d'avance // Thank you.
Last edited by Noxx on Mon 10 Sep 2007, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

Excuser mon français, s'il vous plait. Quel est le modèle exact de la carte que vous avez ? En outre, êtes-vous certain que votre couteau soit installé pour employer DHCP ?
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Noxx

#3 Post by Noxx »

Hi !

Hmm, please can you tell me this sentance in pure english ? I appreciate the effort of translating, but unfortunately i can't understand it ^^

I speak english, so it'll be better in english ^^

Well, at least, thank you for trying to help me.

edit : My Card is a XIRCOM ethernet, sorry i don't know the exact model of this last one, i have damn small linux installed and internet works perfectly, maybe there is a way to know my card model in DSL, i dunnow how :(

But i'm pretty sure thos xircom drivers should works.. can't understand

SirDuncan

#4 Post by SirDuncan »

I was afraid that I wouldn't make any sense, sorry. I asked what the exact model of the card was and whether or not you are certain the router you are using is set up to handle DHCP.

If you were using a wireless card, I know a command that will tell you what chipset it is using, but I don't know a command that will work for an ethernet card.

Also, what version of Puppy is Toutou based on? If it is 2.17, there is a bug in DHCP and the Network Wizard. Fixes can be found at: <http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21177>

Again, I apologize for butchering your language.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Botanic

#5 Post by Botanic »

non c'était bien écrit, à part "couteau" (knife)
"butchering" indeed :)

SirDuncan

#6 Post by SirDuncan »

I'm afraid that I never learned the word for "router" in French class. I looked it up in a French-English dictionary, unfortunately it was not intended to translate computer terminology.

"Router" c'est quoi en francais?

Noxx

#7 Post by Noxx »

Hey :p

Something must be clear : you did'nt "butchered" my language, and i wish i could speak english as good as you speak french !

Fortunately, Toutou is based on 2.17 puppy ! I'm gonna try your fixex, thank you.

Edit: router = routeUr in french ^^ (almost the same)

Noxx

#8 Post by Noxx »

huh, i installed the fixes, but it stille does'nt work

--> the only change is that my Xircom ethernet model is automatticaly recognized, i clik on "eth0", then, test eth0 --> "Puppy was abble to find a network"

Then --> Auto DHCP configure
and "the DHCP autoconfiguration failed"

Can't understand :( (my Xircom leds blinks, so i suppose it's recognized)

SirDuncan

#9 Post by SirDuncan »

Then I suppose it comes back to the question, is your router set up for DHCP? I imagine that it is, but we should make sure before proceeding.

Also, what driver does it say you are using?

Noxx

#10 Post by Noxx »

I'm -almost- sure that my router is set up for DHCP, because the Debian sarge installer auto-configured it and made the internet connection possible.

The drivers are : xircom_cb

Thank you.

Edit : the auto internet configuration was also made by Damn Small linux and it perfectly works

SirDuncan

#11 Post by SirDuncan »

Wait, is this a wireless card? I had been assuming it was your built in ethernet, but some other people using that driving are doing so with wireless cards.

Noxx

#12 Post by Noxx »

No, it's not a wireless cart. It joins my gateway, downstairs, thx to an ethernet cable plugged in.

SirDuncan

#13 Post by SirDuncan »

Type these commands into the console and tell me what the output is.

Code: Select all

# ifconfig
# lsmod
The first letter of the second command is a lowercase "L" and not an uppercase "I". It is hard to tell with some fonts, so I thought I should clarify.

Also, run those same commands in DSL and post the output. Hopefully the difference between the two will tell us something.

EDIT: Another question, is your router a D-Link? While searching for a fix for your problem, I found information suggesting that some D-Link router models have a DHCP bug that affects Linux.

Noxx

#14 Post by Noxx »

Hello !

First, thanks for helping me.

Then, here are the photos : (i made photos; didn't wanna rewrite...)

TOUTOU LINUX

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/1 ... 172055.jpg

DSL

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/1 ... 172121.jpg

If you can't read smthg or you want more informations, just tell me.

Thanks.

SirDuncan

#15 Post by SirDuncan »

Those are very hard to read. In regular 2.17 there is a program that takes a screen snapshot. Under the start menu, go to graphics and then look for "mtpaint-snapshot screen capture".

You can also use apt-get in DSL to get a program called imagemagic.

Anyway, that method is unnecessary. If you highlight the text in the console, you can then open up a text editor and paste it inside. Then you can get on the forums and copy the output from the editor and paste it here. That would make things much easier to read. of course, since you can't get on the internet in Puppy, you would have to save the text file somewhere and then post it from DSL, or whatever you have been using to post here.

Also, did you check to see if your router is a D-Link?

Noxx

#16 Post by Noxx »

Hey

I just took another camera, now it's good :p

DSL

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/1 ... 190037.jpg

Toutou linux

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/1 ... 190737.jpg

but i still don't know if my router is a D link, how can i know that ?

SirDuncan

#17 Post by SirDuncan »

Try running this command before using the Network Wizard:

# modprobe xircom_cb
Then open up the network wizard and try again. That command should load the xircom_cb driver, which is not loaded according to the output of "lsmod".

D-Link is a brand name, so the router should prominently display the name on the its surface somewhere.

cherriepuppy

#18 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

the dsl photo shows that the driver being used is the xircom_tulip_cb. not the xircom_cb driver.

cherriepuppy

SirDuncan

#19 Post by SirDuncan »

the dsl photo shows that the driver being used is the xircom_tulip_cb. not the xircom_cb driver.[/quote]

You're correct. My faux pas. Both are loaded though, hmmm.

Noxx, run this command instead of what I said before:

# modprobe xircom_tulip_cb
Then use the network wizard as normal.

Noxx

#20 Post by Noxx »

hey

i tried, unfortunately nothing change :(

I think this is a DHCP problem, maybe i should try to manually configure my Static IP. Already tried some things, 192.168.0.3 as IP, 255.255.255.0 as Netmask, 192.168.0.1 as Gateway and DNS, when i load a site in Seamonkey, instead of showing me an error page immediatly, we can see that the computer is searching for the page, and after the error page is desplayed.