WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater (NOW WITH more SUPPORT)

Using applications, configuring, problems
John Doe

#61 Post by John Doe »

BarryK wrote:Does WakePup2 support frugal installs in a subdirectory?
not yet, but i'll look into getting it in there.
BarryK wrote:Does WakePup2 support frugal installs in a subdirectory?
But, WakePup really needs to do its search one-deep through all the directories in dos/fat partitions.
that's one way. i was thinking command line entry of the name might be better. will have a better idea after i read up on what's possible in dos.

Crash

#62 Post by Crash »

As a test, I modified a known good installation of Puppy 2.17 on a thumb drive by creating a "\p217" directory and moving the four files to it. Then I modified the Wakepup2 autoexec.bat file by editing the LINLD.COM line:

:load
LINLD.COM image=%drv%\p217\vmlinuz initrd=%drv%\p217\initrd.gz cl=@linld\puppy.lin

Puppy loaded up to a point and then said the following:

Looking for Puppy in sda1... done

ERROR, cannot find Puppy on 'usbflash' boot media.

Then it said a couple of other things (I remember the word "Guru", etc.) and dropped into the command prompt.

So from this, it looks like Wakepup2 at least gets out of DOS and into the Linux kernel load process. I look forward to repeating the test using V2.20 once it is in beta.

John Doe

#63 Post by John Doe »

jonyo wrote:Will a wake floppy boot a cf flash pcmcia adapter on an old win 98 lap with no usb ports?
my friend has a set up like that. it's an old ibm thinkpad. i tried and failed. added the menu option a few posts back in this thread but didn't think that the DOS drivers needed to be there.

tonight i did some research and dug them up:

http://www.mail-archive.com/arachne@ara ... 20538.html

the main problem is they are 1.22 megs extracted and won't fit on the floppy. perhaps some can be slimmed out or another option found.

btw, got the subdirectory thing worked out already. will post that soon (probably tomorrow afternoon) as i want to do some more testing and maybe get pcmcia going first.

John Doe

#64 Post by John Doe »

got the subdirectory thing worked out.

obviously i didn't get to this "tomorrow afternoon".

getting closer. have a pcmcia card to test with did the following:

-added subdirectory selection (cli entry, no gui) in autoexec.bat
-slimmed the cardwiz stuff down so it fits (experimental).
-added a menu for hardware selection in config.sys
-updated all FreeDOS binaries to v1.0
-got iomega zip and adaptec cd drivers out of pupwake. not sure if puppy still supports these methods, but figure i'd throw them in incase it does.
-removed all A:\ references in config.sys and made the paths relative rather than absolute because i read somewhere about this allowing the image to work from USB if BIOS supports USB and floppy image is copied to USB. tested and floppy boot still works ok like that.
-experimented with NTFS support using sysinternal NTFSDos. i recall it worked with MSDos, but I can't get it to work with FreeDOS. will tinker more. lines 90-92 of config.sys relate to this. the drivers are in there.

stuck reading (the following link) right now, trying to get himem to work (or not) on all systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_memory

himem is needed for emm386 which is needed for the cardwiz package but himem crashes higher boards. i'm trying to find the best way to implement it.

been messing with /METHOD to try and find a "sweet spot" to allow himem to work on old and new HW.

more soon...

let me know how this copy works for everyone.

i'll post how far i got here for now and update the other thread when some more progress is made.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 924#122924
Last edited by John Doe on Fri 14 Sep 2007, 04:51, edited 2 times in total.

Crash

#65 Post by Crash »

Boy, you did a lot of work on the config.sys file! This version has some bugs, but has great promise.

I used option 1 on both the first and second menus to boot Puppy 2.20 Alpha on a USB stick. There are some error messages in Wakepup2, looking like it is trying to execute some comment lines. I haven't taken a good look at the code to see what's going on, but it should be pretty easy to correct. But the boot worked OK.

I then moved the Puppy files to a subdirectory, "\puppy220", and modified the LINLD line like this:

:load
LINLD.COM image=%drv%\puppy220\vmlinuz initrd=%drv%\puppy220\initrd.gz cl=@linld\puppy.lin

Puppy booted up OK this way. It is the first time I have been able to boot Puppy in a subdirectory.

I couldn't get the Ethernet driver to load, so I made a copy of zdrv_220.sfs in the root directory and re-booted. Then the Network Wizard worked and I could connect to the Internet. That is the only major bug to work out, although by the time I make this post, that has probably already been addressed.

With the unmodified version, I tried some of the other Wakepup options, and got into the dialog where I enter the subdirectory explicitly, but I haven't gotten that to work yet. I'm sure that the bugs can be worked out though, and this should be a fine enhancement to the program.

I am making this post with the configuration I just described. There is no hard drive active on the system at present, just the USB stick and floppy. It definitely works.

jonyo

#66 Post by jonyo »

Hmm.. missed this note up to now. Thx for the info. When you say "my friend has a set up like that" does that mean with pup?
John Doe wrote:
jonyo wrote:Will a wake floppy boot a cf flash pcmcia adapter on an old win 98 lap with no usb ports?
my friend has a set up like that. it's an old ibm thinkpad. i tried and failed. added the menu option a few posts back in this thread but didn't think that the DOS drivers needed to be there.

tonight i did some research and dug them up:

http://www.mail-archive.com/arachne@ara ... 20538.html

the main problem is they are 1.22 megs extracted and won't fit on the floppy. perhaps some can be slimmed out or another option found.

btw, got the subdirectory thing worked out already. will post that soon (probably tomorrow afternoon) as i want to do some more testing and maybe get pcmcia going first.

John Doe

#67 Post by John Doe »

jonyo wrote:Hmm.. missed this note up to now. Thx for the info. When you say "my friend has a set up like that" does that mean with pup?
yes he has puppy.

i just borrowed the pcmcia card back so i can do some testing.

Crash

#68 Post by Crash »

I turned all the semi-colons (";") to "rem" and that got rid of the complaints about the comment lines.

I commented out the line:

goto try_ide

which is just before :setSubDirectory

This makes it always ask the question about having Puppy in a subdirectory. It now boots Puppy fine in the subdirectory.

I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but it confirms that the idea works well.

jonyo

#69 Post by jonyo »

Ok, I need to buy a cf flash card to try that out with the pcmcia adapter, but I also already have an actual standalone pcmcia flash card ~ 2 gigs (I think..could be 200 megs) that I could try out right now, I just need to figure out how to setup pup in it. Is it just a matter of copying pup OS files to it? Like the ones on a live cd ready to run?

Laps I can try out are an ibm 380 ed p166mmx, 80 meg ram, 160 swap partition that already runs pup98 & 2.17 live cd with a wake floppy, save file to HD. The other lap is a compaq presario 1220 200mmx cyrix with a similar setup but doesn't need a wake floppy to boot a live cd.

Pcmcia slots are type I 16 bit 5 volt..least on the ibm. Not sure what they are on the compaq other than the compaq site sez 1 type II or 1 type III. I think mine has both but trying to find out the bits (16 0r 32) & volts in case any of it matters.

John Doe wrote:
jonyo wrote:Hmm.. missed this note up to now. Thx for the info. When you say "my friend has a set up like that" does that mean with pup?
yes he has puppy.

i just borrowed the pcmcia card back so i can do some testing.

NEMONAVICUSRINO

#70 Post by NEMONAVICUSRINO »

hi guys... maybe is not best place to post... i'm new bie to linux and i have a problem... i have a laptop ibm thinkpad 390e, (PII@300mhz) it has cd ( bootable :) !) Floppy , but no hdd & only 64 mb of ram i tryed live cd...knopix, pclinux & others...but it not works very fine... It works very fine with dsl...& booting very fast with puppy, but after boting it works veri slow...cd is almost permanently rotating, respons is very late...
My problem is...i have an 80 gig external hdd... & an pcmcia to usb adapter...& i want to instal an operating sistem to this hdd for this laptop....Windos is very dificult...maybe imposible and i don't know too much for programing to boot from diskete and start pcmcia and finaly usb hdd in cardbus adapter... i tried with succes to boot with slackware (10.1) and see hard disk in pcmcia card bus adapter...partitioned & instal base sistem for probs...but unfortunately...even if i make flopyy boot don't work...he give me error...kernel panic unable mount root fs on /dev/sda///probably it mut to see first time pcmcia cardbus, usb garddik on it and after that mount partition... i have find pupy & i view a boot option usbcard...& i tried this option...but nothing happened...
my ask is... how can i make a instalation to work & boot from this external hdd ? any hlp will great apreciated...
sorry for my english, i don't speak fluent :(
Sorin

tommy

Wonderful Wakepup2

#71 Post by tommy »

Hi everybody.
I'm here just to say that Wakepup2 image posted on 9 september 2007 works with my USB pendrive.
I bought a Trekstore 1GB USB pen last week and installed Puppy 2.16 in it using the Universal Installer wizard. Then I created a wakepup floppy from the wizard, but it didn't boot Puppy. It said 'no target usb device found', whatever PC I used (old IBM 300gl pentium II 400 MHz, and an Intel AL440LX with Celeron 500MHZ, both without BIOS capability of booting from USB).

Better results using a DOS bootdisk with DUSE usb driver: after booting, I swapped it with the Wakepup floppy and typed 'autoexec' at the prompt. It booted the first steps of Puppy till it stopped with a kernel panic: not syncing (VFS) unable to mount root filesistem on unknown block (3,7).
I thought it would be hard to make my PuppyUsb key booting, but yesterday I found this forum about the new Wakepup2 bootdisk. It's a wonderful piece of Dos batch program! Very nice menu. It booted Puppy with option 1 (no need to use the option n.5 even if I have only usb 1.0 ports). I found USB 1.0 to be as fast in reading as 52x CD-ROM, maybe because of spin up time of the CD is waaaay longer than the flash access. I wonder what it would be in an USB 2.0 port.

Thanks Jon Doe...
I suggest Barry K. to put the latest Wakepup2 image on its future Puppy isos, if not already done.

Have a nice Puppy day!

jonyo

#72 Post by jonyo »

Do you have a direct usb port (s) on the lap (1.1 or 2)?

NEMONAVICUSRINO wrote:hi guys... maybe is not best place to post... i'm new bie to linux and i have a problem... i have a laptop ibm thinkpad 390e, (PII@300mhz) it has cd ( bootable :) !) Floppy , but no hdd & only 64 mb of ram i tryed live cd...knopix, pclinux & others...but it not works very fine... It works very fine with dsl...& booting very fast with puppy, but after boting it works veri slow...cd is almost permanently rotating, respons is very late...
My problem is...i have an 80 gig external hdd... & an pcmcia to usb adapter...& i want to instal an operating sistem to this hdd for this laptop....Windos is very dificult...maybe imposible and i don't know too much for programing to boot from diskete and start pcmcia and finaly usb hdd in cardbus adapter... i tried with succes to boot with slackware (10.1) and see hard disk in pcmcia card bus adapter...partitioned & instal base sistem for probs...but unfortunately...even if i make flopyy boot don't work...he give me error...kernel panic unable mount root fs on /dev/sda///probably it mut to see first time pcmcia cardbus, usb garddik on it and after that mount partition... i have find pupy & i view a boot option usbcard...& i tried this option...but nothing happened...
my ask is... how can i make a instalation to work & boot from this external hdd ? any hlp will great apreciated...
sorry for my english, i don't speak fluent :(
Sorin
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 12 Sep 2007, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

NEMONAVICUSRINO

#73 Post by NEMONAVICUSRINO »

yes i have a single usb 1.1 ports on this laptop...

jonyo

#74 Post by jonyo »

Try running live cd & at the end chose save file to a usb flash mem stick in that port. Not sure if flash mem is ok to use as a swap partition but if it is, you'd want to make one at ~ 2 times size of the ram mem that u have. Gparted in pup could do that.

I think a frugal install would be even better but someone else'll have to chime in..I've not tried that out yet but think it involves putting (copying) all the main files form a live cd disk onto the usb stick.

Idea is though to use that usb port with a flash mem stick as a HD, try stuff & go from there.
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 12 Sep 2007, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

Re: Wonderful Wakepup2

#75 Post by jonyo »

Nice job! & thx for the info. :)
tommy wrote:Hi everybody.
I'm here just to say that Wakepup2 image posted on 9 september 2007 works with my USB pendrive.
I bought a Trekstore 1GB USB pen last week and installed Puppy 2.16 in it using the Universal Installer wizard. Then I created a wakepup floppy from the wizard, but it didn't boot Puppy. It said 'no target usb device found', whatever PC I used (old IBM 300gl pentium II 400 MHz, and an Intel AL440LX with Celeron 500MHZ, both without BIOS capability of booting from USB).

Better results using a DOS bootdisk with DUSE usb driver: after booting, I swapped it with the Wakepup floppy and typed 'autoexec' at the prompt. It booted the first steps of Puppy till it stopped with a kernel panic: not syncing (VFS) unable to mount root filesistem on unknown block (3,7).
I thought it would be hard to make my PuppyUsb key booting, but yesterday I found this forum about the new Wakepup2 bootdisk. It's a wonderful piece of Dos batch program! Very nice menu. It booted Puppy with option 1 (no need to use the option n.5 even if I have only usb 1.0 ports). I found USB 1.0 to be as fast in reading as 52x CD-ROM, maybe because of spin up time of the CD is waaaay longer than the flash access. I wonder what it would be in an USB 2.0 port.

Thanks Jon Doe...
I suggest Barry K. to put the latest Wakepup2 image on its future Puppy isos, if not already done.

Have a nice Puppy day!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#76 Post by BarryK »

John Doe, Jonyo, Crash,
Has it reached a point where it can be put into pup 3.00beta? If any more mods, could you post here and I'll grab it. I plan to upload the beta on 16th but want to get it ready and do some testing a couple of days prior.

jonyo

#77 Post by jonyo »

If I understand correctly, that''d mean.. -WakePup2 for Puppy 2.x and greater(NOW WITH USB 1.1 SUPPORT) and also 2?
Sit Heel Speak wrote:Nothing to see here folks, it Just Works(tm). Booting 2.17.1 on usb flash key (keypresses 6-4-1) through both a usb 1.1 and a usb 2.0 port.

Crash

#78 Post by Crash »

This version looks good to me. I've used it to boot to USB stick and hard drive no problems. I found out my cockpit problem in trying to boot V2.20 Alpha in a subdirectory - you have to move the USBFLASH marker file to the subdirectory too. Then Wakepup2 drops you to the subdirectory menu OK. This post is from USB stick with Puppy 2.20 Alpha in the subdirectory using the latest Wakepup2 version.

My only concern is that the utility NTFSDOS.EXE is on the floppy image. This is the Sysinternals product that was bought by Microsoft, and I don't know the licensing implications.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

Crash wrote:My only concern is that the utility NTFSDOS.EXE is on the floppy image. This is the Sysinternals product that was bought by Microsoft, and I don't know the licensing implications.
Sh, sh! We can just keep quiet about it. The worst they could do would be to tell us to take it out? ..or could they fine us? Perhaps we do need to find some kind of licence statement about it, something prior to when MS bought the company.

Side note: I'm really worried about MS buying into everything. It's getting difficult to find companies that are not compromised.

jonyo

#80 Post by jonyo »

I'm quite sure that if it matters to Bill one way or another that he'll chime in here. Good bet he'll look the other way cos after all, he's a big fan of pup. :D