MEPIS anti-X b2

News, happenings
Sage

MEPIS anti-X b2

#1 Post by Sage »

If you haven't tried the latest version of this one, designed for older HW, worth looking at the new beta2. Although it has some very rough edges, more like a pre-alpha Puppy, it contains some impressive stuff, albeit in 300Mb .iso. The first buffer you'll hit is that the developer has forgotten to switch the root/root login back on, so you'll need to use demo/demo. Setting up static IP is a bit hit&miss, still. Apparently, the message that half the UK has been given static rather than DHCP isn't getting through to developers. Seems there may be more than one version of the b2?? Transparency and the promise of some fancy 3D may appeal in some quarters but the basic package is interesting despite pandering to the go-faster kiddies. A serious alternative to the impressive Wolvix.
Read the brief on DW.

The ever increasing size of Puppy with all sorts of deference to latest HW, laptops, 3D, etc is the wrong way to go in my view. If it gets much bigger it will have to compete with several newkidsontheblock which are already ahead in the game. Better to focus on what it does best and keep it small, fast and simple. ....errr, that'll be with Opera.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Customers machine Gigabyte............ with Sata 2 connections "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 209#139209

" Now trying Mepis antiX M7 Beta2 on IDE LG DVD Writer

( Barry please never change the way we don't have to login to Puppy )

....demo...demo to login.............
irritating as it did not match what it said at Bootup

but at least I can see my two partitions in Mepis as
Drives C:\ SDA1
Drive D:\ SDA5

and can read / write to them....hooray. "

Sage:
" The first buffer you'll hit is "
Yes! an unforgiveable mistake.....why people stay with Windows.
Searched for ages for hints of wisdom.

Now convinced that my negative cogitative processes were due to our Sydney smog being spread further into the suburbs by APEC helicopters.

I also hope this issue of Puppy being unable to see Sata 2 drives is addressedsoonest.

Regards ................Chris

/////////////////////////
Edit:
Forgot to mention that I connected to the Internet without having to set anything up.
In terms of speed compared to Puppy....
including Puppy 2.20 pre alpha,which is the slowest ,
this is not even close.