Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 10:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
HSF/HCF softmodem dotpups available for testing
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4

Has any of these drivers worked for anyone?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Still Trying
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

New Puppy Fan

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep 2005, 01:39    Post subject:  

Thanks, jcoder for advice concerning 2.6.x kernel. It was me as a Guest. I definitely wont stick to HCF modem and will try to find more "Linux friendly" . Do you know the types of modems which work flawlessly with Puppy?
Thank you.

jcoder24

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep 2005, 21:09    Post subject:  

External serial modems are preferred and almost guaranteed to work. Failing that you can prob. try a hardware/controller based internal modem. Note however that some retail outlets may try to pass off a winmodem as being a hardware modem.
jcoder24

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2005, 22:36    Post subject:  

Keys to knowing if the modem you are purchasing is a winmodem is looking for one of the following keywords: softmodem, winmodem, Windows-only, controlless, HSF, HCF.

Another indication is the number of components (esp. chips on the modem) the fewer the components the more likely it is to be a winmodem.

The only sure way of knowing is to do some research on the particular modem you are thinking of buying, including getting reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com). You could also get a find out what hardware based modems others find to work and chose one?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2005, 23:19    Post subject:  

Definitely start by looking for hardware that has been proven to work with the Linux distro you choose.

I bought a PCI card modem which said on the box that it would work with Linux; a US Robotics 5610B, if I remember right. It worked fine in Windows, although not as well as the Winmodem that came with the computer, but I was never able to get it to work in Mandrake Linux. Someone who knew more than I did about Linux tinkered around and got online with it one time, but then said he couldn't remember what he did that got it to work.

The problem seemed to be that every Linux distro I tried assumed that all internal modems are Winmodems. That was a few years ago. Maybe things have improved. I wouldn't know because a few years ago I got an (internal) cable modem, a Zoom 5001, which works fine with every OS I've tried, no configuration required, so I just forgot about the dial-up modem.

Dial-up is the legacy connection to the internet. I'll never understand why it works so poorly in Linux when Linux has no problem with newer, high speed technologies.
jcoder24

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 17:26    Post subject:  

New Puppy Fan wrote:
Thanks, jcoder for advice concerning 2.6.x kernel. It was me as a Guest. I definitely wont stick to HCF modem and will try to find more "Linux friendly" . Do you know the types of modems which work flawlessly with Puppy?
Thank you.

See http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/ModemPageWorking for a list of working modems, not sure which kernel version they work with.
Page 4 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: