Dlink DWL650 Wifi driver loads, but can't connect

HaroldHallikainen

Dlink DWL650 Wifi driver loads, but can't connect

#1 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

I just set up a Sony Vaio notebook on Puppy Linux. Very impressive! I'm using a dLink DWL650 (I think that's the number) wireless card, which Puppy Linux recognizes properly. During bootup, I see it the card getting initialized, and the LED on the card goes on steady, just as it does when there is a connection. It then says it's getting an address using DHCP, and says it succeeded. However, once everything is booted up, the browser cannot find anything. Also, there was a little "modem thingee" along the task bar at the bottom of the screen. It showed quite a bit of data going out, but zero bytes coming in. I managed to close the modem thingee, and now can't find it again. But, anyway, I'm continuing to have problems, apparently with DHCP.

Any hints on getting this running would be appreciated!

THANKS!

Harold

iang

#2 Post by iang »

You don't say which version you are using. If 2.17.1, there have been changes with some wireless drivers & DHCP from the network wizard doesn't always work.

Try connecting via the Rutilt utility instead of the network wizard.

This fixed the problem I had with the DWL-122G USB adpater.

HaroldHallikainen

#3 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

Thanks for the response! When running network/RutilT, I get "Critical error: Can't get scan results: code 61".

I'm running version 2.17. released August 2007 (according to Help).

I wonder if I can mess with the startup script (wherever it is) and run various different commands to get it to run properly.

THANKS!

Harold

iang

#4 Post by iang »

It might be worth posting the output of iwconfig and ifconfig here. I'm not sure what the -650 is - is it a pcmcia card or USB adapter?

Go into console mode and type iwconfig. If the driver loaded correctly, it should appear as ra0 or rausb0 or similar.

If you can see something, type: ifconfig ra0 up (or rausb0, whatever it shows up as)

Then type: rutilt

See what happens then. If you leave the console open, you see what's going on when rutilt is running & it may give a clue. If it is working, you should be able to scan for networks & connect.

I think the August version is 2.17.1, but check your original download file as it contains a number of improved wireless drivers over 2.17.

Edited to add this http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 60&t=21101 as it's the thread with my original post request for help and the solution.

Dougal

#5 Post by Dougal »

Tempestuous posted today (yesterday?) the latest version of the Network Wizard along with an updated dhcpcd -- best try those and see if it works better.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

HaroldHallikainen

#6 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

Great! Where is it posted?

THANKS!

Harold

Dougal

#7 Post by Dougal »

Do I really need to be the one searching the forum?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21177
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

HaroldHallikainen

#8 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

THANKS for all the help (and doing the forum search). I've gotten the DWL-650 to connect to the WEBP encrypted network sometimes, but most times it does not. Looking at /var/log/messages, and comparing between a successful boot startup of the card and the nonsuccessful start, I see the unsuccesful one has this line:

user.err kernel: hermes @ 00010100: Timeout waiting for command 0x0002 completion.

This happens most of the time, but ocasionally it works properly and dhcpd starts.

So, any ideas before I move on to ndiswrapper?

THANKS!

Harold

HaroldHallikainen

#9 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

I went ahead and tried NDIS wrapper with a more recent DWL-650 (V.M1). I used the driver for pciid: 10ec:8180 (ftp://ftp.targetgroup.it/digicom/comuni ... C__WIN.zip). Both the network wizard and RutilT properly scan and find networks, but, on both of them, when I tell them to connect to a network, the system freezes.

Any more ideas? I'll keep banging on the system.

Thanks!

Harold

HaroldHallikainen

#10 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

In my continuing effort to get my wife's Sony notebook to reliably connect to our wireless network, I last night installed orinoco0.13e16-k2.6.21.5.pet . So far, so good! Several reboots have properly brought up the network.

THANKS!

Harold

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

Your older DWL650 either has an Orinoco or Prism2 chipset. If WEP encryption fails, it would be worth unloading the orinoco_cs module and trying the hostap_cs module instead.
HaroldHallikainen wrote:(V.M1). I used the driver for pciid: 10ec:8180
Your "M1" version shows the device ID for a Realtek RTL8180 chipset
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/iii/?i=10ec8180

Puppy 2.17 does not contain a native Linux driver for the Realtek wifi chipsets.
But kirk has just worked out how to compile this driver for 2.17's kernel, now available here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21442
(get the binary)

HaroldHallikainen

#12 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

Thanks! I'll give that a try. Meanwhile, the old DWL-650 (D-Link identifies it as DWL-650 Revisions A1-J3 on their website. I can't read the label on the bottom of the card, as it's too scratched) seems to be working with the new driver you supplied. I'll try both, though.

THANKS!

Harold

HaroldHallikainen

#13 Post by HaroldHallikainen »

Trying the new Realtek driver with the M1 version of the DWL-650 behaves the same as when I tried it under nidswrapper. It found the local networks, but when I started DHCP, the machine crashed. So, I'm back on the A1-J3 version, which the bootup code finds on the pcmcia. SOMETIMES it works perfectly. It may do that for a half dozen boots, then it won't work at all. The trouble seems to start with the Timeout message in the log below.

Also, when it fails, blinky either does not show up at all, or shows up, but shows data transmitted, but none received.

Ideas? Should i just buy another pcmcia wifi card?

THANKS!

Harold

ep 2 12:01:24 (none) user.info kernel: eth0: New link status: Disconnected (0002)
Sep 2 12:01:24 (none) user.info kernel: eth0: New link status: Connected (0001)
Sep 2 12:01:34 (none) user.err kernel: hermes @ 00010100: Timeout
waiting for command 0x0002 completion.
Sep 2 12:01:34 (none) user.warn kernel: eth0: Error -110 disabling MAC port
Sep 2 12:01:35 (none) user.warn kernel: Clocksource tsc unstable (delta
= 209974310 ns)
Sep 2 12:01:35 (none) user.info kernel: Time: pit clocksource has been installed.
Sep 2 12:01:44 (none) local0.info dhcpcd[2028]: eth0: dhcpcd 3.1.4 starting
Sep 2 12:01:44 (none) user.err kernel: eth0: Error -5 setting OWNSSID
Sep 2 12:01:44 (none) user.err kernel: eth0: Error -5 configuring card
Sep 2 12:01:44 (none) local0.err dhcpcd[2028]: eth0: ioctl
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Input/output error