Orinoco Classic Gold Wifi in Puppy 2.13

AndrewD

Orinoco Classic Gold Wifi in Puppy 2.13

#1 Post by AndrewD »

Hi all,

I know this is basic stuff but I can't find the forum entry that matches my problem. All help appreciated.

Setup: Packard Bell EasyNote+, 160Mb RAM, 6GiB HD, Orinoco Classic Gold 802.11b PC Card, Puppy Linux 2.13 Frugal install.

PC Card details: P/N 026258/A, also identified as Agere Systems PC24E-11-FC/R

I specifically bought the card on eBay because it seemed to have a great reputation with Linux, and being a basic model with only 802.11b ought to have solid support. I didn't think to check the specific part number, it's not listed on http://linux-wless.passys.nl/ but PC24-?-ET is listed and seems to have full support from the orinoco_cs driver.

My symptoms are that the card is recognised on boot, I get the message

Loading kernel modules...cardmgr[1676]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE adapter.

So far so good, but no driver modules are loaded, neither of the LEDs on the card come on. The Puppy Network Wizard auto probe fails, orinoco_cs also fails to load if called specifically.

Interestingly, Puppy booted from the CD (same version) seems to try to load orinoco_cs after cardmgr (frugal install doesn't try) but still fails. I wish I could send you the messages but I can't remember where they are logged. Same symptom from inside Network wizard on the CD boot.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, AndrewD

AndrewD

Odd - it's intermittent - timing issue?

#2 Post by AndrewD »

This is a weird one. All I have done overnight is boot Knoppix 5.0 to prove that another distro can bring up the adapter - which it did faultlessly.

I also have a standard hard disk Puppy install (still 2.13 from the same original CD) and when I booted that up the message was

Loading Kernel modules....cardmgr[1503]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter

No further messages, but when I went to Network Wizard, orinoco_cs was already loaded, I just configured eth0 and everything works fine. The adapter has continued working across multiple boots.

Then, I tried the Puppy CD again, and that worked too! But I tried it again and it failed.

For the record, the CD message when it works is
Loading Kernel modules....cardmgr[2662]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter

But during the CD boot I have also seen
Loading Kernel modules....cardmgr[2664]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
Followed by some fatal errors, cannot find orinoco_cs etc.

To date, I have not been able to get the frugal install to work at all - still the 1676 message from cardmgr. I would like to solve this as frugal is my preferred method of running Puppy.

cygnus

#3 Post by cygnus »

I have an old ThinkPad that's running Puppy and I'm having a similar problem with 2.13. I have 2.12 on it now (full HD install, but the live CD is the same) that recognizes the onboard wireless as orinoco_cs and loads the module properly. When I boot into 2.13, it fails loading the orinoco_cs module. When I go through the network wizard, it does the same thing. Something between 2.12 and 2.13 broke the orinoco_cs driver. I really want to upgrade to 2.13, but as of now I can't.

This should probably be posted in the Bugs forum, too.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

SirDuncan

#4 Post by SirDuncan »

I had a similiar problem with the orinoco driver on a custom build of 2.13 running from CD with the user file on a flash drive. I tried running the CD without any saved sessions and found it still did not work. I assumed that I broke something when I made the custom pup since it works fine with my full HD install of regular 2.13 on this IBM T40 that I am posting with now. Given that you are having the problem with a base install, I guess it must not just be my custom pup. I have yet to have trouble with this card on a regular install and never had any type of trouble with 2.12 custom or regular. Just for reference, mine is a SMC EZ-Connect something or other. I can't look at it just this second because it is in my laptop.

The only thing I can think of (other than something being broken with 2.13) is that something we installed screwed up something else. The list of changes I mad with my custom pup is extensive, but the major programs added were VLC, Opera, GQview, SDL libraries, QT libraries, and I think that's about it. Let's see if there is anything that we all changed.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the "enhanced" version of the orinoco driver, which adds monitor mode support and scanning support. It's from -
http://www.projectiwear.org/~plasmahh/orinoco.html
After installing this module, REBOOT. Because the old version might still be loaded in RAM.

EDIT: REGARDING WEP
The Orinoco chipset supports WEP encryption, but different devices were released with/without this feature, depending on their firmware.
Generally, the standard models do not support WEP, the "silver" models support 64bit WEP, and the "gold" models support 64bit/128bit WEP.

But the only difference is the firmware. If you are brave enought (!) to flash your firmware, it's possible to upgrade any Orinoco model with the latest WEP-compatible firmware. Instructions and firmware are here -
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html
Apparently firmware version 7.52 is considered the most stable and useable.
But if you want to try the very latest version 8.72, it's available as a Windows installer here -
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2 ... 0_v872.zip

A similar situation applies with the Prism2x chipsets. Upgraded Prism2 firmware is here -
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/
... but you should not use the orinoco driver with Prism2 devices. The hostap driver will work better with these devices.
Attachments
orinoco-0.13eSN15-k2.6.18.1.pup
for Puppy v2.12 - 2.16
(42.71 KiB) Downloaded 802 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Tue 04 Sep 2007, 02:34, edited 4 times in total.

tempestuous

#6 Post by tempestuous »

And here is the latest enhanced Orinoco driver package, compatible with Puppy 2.17 ONLY.
Attachments
orinoco0.13e16-k2.6.21.5.pet
for Puppy 2.17 ONLY
(37.25 KiB) Downloaded 783 times
Last edited by tempestuous on Wed 21 May 2008, 02:55, edited 2 times in total.

SirDuncan

#7 Post by SirDuncan »

It seems you're always looking out for me, Tempestuous. It's always good to have the latest drivers.

I should note, for those just coming to this thread, that by 2.17 the problem we were having above appears to be remedied.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

vito

orinoco flow

#8 Post by vito »

Dear All:

tried the newly posted driver "orinoco", and it appears to be a step in the right direction. The puppy 217 wifi setup now is able to see the access point wep encrypted network , whereas before with the older module orinoco_cs, it did not.

However, Even the new driver orinoco13 still cannot connect with the access point router server.

I am thinking of getting an airplus of d-link wifi card as a replacement to my orinoco.

Thx All ,
Vito

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

Update September 4 2007
WEP encryption commonly fails with orinoco-based wifi devices. This is almost certainly due to firmware, as now explained in earlier post -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2709#92709

jonyo

Re: Orinoco Classic Gold Wifi in Puppy 2.13

#10 Post by jonyo »

AndrewD wrote:So far so good, but no driver modules are loaded, neither of the LEDs on the card come on. The Puppy Network Wizard auto probe fails, orinoco_cs also fails to load if called specifically.

Interestingly, Puppy booted from the CD (same version) seems to try to load orinoco_cs after cardmgr (frugal install doesn't try) but still fails. I wish I could send you the messages but I can't remember where they are logged. Same symptom from inside Network wizard on the CD boot.
Just sorted out a wifi (loong story..link below) connection (netgear ma401ra though..) using the orinoco_cs driver in 2.17 live cd (& pup98) & was having similar probs, with the driver auto loading sometimes on boot, other times not at all even manually. Tried a few variants all in ram running live cd & suspected that was causing a prob.

At any rate, from a prior search, someone said what worked to sort it out was popping the pcmcia card in after booting up (not sure what type install..i'd hafta check) so tried it out & at least in 2.17 live cd save file to HD, orinoco_cs auto loads that way & got it working, but not with wep. Bottom line also was having wep 64 on was causing all sorta probs..Soon as I turned it off BOOM..wifi good to go. :)

loong.. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 359#137359

jonyo

Re: Odd - it's intermittent - timing issue?

#11 Post by jonyo »

Very strange..sometimes loads, sometimes doesn't..sometimes works..
Anyone know what's up?

Did it (or anyone get it to) work with (or did you try) wep ?

At any rate, wonder why it works a-1 on one boot & then craps out the next boot.. :?
AndrewD wrote:This is a weird one. All I have done overnight is boot Knoppix 5.0 to prove that another distro can bring up the adapter - which it did faultlessly.

I also have a standard hard disk Puppy install (still 2.13 from the same original CD) and when I booted that up the message was

Loading Kernel modules....cardmgr[1503]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter

No further messages, but when I went to Network Wizard, orinoco_cs was already loaded, I just configured eth0 and everything works fine. The adapter has continued working across multiple boots.

Then, I tried the Puppy CD again, and that worked too! But I tried it again and it failed.

For the record, the CD message when it works is
Loading Kernel modules....cardmgr[2662]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter

But during the CD boot I have also seen
Loading Kernel modules....cardmgr[2664]: socket1: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
Followed by some fatal errors, cannot find orinoco_cs etc.

To date, I have not been able to get the frugal install to work at all - still the 1676 message from cardmgr. I would like to solve this as frugal is my preferred method of running Puppy.

jonyo

Re: Orinoco Classic Gold Wifi in Puppy 2.13

#12 Post by jonyo »

Might try a few other vers of pup & prob may go away.
AndrewD wrote:

Any ideas please?

Thanks, AndrewD