Puppy 2.20alpha - eth0 driver not loaded

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Puppy 2.20alpha - eth0 driver not loaded

#1 Post by tronkel »

Just had a go with 2.20alpha using puppy pfix=ram

Ethernet wizard GUI does not show any driver as loaded, hence no live eth0 interface.

Neither auto-detect nor manual loading of the eepro100 driver will work. Message comes up saying driver failed to load. Works fine using a pup_save from 2.17.1

So might be something to do with the altered zdrv setup. No zdrv_220.sfs has been saved to the home drive hda1, but I think that is intentional with the new system as far as I understand.

The new start-up script is fast on this PC here, a pre-2000 400MHz Compaq Deskpro.

Will submit more probs when/if I find them.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

I had the same problem with the driver. It also occurs with my wireless card, so no internet in 2.20 for now. Others seem to have been able to connect, so it must be certain drivers only.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

toronto

#3 Post by toronto »

tried puppy 2.20alpha using puppy pfix=ram on my laptop a compaq pressario and an older packard bell desktop, on both machines couldn't get ethernet wizard to work. previously had no similar problems with puppy 2.16 2.17 and pizzapup 3.0

gray

network driver not loaded

#4 Post by gray »

Tried 2.20 from CD.

During boot up I get a switch_root failed message and then a 60 second pause after which puppy continued with the boot.

When I tried the network wizard it did not detect my eth0 NIC, a via_rhine card. Tried to load the driver manually but it failed also.

All previous puppies have worked. Whats up doc ?

faughanvale

Puppy 2.20alpha -eth0 driver not loaded

#5 Post by faughanvale »

On a Dimension 4100 with Linksys NC100 --- no joy with either Network Wizard or manually. This has worked on versions 108 through 214.
and ...
On a Thinkpad 600 with Netgear WG511T and ndiswrapper --- no joy.
This has worked 108 through 217.

Thank you Barry, et al. for many months of enjoyment.

eriefisher

Re: network driver not loaded

#6 Post by eriefisher »

gray wrote:Tried 2.20 from CD.

During boot up I get a switch_root failed message and then a 60 second pause after which puppy continued with the boot.
I got the same message?

However this was the first Puppy to detect eth0(wireless) on my laptop out of the box and only the second Linux distro. The other was Mepis7. It uses a broadcom chip and it's very fussy.

eriefisher

vern72023

#7 Post by vern72023 »

2 problems so far >
First

Second the eth0 setup has to be reset on every boot
I see the following errors in the log

dhcpcd: relocation error: /lib/libpthread.so.0: symbol errno, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
Error initializing interface eth0.!

The error about GLIBC_PRIVATE occurs multiple times within the bootsysinit.log
relating to various modules

George
george

kjoe

#8 Post by kjoe »

I also have troubles with the driver for eth0 in puppy 2.20-alpha, which neither gets loaded automatically nor can be loaded manually.

I do not know the hardware, but in prior puppy versions (2.16/2.17.1) the via_rhine module automatically was chosen and loaded correctly.

If there is anything I can I do for testing purposes, just let me know.

kjoe

vern72023

#9 Post by vern72023 »

okay - I think I have fixed my problem with the errors regarding GLIBC I was getting
I had a wine939.sfs that i put together with an earlier distro.
So i redid that sfs file by removing the lib folder that I had in there, then re-running the ldconfig so that I now use the updated libs
That also fixed the problem I had with the eth0 needing to be reset each boot

I use wbar as well and I have not got that working yet but apart from that anf the annoying 60sec pause on boot up the rest of the stuff I use is looking good
George
george

Alienx

#10 Post by Alienx »

I was without sound and network when testing 2.20 alpha from live cd

then I installed new puppy alpha to an usb pen drive, booted from there and all started working :roll:
Sorry, broken english above :-)

Alienx

#11 Post by Alienx »

when I was booting from live cd I saw that the kernel module of my eth0 wasnt in /lib/modules

I copyed all the kernel modules from the last stable puppy with files module.dep and module.alias, did modprobe 8139too and the network wizard worked and I get connected too
Sorry, broken english above :-)

tazoc

workaround for eth0 and sound

#12 Post by tazoc »

Alienx,
Thank you! I had no eth0 drivers loaded (eepro100) in 2.20 alpha frugal install and your suggestion worked for me. In addition I had no sound (snd_via82xx) and now that is fixed also.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#13 Post by BarryK »

Alienx wrote:I was without sound and network when testing 2.20 alpha from live cd

then I installed new puppy alpha to an usb pen drive, booted from there and all started working :roll:
Yes, see my recent developer blog post. I did most of my testing from a usb flash drive, so I got that mostly debugged. I have now found the cause of the modules not loading when boot from CD.

Probably enough feedback for the 2.20alpha. I'm fixing the bugs, and if it looks real good will bring out a beta, or if I still have doubts then there will be an alpha2.