Be "Happy" - New Alpha TESTING released

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Be "Happy" - New Alpha TESTING released

#1 Post by Lobster »

Alpha testing Download available - WARNING THIS IS AN ALPHA FOR TESTING PURPOSES
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... monkey.iso

Md5sum puppy-2.20alpha-seamonkey.iso
dae59f616d0d983197047702f290283c

test Puppy 2.20 Alpha "Happy"
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy220

Should we try it?
Oh yes! 8)
  • 1. If you download and burn and then run from CD/DVD
    with the command "puppy pfix=ram" all your settings will be safe
    just remember not to save settings when you power down

2. You will be able to check out the latest Seamonkey
    (with spell check support - ideal for the ...ilita...illeet
    ...those who can't spell)

3. Puppy becomes a front end to an exciting abundance of software
    - the whole of Slackwares compiled software becomes available to Puppy

4. Will it boot on a PC with 48MB of ram as reported?
5. Developers compiler is a separate download

Get ready to be happy - feedback as always will be most welcome
"Oh Happy Day" :roll:

Keep an eye on Barrys blog
http://www.puppylinux.com/news/
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 15 Sep 2007, 13:34, edited 3 times in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

John Doe

Re: Prepare to get Happy

#2 Post by John Doe »

Lobster wrote:On or about 4th September
- Oz Freedom Day
Barry will be releasing a new test Puppy 2.20 Alpha "Happy"
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy220

Should you try it?
obviously we should try it :-)

looks cool, the seamonkey, xine and gxine updates were unexpected but very welcome.

i like also the:
will boot on a PC with 48MB of ram
easy to swap kernels
parts.

will tweak out wake before 9-3 to get the "Correct handling of frugal install in a folder" part going.

eriefisher

#3 Post by eriefisher »

Sounds great because I just happen to have 48 meg of ram in this old box.

cthisbear

#4 Post by cthisbear »

" I'm Happy "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droopy_Dog

" History

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Droopy first appeared in the MGM cartoon Dumb-Hounded, released by MGM on March 20, 1943 which is considered one of Avery's best works by animation scholars. Droopy's first scene is when he saunters into view, looks at the audience, and declares "hello all you happy people...you know what? I'm the hero."

Chris

ferikenagy

slackware compatibility, extend puppy modularity proposal

#5 Post by ferikenagy »

about slackaware compatibility and puppy size too fat? versus better small...discussion for 2.2 puppy

Before I have heard about Puppy I was a SLAX fan, why? because it was live & modular, and with .mo modules it was easy to customize and experiment different softwares.When I descovered puppy , became my favourite distro, never went back to SLAX.I think is very good that puppy will become Slackware compatible. Even Vector linux returns to gslapt to catch precompiled binaries. So I suppose That new puppy will be very flexible in getting pet/pup and tgz(slackware) binaries, I hope it will include the posibility on mounting .mo (SLAX) sfs files too (by ROX & Boot Manager). For an experimented user is straitforward to get and compile software from source package, sometimes in smaller softwares with few dependencies it works for me too, but I had to admit I prefer to get it in working precompiled binaries, so extending pupy to be slackware binary compatible is wonderful.Even more easy for an newbie is workink with .sfs (puppy) and .mo (SLAX) modules! Is like working with 'bricks' : you copied it and is ready for testing, if it fit your need you keep it, if not you drop it (simply delete it).This is an wonderful philosophy.It worth to be extended.Frugal install on HDD is prefered against normal install for this too.The price for these flexibility (mounting more than 3 sfs modules) is performance /speed & memory, so puppy limit it for 3 modules, and SLAX doesn't limit it (I presume it can mount up to 255 modules...).An compromise solution could be to raise the limit of 3 to say 7-9 sfs modules in BOOT MAnager & issue-ing an warning of performance drop for using more than 3 modules in daily use, encouraging users to use more .sfs & .mo modules only for testing purpose, and after that better pack this extra modules in one custom sfs file for daily use.The idea is to move custom software packages instaled (with compilation from source, or binaries PUP/PET or tgz ) from inside puppy.2fs in an separate custom_only_software.sfs file.In these way puppy.2fs will remain an container for personal work, data ,PC setup information only, and stable personal custom used software will be an separete module like devx.sfs or open office.sfs.These philosophy should encourage users instead of creating different puplet distros , to better make custom.sfs modules that work with base puppy and behave like their distro.It also could be an reasonable solution for discussion about puppy size: is too big 100mbyte or not! Puppy could be split in 2 files (2 stage puppy) :
An basic puppy file with small size that run seamlessly in old hardware in memory, and extended (second) puppy file with all application of standard puppy not fitting in the basic file.
...sorry if I was too long...

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

It wasn't too long, but it does help if you break things up into shorter chunks. Otherwise, when my eyes get to the end of a line and they do a "carriage return", I have trouble finding the correct line to start reading from again.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

mbutts
Location: sitn on an iceburg waiting for my next meal to swim by.

#7 Post by mbutts »

Sounds great that 2.20 is coming out. Will be interesting to see what it is like. Sounds like some new thinking and ideas. Thank goodness AU is ahead of on the time line so "Tomorrow" will be here quicker for the rest of us.
Rambling thoughts:
Could of called it "high voltage" since it reminds me of 220 volts. Would be cool to hear Droopy say something like "hello folks" instead of the familiar "bark bark" when it opens the first time. Also "Happy Feet" makes me think of Linux penguins.
Penguin, the OTHER white meat.
[url=http://www.puppyos.com][img]http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5563/yxudnslbsx1jpglx3.png[/img][/url][img]http://i18.tinypic.com/2wd7o80.gif[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#8 Post by Lobster »

"Happy" is just a name - most geeks are happy with numbers eg 2.20 :)

Anyway the Alpha is out - see first post in this thread

During the 2.20 Alpha boot sequence a message came up:

'fuse init ( API version 7.8 )' this was quite slow taking about 10 seconds. (some part of the decompression?)

later in the boot sequence there was a pause for 60 seconds whilst it tried to load info from tmp/log (might have been bootlog)

I was using "puppy pfix=ram" and I think that is important. This is a rough Pup. Mongrel even - but feisty. Once in, my usual connect to the net sequence took seconds

I was delighted that Seamonkey has a spell checker and an IRC chat client

The 2.20 dev (which includes the c and c++ and freebasic compilers is a secondary download) and will be of interest to many

I am sure another thread will arise for bugs or testing AND for including some new Slackware compiled programs

Be very interesting to see that emerge

Are you ready for high voltage cutting edge Puppy?
Get Happy
Last edited by Lobster on Mon 03 Sep 2007, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Leon

#9 Post by Leon »

As usually I extracted all the files from iso file to /dev/hda5/Bp220a.

This is a booting section from my Menu.lst file for booting Puppy-2.20alpha that fails during the boot process:

# Boot Puppy Linux
title Puppy-2.20alpha, idehd, Bp220a
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /bp220a/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=bp220a
initrd /bp220a/initrd.gz
boot

It starts to boot. During the boot process a message comes up:

aufs init (API version 7.8)

After about 20 seconds the next message comes up:

Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

The boot process stops.

This is a booting section from my Menu.lst file for booting Puppy-p2.17.1 that works:

# Boot Puppy Linux
title Puppy-p2.17.1_, idehd, Bp2171_
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /bp2171_/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd psubdir=bp2171_
initrd /bp2171_/initrd.gz
boot

HairyWill

#10 Post by HairyWill »

I had a similar experience to Leon when trying to boot from a subdirectory.

I went back to just using

Code: Select all

kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pfix=ram
initrd (hd0,2)/initrd.gz
This booted OK but failed to load any modules in the zdrv file. There were entries in bootsysinit.log for
loading ipw2200
loading eepro

but lsmod showed that they had not been loaded and I trying to load them manually failed with "not found" I think.

There was no entry in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE for zdrv, I presume this is the caused of the failed module loading.

After creating a pup_save and rebooting the modules were loaded automatically

On a minor note Atol failed to launch a terminal even though the settings showed rxvt as the program that should be invoked.

Be aware that the routine that searches for a pup_save is now more thorough and asks less questions(than 2.16 at least). It found my only pup_save on another partition and booted using it without asking me. If you have 2 you get a choice.
Last edited by HairyWill on Mon 03 Sep 2007, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

twointo1

#11 Post by twointo1 »

Loaded "puppy pfix=ram" and os came up. I have an Epia ml6000eag (VIA) motherboard w/512mb ram. The os did not recognize my sound or network eth0 and eth1. Tried to load zd1211rw and wouldn't load. Tried to load ndiswrapper for the windows drivers and would not load. Tried the new ICW pet and it failed also. Exited without saving.

The previous versions 2.14-2.17.1 work without any problems. Also, when I went back to using 2.17.1 it would not network properly and after about 25 minutes of trying different ways to get the network working failed, I had to reload 2.17.1

I liked the new icons and the dual panel filer.

SirDuncan

#12 Post by SirDuncan »

First off, it really does boot slow. Second, it will not recognize either the built-in ethernet or my wireless PC card. I could not manually load the drivers either. The drivers in question are the eepro100 and the orinoco_cs driver. Since I only brought my laptop with me to the dorm, I have no other computer upon which to test. I really wanted to try out the new SeaMonkey. The lack of spell-check was really my main complaint against the old versions.

This problem existed for the orinoco_cs driver in some older versions, and I would fix it by installing it from a DotPup. I hope this is fixed before the final release because I don't want to go back to that.

If I read Barry's blog correctly, 2.20 is reverting to the old kernel. Since that is the kernel for the Puppy versions with which the orinoco driver had this problem before, I wonder if the kernel is to blame. Then again, the eeepro driver never had a problem with the old kernel, so maybe it is something else.
Last edited by SirDuncan on Mon 03 Sep 2007, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

fudgy

#13 Post by fudgy »

some observations:

- aufs: fuse takes 44 sec. on my ibm R50e
- eepro100 intel network eth0 not dedected (modprobe cant find eepro...)
- on first shutdown psubdir is recognized correctly and pup_save.2fs created there

- bootparam: kernel (hd0,1)/pup220test/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 psubdir=pup220test
this is partially not working: it displays a choice of all my save-files, not only those in /pup220test.

- encrypted save files work for me

All the above is the same with unionfs.
BTW: I copied the files from the iso by hand, no installer used.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

SirDuncan wrote:If I read Barry's blog correctly, 2.20 is reverting to the old kernel. Since that is the kernel for the Puppy versions with which the orinoco driver had this problem before, I wonder if the kernel is to blame. Then again, the eeepro driver never had a problem with the old kernel, so maybe it is something else.
No, the 2.20alpha has the latest, 2.6.21.5 kernel. I have a future plan to *also* release a 2.20 with the older kernel.

tlchost

Underawed

#15 Post by tlchost »

SirDuncan wrote:First off, it really does boot slow. Second, it will not recognize either the built-in ethernet or my wireless PC card.
Tried it on my Dell Dimension:

A. Did not detect my network card 2.17.1 did
B. Did not offer a usb printer option 2.17.1 did
C. Did not detect my sound card 2.17.1 did
D. Did not find any legacy sound drivers (did't need to with 2.17.1)
E. Could not use vmware to create appliance as worked with 2.17.1

started with puppy pfix=ram

Slow boot up

veronicathecow

#16 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi Barry, new Pup looks good. One hiccup so far. On my install it sits and waits for 30 seconds after this line "Input: usb HID V111 mouse on usb 0000:00:0a 1-2" ....... (or there about I can't read my own writing!)
Any chance of an easy way to enable full debug O/P on boot for us "techies?" to fiddle on finished Pups?
1440*900 24 Bit worked flawlessly from start (Never got it to work before, excellent)
Atols nice, hope it stays.
DHCP seems quicker but perhaps you could try backgrounding it again?
Boot time on Althlon 2ghz (xp3200) 512 RAM (Installed on a SATA partion Frugall) 36 seconds
Many many thanks for your hard work.
Tony

cb88

#17 Post by cb88 »

barry it wouldn't even finish booting in virtualbox and the md5 checked out it got stuck at pivot root and was slow in the other parts also i just tried to run 2.17.1 in virtualbox and it stops at creating unionfs maybe the kernel is to blame not sure

i thought i had booted 2.17.1 in VB but maybe not i know it booted better on some P4 HT PCs than the old kernel it is kind of frustating isn't it.
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

SirDuncan

#18 Post by SirDuncan »

BarryK wrote:No, the 2.20alpha has the latest, 2.6.21.5 kernel. I have a future plan to *also* release a 2.20 with the older kernel.
I see, so it is not the kernel. I wonder what it could be then. As I said, this problem existed for the orinoco_cs driver before, but in 2.17 it was fixed. The eepro100 has always worked just fine in the past.

I never figured out what caused it before, so I doubt I will be able to find out now (it might not even be caused by the same thing). However, I full confidence in your ability to fix it, Barry.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

davec51

My Experience with Happy

#19 Post by davec51 »

I booted 2.20 on my old P II computer, 192RAM (1999 vintage) using pfix=ram. For the first time with puppy, I was able to use XORG instead of XVESA on this computer, though the difference in graphic quality wasn't particularly noticeable. However, I couldn't connect my network or access the web. The wizard failed to find a driver. I remembered that older versions found something called "tulip," so I tried that manually, but no luck. And no luck with any of the other drivers offered (I didn't try all of them).
I booted up a newer computer (P IV, 1G RAM, 2006 vintage) with pfix=ram. This time, XORG configuration led to a blank screen (the monitor just cut out). VESA was fine. Everything else worked; I'm using 2.20 now to write this).
Bootup on both machines was a bit slow, with a "fail" at "switch root" and a 60-second pause.
I hope some of this is helpful.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

...with a "fail" at "switch root" and a 60-second pause.
Me too. Says can't mount /sys. But only when booting ram-only.

Also about a 15 sec delay at

fuse init (API version 7.8)

Tried compiling the synaptics module, missing many headers Xi.h etc. Anyone know where to get all of the Xorg include files? Been looking for a binary, no luck so far. Hard to live without synaptic. Thought 2.17's desktop ikons looked sharper. The spell checker in SeaMonkey is VERY NICE. I kant spel.