PET-Be-Gone v0.4

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Pizzasgood

PET-Be-Gone v0.4

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

Only compatible with Puppy versions less than 4.3. (More specifically, it only works on Puppies that were built with Unleashed. Woof-built Puppies are not compatible with this package.)

PET-Be-Gone is an application to help you remove the programs that Puppy comes with. As of Puppy 2.14, examples are Abiword, Gnumeric, Seamonkey, Gxine, and Geany. There are literally hundreds more, though most are very small libraries for stuff like ogg support or jpg images. For the curious, unlike the old PupBeGone, this app was written from the ground up. It's orders of magnitude faster, much better looking, and far simpler to work with. I'm not afraid to look at this one's guts (I still avoid the old PupBeGone like a non-creative writing assignment at two in the morning)

How it works is pretty simple. First, you must install the 0pkgs_db-x.x.x.pet file! It is available through the PETget install that comes with Puppy. That file contains lists of what each package contains and where they are located. Without it, nothing can be uninstalled.

When that's set up, you can install and use PET-Be-Gone (links provided below). It is a ROX-App that installs to /root/my-roxapps/. It will also add an entry to the menus (restart the windowmanager first). It will pop up the familiar interface used by PETget, except the contents will be different. Listed on the right are all the packages built into Puppy. Select and remove the ones you wish to eradicate, and press continue. It will then cycle through and uninstall them. It will also edit livepackages.txt, which means you can re-install those apps later with PETget if you miss them. Additionally, it creates a deadpackages.txt file so it can keep track of what it has and has not removed.

When it's finished, the packages will be deleted. If you restart your windowmanager, the menus should update to reflect that.

HOWEVER, unless you are running a Full-HD install, they won't truly be deleted. This is no fault of yours, mine, nor PET-Be-Gone's. It's a result of the very nature of Puppy. Those apps were contained in a read-only compressed file. When you modify or "delete" them, Puppy merely turns a blind eye to the original. So Puppy will think you've deleted them and you won't be able to use them anymore, but no space will be freed. Actually, a slight amount of space will be used for the "whiteout" files that Puppy uses to hide them.

So, what's the solution? Remaster. Although they apps still exist within the pup_xxx.sfs file, Puppy cannot see them. Neither can the remaster script. So if you use it to remaster Puppy, those apps will not be included, and the resulting Puppy will be smaller. Replace your old Puppy with this new, lighter one, and presto! Apps are gone for good.

Okay, now that I've gotten all that out of the way, here is the download link:
petbegone-0.4.pet
DEPENDENCY: 0pkgs_db-x.x.x.pet, available through the PETget installer. If it doesn't show, then it is generally availible from the ibiblio server, in the directory corresponding to the version of Puppy you use. Be sure to get the one for the Puppy you use, or it will not remove packages correctly!

Warning: Sometimes PET-Be-Gone can corrupt your /root/.packages/livepackages.txt and /root/.packages/deadpackages.txt files. It will make a backup before every edit, but it only maintains the most recent backup, so you may wish to make your own backups also. If you get the "Xdialog error", try restoring this file, and possibly deleting the /root/.packages/deadpackages.txt file. Doing the latter will make PET-Be-Gone forget that it has already removed all the packages you've removed. Otherwise it should have no ill effects.

updated May 5, 2008: corrected sed error that would change the 'on' in package descriptions
updated Oct 18, 2008: corrected grep errors that mishandled quotations
updated Oct 19, 2008: corrected more grep and sed errors, and made more robust to hopefully avoid disabling PET-Be-Gone if there are remaining errors
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Sun 10 Jan 2010, 18:05, edited 7 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

WhoDo

Re: PET-Be-Gone v0.1

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:DEPENDENCY: 0pkgs_db-x.x.x.pet, available through the PETget installer.

Warning: This version has not yet been heavily tested! It seems to work so far, but back up first anyway!
I have downloaded and installed the package, but although 0pkgs_db-2.1.5 is installed in the base package, and so not accessible through PETget, it still fails to run with the following error:

Code: Select all

ERROR:  /root/.packages/unleashed does not exist.  Maybe
0pkgs_db-2.1.5.pet isn't installed?
Version: Puppy 2.15CE Final - Full (Normal) hard drive install

Note: /root/.packages/packages.txt exists, as do livepackages.txt and alienpackages.txt, but /root/.packages/unleashed does not. Could that be the problem?

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

ERROR: /root/.packages/unleashed does not exist
Note: /root/.packages/packages.txt exists, as do livepackages.txt and alienpackages.txt, but /root/.packages/unleashed does not. Could that be the problem?
Is this a trick question? :?

Okay, I'll be serious now. 0pkgs_db should have a /root/.packages/unleashed directory, which contains hundreds of *.files files. So either it isn't installed properly, or it wasn't created properly (don't forget you must run createpets script that comes with unleashed).

Someone else told me that it wasn't uninstalling all the files of some package, but that's a different error. Just thought I'd warn anyone who's testing this so they stay on the lookout. I'm going to do some more testing tonight.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Is this a trick question? :?

Okay, I'll be serious now. 0pkgs_db should have a /root/.packages/unleashed directory, which contains hundreds of *.files files. So either it isn't installed properly, or it wasn't created properly (don't forget you must run createpets script that comes with unleashed).
0pkgs_db was definitely included in the build. Here is the relevant section of my packages.txt file:

Code: Select all

"0pkgs_db-2.1.4" "0pkgs_db-2.1.4: " unavailable " " \
"0pkgs_db-2.1.5" "0pkgs_db-2.1.5: " on " " \
"0rootfs_skeleton-2.1.4" "0rootfs_skeleton-2.1.4: " unavailable "CONSCORE 13940K" \
"0rootfs_skeleton-2.1.5" "0rootfs_skeleton-2.1.5: " on " " \
I have 3 installations - 1 x Full (Normal), 1 x Frugal (save to partition) and 1 x Frugal (save to file). None of them show the unleashed directory under /root/.packages, sorry.

Is there another way to test for the presence of 0pkgs_db?

BTW, if I didn't run the createpets script, how did I get a base Puppy 2.15 to start from? All of the packages that were in /root/unleashed/packages are in the build, as the packages.txt file attests. Mind you, the original build has been remastered, and it is possible that in one of the remasters the /root directory was wiped of any reference to /root/.packages/unleashed

Hope that helps you track this one down, PG.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

createpets is not createpuppy. createpuppy builds the iso. createpets takes all those package directories and does two things. First it makes the 0pkgs_db-x.x.x package, then it makes .pet files out of all those package directories.

As for whether you have it installed, yes, you do seem to have it. But it's not correct. Either it was built wrong, or it was stripped out by the remaster script. Because the entire package consists of those lists in /root/.packages/unleashed/. Without them, it's just an empty and useless shell. Not even good for holding soup.

You can check whether it's the package itself or the remaster script by looking at the packages/0pkgs_db-2.1.5/ directory in the Unleashed tree.

Something else to keep in mind: If you modify it and use the remaster script, any new or removed files won't be reflected by the file lists, and may cause things to be improperly removed by PET-Be-Gone, unless you manually fix the appropriate .files file.

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:createpets is not createpuppy. createpuppy builds the iso. createpets takes all those package directories and does two things. First it makes the 0pkgs_db-x.x.x package, then it makes .pet files out of all those package directories.
Ok, I must be really dumb or something, because the process was the reverse for me. I downloaded a whole heap of packages from unleashed that were already in .pet format. Then I ran a set of commands to unpack them from .pets to directories under /unleashed/packages ... then I ran createpuppy. 0pkgs_db-2.1.5 (renamed by me) was one of those directories. I double-checked because you said it was necessary for Pupbegone (Petbegone didn't yet exist).
Pizzasgood wrote:As for whether you have it installed, yes, you do seem to have it. But it's not correct. Either it was built wrong, or it was stripped out by the remaster script. Because the entire package consists of those lists in /root/.packages/unleashed/. Without them, it's just an empty and useless shell. Not even good for holding soup.
Then that's what I've got and what's more I can't recreate it. In the remaster shuffle I lost my entire unleashed directory with all my packages, etc. :cry:
Pizzasgood wrote:You can check whether it's the package itself or the remaster script by looking at the packages/0pkgs_db-2.1.5/ directory in the Unleashed tree.
Can't do that for reasons just stated above. Sorry.

UPDATE: Ok, I picked up a copy of the unleashed directory from one of my coasters and put it under /root/.packages and Petbegone now runs. *sigh* Here comes another patch for Puppy 2.15CE ....

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, here's the full version:

1. download lots of stuff
2. run command to extract them
3. edit them all
4. run command to make PETgets out of them and set up 0pkgs_db
5. run command to build iso

It is semi-safe to skip step 4 during testing, but needs to be done before making a final edition. It has to be re-done for the final, to update for any changes to the packages. An old one will only work if you changed the contents of files without changing which files are included or not, though that's only if 0pkgs_db is all you care about because the PETgets it makes would be outdated.

xxsolusxx

#8 Post by xxsolusxx »

I ran pet-be-gone and (misunderstood the directions) ran a pfix=clean

get

Xdialog v2.3.1 by Thierry Godefroy <xdialog@free.fr> (v1.0 was
written by Alfred at Cyberone Internet <alfred@cyberone.com.au>).
Xdialog home page available at: http://xdialog.dyns.net/

Usage: Xdialog [<common options>] [<transient options>] <box option> ...

Common options:
--wmclass <name>
--rc-file <gtkrc filename>
--backtitle <backtitle>
--title <title>
--allow-close | --no-close
--screen-center | --under-mouse | --auto-placement
--center | --right | --left | --fill
--no-wrap | --wrap
--cr-wrap | --no-cr-wrap
--stderr | --stdout
--separator <character> | --separate-output
--buttons-style default|icon|text

Transient options:
--fixed-font
--password (may be repeated 2 or 3 times before --2inputsbox or --3inputsbox)
--password=1|2 (for --2inputsbox or --3inputsbox)
--editable
--time-stamp | --date-stamp
--reverse
--keep-colors
--interval <timeout>
--timeout <timeout> (in seconds)
--no-tags
--item-help (if used, the {...} parameters are needed in menus/lists widgets)
--default-item <tag>
--icon <xpm filename>
--no-ok
--no-cancel
--no-buttons
--default-no
--wizard
--help <help>
--print <printer> (1)
--check <label> [<status>]
--ok-label <label>
--cancel-label <label>
--beep
--beep-after
--begin <Yorg> <Xorg>
--ignore-eof
--smooth

Box options:
--yesno <text> <height> <width>
--msgbox <text> <height> <width>
--infobox <text> <height> <width> [<timeout>]
--gauge <text> <height> <width> [<percent>]
--progress <text> <height> <width> [<maxdots> [[-]<msglen>]]
--inputbox <text> <height> <width> [<init>]
--2inputsbox <text> <height> <width> <label1> <init1> <label2> <init2>
--3inputsbox <text> <height> <width> <label1> <init1> <label2> <init2> <label3> <init3>
--combobox <text> <height> <width> <item1> ... <itemN>
--rangebox <text> <height> <width> <min value> <max value> [<default value>]
--2rangesbox <text> <height> <width> <label1> <min1> <max1> <def1> <label2> <min2> <max2> <def2>
--3rangesbox <text> <height> <width> <label1> <min1> <max1> <def1> ... <label3> <min3> <max3> <def3>
--spinbox <text> <height> <width> <min value> <max value> <default value> <label>
--2spinsbox <text> <height> <width> <min1> <max1> <def1> <label1> <min2> <max2> <def2> <label2>
--3spinsbox <text> <height> <width> <min1> <max1> <def1> <label1> ... <min3> <max3> <def3> <label3>
--textbox <file> <height> <width>
--editbox <file> <height> <width>
--tailbox <file> <height> <width>
--logbox <file> <height> <width>
--menubox <text> <height> <width> <menu height> <tag1> <item1> {<help1>}...
--checklist <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> {<help1>}...
--radiolist <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> {<help1>}...
--buildlist <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> {<help1>}...
--treeview <text> <height> <width> <list height> <tag1> <item1> <status1> <item_depth1> {<help1>}...
--fselect <file> <height> <width>
--dselect <directory> <height> <width>
--colorsel <text> <height> <width> [<red> <green> <blue>]
--fontsel <font name> <height> <width>
--calendar <text> <height> <width> [<day> <month> <year>]
--timebox <text> <height> <width> [<hours> <minutes> <seconds>]

Special options:
--version (prints version number to stderr and exits).
--print-version (same as above in a cdialog-compatible way).
--print-maxsize (prints maximum menu size in characters and exits).

Note that <height> and <width> are in characters and may be replaced by a single
XSIZExYSIZE[+/-XORG+/-YORG] parameter (like the one passed in the -geometry option
of X) which will represent the size of the Xdialog window in pixels. Specifying
a size of 0 0 (or 0x0) will auto-size Xdialog, while a size of -1 -1 (or -1x-1)
will maximize it.

(1) This Xdialog binary compiled with: lprshell -P<printer>
as the print command. If <printer> is "" (an empty string), the -P
option is not used.

When trying tpo re-run pet-be-gone (tried re-installing)

xxsolusxx

#9 Post by xxsolusxx »

*requires remaster*

So you can only remove them if (A) you install to the HD or (b) you burn a new livedisk from a .iso

running from a livedisk w/ no burner= s.o.l?

Pizzasgood

#10 Post by Pizzasgood »

Pretty much. The built-in stuff is stored on the CD, so there's not much you can do to it without burning a new one. Which is great from a security standpoint, but annoying with situations like this.

As for the Xdialog error, I'll look into that. Someone else just had that same problem in the thread you were asking about 0pkgs_db. If you go back there and follow the instructions I posted, that might help me sort out this particular bug.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 964#137964

kkpity

#11 Post by kkpity »

Are the above instructions still valid for puppy 3.01?

I couldn't find 0pkgs_db-x.x.x.pet on my PETget installer.

Thanks

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

kkpity

#12 Post by kkpity »

I've found the package at:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... b-3.01.pet

but my question is still pending ;-)

Are the above instructions still valid for puppy 3.01?

Just to make sure someone has already used them on puppy 3.01.

Thanks again

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't tested it on 3.xx yet. It seemed like there were a lot of people with bugs from this a couple months back, so if you try it be careful. Back up your /root/packages directory, especially packages.txt and livepackages.txt. If you get the dreaded Xdialog help dialog rather than PETget or Pet-Be-Gone, replace them and it should fix that (but your PETget might wind up slightly out of sync with your system, as in, it won't realize you removed an app, so that app won't appear in the download list.

Also, I don't remember if this version offeres the option to not use the 0pkgs-db package, and to download the packages themselves to see what's inside. If it does, only use the 0pkgs-db option. Otherwise it will try to use the files from puppy 2.xx and mess some stuff up.

atheist

#14 Post by atheist »

hello,

i ran this on 3.01 (HD install) and got the dreaded x-dialog error. i wonder if there's any way to regenerate an accurate deadpackages.txt file, so that pet-be-gone will be in sync again?

or is this handled in a remastering process?

thanks,
-steve

xekarfwtos

#15 Post by xekarfwtos »

Hi

I found a little bug in Pet-be-gone (running it on Puppy 3.0.1). When there is a "on" in the packet description, it changes this "on" to "off" and not the correct.

For example
I uninstall the packet gxine.
The correct line in deadpackages.txt and livepackages.txt after removing gxine should be
"gxine-0.5.11" "gxine-0.5.11: GTK+ media player based on Xine" off "SLACK12 +xine-lib 584K" \
but the application create this line
"gxine-0.5.11" "gxine-0.5.11: GTK+ media player based off Xine" on "SLACK12 +xine-lib 584K" \

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, that isn't good. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but I'm too busy to look at it right now. I'll try to get to it within a month or so. I could probably improve the overall process a little too.

As for deadpackages.txt, I haven't the slightest idea right now. Too many other things on my mind to even remember how PET-Be-Gone works on the inside. I could remember if I tried, but I'd have to displace the circuit theory that's already in there which I need for the test on Friday...

ttuuxxx

#17 Post by ttuuxxx »

Pizzasgood wrote:Well, that isn't good. It shouldn't be hard to fix, but I'm too busy to look at it right now. I'll try to get to it within a month or so. I could probably improve the overall process a little too.

As for deadpackages.txt, I haven't the slightest idea right now. Too many other things on my mind to even remember how PET-Be-Gone works on the inside. I could remember if I tried, but I'd have to displace the circuit theory that's already in there which I need for the test on Friday...
Hey Pizzasgood sounds like you need to put the forum hold/ignore and focus on you work, I find the forum somewhat distracting also at times. I usually would go for a walk to get my mindset back on track.:) well good luck with it.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

mf2008

PetBeGone and Puppy 4.00

#18 Post by mf2008 »

Petbegone is great. But, I've only been using Puppy for 3-4 days. It wasn't clear how to use it. I finally got it to work. It was simple.

1. Download 0pkgs_db-4.00.pet from the ibiblio pet_packages-4 directory.

2. Execute these commands:

pet2tgz 0pkgs_db-4.00.pet
tar -zxf 0pkgs_db-4.00.tar.gz
mv 0pkgs_db-4.00/root/.packages/* /root/.packages/.

3. Download petbegone 0.1 from the first post in this thread:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17035

4. Click on the petbegone.pet package to install it.

5. Reboot and find petbegone in the Start->Setup menu.

It works fine for me using Puppy 4.00 (the one with the kernal that's the same as 3.01.). The only odd thing is that petbegone always has a gtk package in the left pane. I don't know why. I always move it back to the right pane.

I hope this helps newbies. It took me a few hours to figure it out.

Mark

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay, I finally got around to fixing that error. I would have done it months ago, but I forgot :oops: Anyways, the new version is linked to in the first post of this thread. Also, I'm dropping support for the dotpup version. I only included a dotpup before because I wrote this back when PETget was brand new, and back then it was fairly buggy so I figured I'd also make a dotpup as a sure-fire way to install it.

@mf2008: Actually, you should be able to install pkgs_db-4.00.pet by just using PETget (Start->Setup->Package Manager, I think). Even if you download it manually, you should still be able to simply click it, and Puppy should take care of the actual installation.

Your method works too, except it doesn't register it with PETget, which means if you decide to remove it you'll have to do it by hand. Not a big deal.

Also, you don't need to reboot after installing PET-Be-Gone. You only need to restart JWM. You don't even need to do that unless you want to run it from the Start menu (the alternative would be to go to /root/my-roxapps/ and click on it).

Not sure what's up with that GTK package. I'll take a look the next time I play around with 4.00.

jukingeo

More info on programs to be removed

#20 Post by jukingeo »

Hello,

I have loaded Puppy up on a USB flash memory that boots itself up when inserted into a computer. The reason for this is that I have a special application and I do not need many of the applications on board that came with Puppy for this application.

Sidebar: As it is, I have noticed the purple memory box drop from 1237M (from the LiveCD) to 83M when I installed Puppy on the USB flash drive. I am assuming this number means the amount of memory left on my USB drive, however, when doing a driver capacity check on my USB drive, there is over 1.6 GIG left??? Puppy is only using about 350Meg. My computer has 1.5gig ram and if the purple box represents system Ram, how could I have only 85m left if Puppy only takes up 350Meg on my USB drive?

At any rate, I want to remove some of the unneeded applications. I have downloaded the db-4,00 pet file and downloaded PuppyBeGone 0.2. I can pull up Puppy Be Gone and it looks like I am ready to go. However, I am not sure at all about what files to remove. So my question is this:

Is there a list of all the pre-installed programs that Puppy comes with and what they do?

As it is, I DO want to keep the ability to get onto the internet so this way I can download updates and make changes without having to switch out of Puppy. What I want to remove is Email's, any art programs, spreadsheet programs.

I am mostly going to use the USB flash drive with Puppy on it for a sound based application. So most of the sound applications I am going to keep. But I am concerted with this low 85m indication. Perhaps I am crying wolf, but every time I load up something new (it was 85M before I put on Puppy Be Gone and the associated file, so I know every time I add a program, this number will decrease).

So in addition to the list of programs loaded on with Puppy, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what that purple xxxM Free box means on the taskbar.

EDIT: Just to let you know that I do have a full installation, but on a USB flash memory. I also have a pup_save file. So I am not sure if I fall into the full save category and can just remove the files via PetBeGone, or do I have to follow the procedure as outlined for a frugal installation.

Thank You,

Geo