Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 04:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
How to change the browser in 2.15CE to Firefox?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
jasray

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2007, 15:07    Post subject:  How to change the browser in 2.15CE to Firefox?
Subject description: And email to Thunderbird.

How do I change the default browser in Puppy 2.15CE from SeaMonkey to Firefox? And the e-mail client to Thunderbird? Thanks!
fernan

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2007, 18:28    Post subject:  

You need to edit the file /usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser . (right click, open it as text)

write there the program you want to open Smile

The same with "defaultemail" Smile
jasray

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2007, 00:26    Post subject:  Edit Text
Subject description: With What?

Fernan--thanks, but with what? Just execFirefox and execThunderbird. It seems in the local/user/bin folder that other shortcuts/program icons exist for Mozilla which would mean I would have to copy the same type from the FF and TB folder. This is what confuses me--how much does the folder need? A shortcut? Obviously, I'm not a veteran Linux user. Thanks for the help!
fernan

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug 2007, 23:17    Post subject:  

jasray

you need to install any additional browser. Puppy comes with seamonkey browser and mail, and Dillo web browser.

If you want to use another browser, you must install it first (You can try the Puppy package manager), and then you can edit the "/usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser" file.

Actually Seamonkey works very well, I don know why you want to change it.

In my case, I installed opera because it runs slightly faster in my PIII 500Mhz.

regards.

fernan
jasray

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2007, 16:58    Post subject:  Default Browser
Subject description: Install--Firefox

Fernan--Yes, SeaMonkey is fine; however, FF runs quite well on a variety of machines and has a number of add-ins that I like. I did install FF as a browser, but still no idea how to make it the default browser. An attempt made rather a mess of everything. Thanks for any additional help.

jas.
fernan

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2007, 17:27    Post subject:  

If you can run FF by typing a command in a terminal, (I don' t know the exact word, may be "firefox" or something like that") you should edit the "/usr/local/bin/defaulbrowser" file, and replace the actual command (I think it' s "exec mozstart") with "exec yourFFbrowser"

You can check also inside your ~.jwmrc file (it's a hidden file in your home folder) to see the command used by your menu to open the application.

That should work.
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct 2007, 13:22    Post subject: forget it just download my puppy fire hydrant based on 3.0  

Installed: Firefox, flash, java, plus thunderbird, sunbird and lightning so you can get your mail and your calendar in one app. plus icewm, and 19 themes, a few new games in the firefox tool menu, xmms with a sony skin, Limewire, shutterbug, Gimpshop, Yahoo messenger, aMSN messenger,etc a lot was added and no scripts removed.

I made it to replace 2.15ce , its up to you Smile

you can find it here www.ttuuxxx.com
imagepx8.gif
Description 
gif

Download 
Filename  imagepx8.gif 
Filesize  189.2 KB 
Downloaded  845 Time(s) 
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct 2007, 07:25    Post subject: This ia how just encase you don't want Fire Hydrant  

1st you need to install firefox 2.0.0.4 ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-3/mozilla_firefox-2.0.0.4.pet
once install go to the help menu, and click 'auto update" it will update to 2.0.0.7

2nd if you want flash install flash 9 http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/Flash9.pup
flash 9 will crash all the time. So then you need to install the fix, which actually works great! youtube here you come!!
flash fix ---> http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=3147&sid=a36fffbbd9484ecba39a642c10096f4a

3rd Install Thunderbird --> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-3/mozilla_thunderbird-2.0.0.4.pet

4th restart x and away you go.

5th Say thanks, lol Smile have a nice day and 2.15ce was the best puppy i ever installed untill i released my own version. www.ttuuxxx.com
jamescridland

PostPosted: Sat 03 Nov 2007, 14:31    Post subject:  

If you want to change the default browser to Firefox in Puppy Linux, you need to change the line in /usr/local/bin/default-browser/ to...

Code:
exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin "$@"

Hope that's useful for some of you. This is confirmed working in the latest - v3.01 - of the OS.
jamescridland

PostPosted: Sun 04 Nov 2007, 18:22    Post subject:  

Apologies: seems it's even easier:

Code:
exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

The version above works if you've Firefox already open; this works properly.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: