Wifi

Please post any bugs you have found
DonT

Wifi

#1 Post by DonT »

First off, thanks to Mr. Barry Kauler and the Puppy Team for providing a great distro. Hope the following contributes in some small way to Puppy's continuing development.

Problem: Puppy 2.17.1 wifi auto-connect does not configure a "long preamble".

Background: A group of us Puppy users happily connect wifi (open) at the local Books-A-Million store (large US chain) progressively using 2.15CE, 2.16, 2.16.1, and 2.17. We connect, enter a URL, and are redirected to a login page and then surf. The router requires "long preamble" and RutilT shows that these Puppy versions configure that correctly with Rt2500, Atheros, and ZyDas modules. Rock solid performance. And, I hand out Puppy CD's to interested users.

However, the wifi autoconnect in Puppy 2.17.1 for some reason configures our hotspot as "short preamble" and, although we are connected, we do not get the browser redirection to the login page. 2.17.1 does redirect to login with another hotspot (MacDonald's) that has a "short preamble" requirement and RutilT shows that the preamble is configured correctly there.

Request: If this is deemed not to be a bug, or if it is not fixable in the next version, is there a console command that will "force" a "long preamble"?

Further info: This "preamble" thing is the only difference that we could see in looking back through the wireless configurations, and Google query indicates this to be a possible reason for the login problem, which is why this is posted as a possible bug.

And, Mr. Kauler's blog about the new features coming up is exciting. We like this hotspot and hope not to be left behind having to use the older Puppy versions here.

Thanks to all.

DonT

kirk

#2 Post by kirk »

Problem: Puppy 2.17.1 wifi auto-connect does not configure a "long preamble".
Not sure what you mean by "preamble". Can you give an example?

....RutilT shows that the preamble is configured correctly there.

Are you using the network wizard and having a problem? Can you connect with Rutilt?

I'm not using 2.17.1 my self, just 2.17. I think there were some changes with the nework wizard and dhcpcd in 2.17.1.

If it works with Rutilt in version 2.17 and doesn't work with Rutilt in version 2.17.1 then it might be a problem with dhcpcd. I'll attach the one from 2.17. It goes in /usr/sbin/. You'll want to rename the on that's there and then unzip this one.
Attachments
dhcpcd.gz
(15.05 KiB) Downloaded 556 times

DonT

#3 Post by DonT »

Kirk,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

My apologies. My original post was not clear. I'll try to explain better.

We don't use the RutilT to set up the wireless. We just go through the normal Network Wizard procedure to load the modules and then autoconnect. Then during our troubleshooting the Puppy 2.17.1 wifi browser redirection problem, I ran the RutilT utility after connection to get more information. As you know, when the utility is run, the last menu (RT2500 Wireless - in my case) gives three infos on Wireless Mode, B/G Protection, and Tx Preamble. The dropdown menu under Tx Preamble gives "Short", "Auto" and "Long". At our hotspot, the previous versions of Puppy default to "Long Preamble", and only 2.17.1 defaults to "Short Preamble" during the autoconnect.

I also ran NetStumbler in Windows and it filtered our router requirement to be "Long Preamble", which is consistent with the configuration in the previous versions of Puppy.

To partially answer your question (as best I can), I Googled (browser redirection login) and found related info about preamble and problems and requirements, and then I used the RutilT to verify the auto configured preambles as above in the different versions of Puppy. That's when I found the different "preamble" in 2.17.1.

Also, after connecting in Puppy 2.17.1, I tried to manually change the preamble in RutilT to "Long", but no success in browser redirection to login after doing that.

My apologies again about the original post not being clear. We are successfully wifi connecting with the Network Wizzard in Puppy. Its just that after connecting, Puppy 2.17.1 does not redirect to the login page as before. And, the only difference that I could find was the "preamble" and there was Google thread that others also had experienced the preamble problem with login redirection in setting up their wireless. So, I posted after that.

Good to know that there is another Puppy user in Florida.

Thanks again.

DonT

kirk

#4 Post by kirk »

The ralink drivers might have been changed in 2.17.1 too. I have a rt2570 (ralink usb wifi), but Rultilt dosn't show any preamble option. Never saw that before, but I see it's an option for the rt2500. I think this is the iwpriv options for the rt2500 (if you interface is showing up as ra0):
iwpriv
=================
This is detailed explanation of each parameters for iwpriv.
Before reading this document, make sure you already read README.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USAGE:
iwpriv ra0 set [parameters]=[val]

where

[parameters] [val] range explaination
----------------- ----------------------- ---------------------------------------------
CountryRegion {0~7} Set country region
0: use 1 ~ 11 Channel
1: use 1 ~ 11 Channel
2: use 1 ~ 13 Channel
3: use 10, 11 Channel
4: use 10 ~ 13 Channel
5: use 14 Channel
6: use 1 ~ 14 Channel
7: use 3 ~ 9 Channel

SSID {0~z, less than 32 characters} Set SoftAP SSID

WirelessMode {0~2} Set Wireless Mode
0:11b/g mixed, 1:11B only

TxRate {0~12} Set TxRate
0:Auto, 1:1Mbps, 2:2Mbps, 3:5.5Mbps, 4:11Mbps,
5:6Mbps, 6:9Mbps, 7:12Mbps, 8:18Mbps, 9:24Mbps,
10:36Mbps, 11:48Mbps, 12:54Mbps

Channel {1~14} depends on country region Set Channel

BGProtection {0~2} Set 11B/11G Protection
0:Auto, 1:Always on, 2:Always off

TxPreamble {0~2} Set TxPreamble
0:Preamble Long, 1:Preamble Short, 2:Auto

RTSThreshold {1~2347} Set RTS Threshold

FragThreshold {256~2346} Set Fragment Threshold

TxBurst {0,1} Set TxBurst Enable or Disable
0:Disable, 1:Enable

TurboRate {0,1} Set TurboRate Enable or Disable

AdhocModeRate {0, 1} Set Adhoc mode tx rate
0: adhere WIFI spec., 1: violate WIFI spec.
(802.11g WIFI spec disallow OFDM rates in 802.11g ADHOC mode)

NetworkType {Infra,Adhoc} Set Network type

AuthMode {OPEN,SHARED,WPAPSK} Set Authentication mode

EncrypType {NONE,WEP,TKIP,AES} Set Encryption Type

DefaultKeyID {1~4} Set Default Key ID

Key1 {5 ascii characters or Set Key1 String
10 hex number or
13 ascii characters or
26 hex numbers}

Key2 {5 ascii characters or Set Key2 String
10 hex number or
13 ascii characters or
26 hex numbers}

Key3 {5 ascii characters or Set Key3 String
10 hex number or
13 ascii characters or
26 hex numbers}

Key4 {5 ascii characters or Set Key4 String
10 hex number or
13 ascii characters or
26 hex numbers}

WPAPSK {8~63 ASCII or 64 HEX characters} WPA Pre-Shared Key

ApClient {0,1} Set ApClient mode

Examples
===================================================================
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example I: Config STA to link with AP which is OPEN/NONE(Authentication/Encryption)
1. iwpriv ra0 set NetworkType=Infra
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=OPEN
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=NONE
4. iwpriv ra0 set SSID="AP's SSID"

Example II: Config STA to link with AP which is SHARED/WEP(Authentication/Encryption)
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=SHARED
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=WEP
4. iwpriv ra0 set Key1="AP's wep key"
5. iwpriv ra0 set DefaultKeyID=1
6. iwpriv ra0 set SSID="AP's SSID"

Example III: Config STA to link with AP which is WPAPSK/TKIP(Authentication/Encryption)
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
5. iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="AP's wpa-preshared key"

Example IV: Config STA to link with AP which is WPAPSK/AES(Authentication/Encryption)
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=AES
5. iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="AP's wpa-preshared key"

Example V: Config STA to create/link as adhoc mode
1. iwpriv ra0 set NetworkType=Adhoc
2. iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=OPEN
3. iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=NONE
4. iwpriv ra0 set SSID="Adhoc's SSID"

iwlist
=================
This is detailed explanation of each parameters for iwlist.

iwlist ra0 scanning ; list the result after scanning(site survey)
So you might try:

iwpriv ra0 set TxPreamble=0

I don't kown if it matters if the interface is up or down. (ifconfig ra0 up / ifconfig ra0 down)

If you don't have any luck, here's the rt2500 module from 2.17, don't know if it was changed in 2.17.1. Unzip it and then do:

insmod rt2500.ko
ifconfig ra0 up

Hoping ra0 is correct. Then go to Rutilt and connect.
Attachments
rt2500.ko.gz
(85.98 KiB) Downloaded 522 times

DonT

#5 Post by DonT »

Kirk,

Thanks again for your help and patience.

You were very correct. The iwpriv ra0 set TxPreamble=0 console command did reset the preamble in Puppy 2.17.1 to "Long Preamble". Running the RutilT utility showed the change. But, still SeaMonkey was not redirected to the login page like the previous versions of Puppy did. A very good exercise for me. Learned something new. Thanks for the instructions.

I did not load the 2.17 Rt2500 module because I was unable to connect with that module when I first tested the 2.17 version. There was posting on a problem with the module at that time, and I remember there was a fix posted. Instead, in 2.17 me and another person here also with a Rt2500 chipset used ndiswrapper to connect and login to our hotspot and did not use the fix, thinking that the module fix would be in 2.17.1. It evidently was because I could connect with the Rt2500 module in 2.17.1 when it came out, but then the browser redirection login problem appeared. Not sure that it's relevant, but just to test further, using ndiswrapper (rt2500.inf) in 2.17.1 the wifi does connect as before , but, as with using the module, the browser still does not redirect to login (no option in RutilT using ndiswrapper to see the preamble).

Also, as additional info, two other people here (using an Atheros module and a Zydas USB module) said they were unable to get the browser redirection for login using 2.17.1, although were successful with the previous versions of Puppy. They're away on vacation, but I'll try to get other wifi cards to personally verify this.

Maybe the additional testing with the other cards will give more information as to the redirection problem. I'll just continue giving out 2.16.1 version cd's. That's what I use. I like to show new users an out of box experience. And, I'm confident that the Puppy programming heavyweights like yourself will come up with the answer to this redirection glitch.

Have a good day,

DonT

Dougal

#6 Post by Dougal »

DonT wrote:I did not load the 2.17 Rt2500 module because I was unable to connect with that module when I first tested the 2.17 version.
Is that the dhcpcd compatibility problem? It should be fixed in 2.17.1
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

Just to be clear. It works fine in 2.17 using ndiswrapper , but but doesn't work in 2.17.1 ?

...Puppy programming heavyweights like yourself.....
Me? hardly. You must be talking about Dougal.

DonT

#8 Post by DonT »

Answering in order of posting.

Dougal,

Yes, the rt2500 module in Puppy 2.17.1 does connect to our hotspot using the Network Wizzard. Just like the previous versions of Puppy did (except 2.17). But, 2.17.1 after connecting with the rt2500 module will not redirect the browser to our hotspot login page as the previous Puppy versions did.

Thanks for your help. I've read many of your postings. Your demonstrated expertise with Linux and Puppy is impressive.

Kirk,

Yes, Puppy 2.17 connects with ndiswrapper and does redirect to the login page and we happily surf the net. And, Puppy 2.17.1 will connect with the rt2500 module. But, the login page for the hotspot will not come up as it always did before. Using ndiswrapper in 2.17.1 also does connect to the hotspot, but does not bring up a login page.

Noticed that there are almost 2000 postings between you two gentlemen. Wow! I appreciate the opportunity to work with you both on this problem. I think Puppy has a great future. And, the talented guys like yourselves are the reason the forum is so successful.

I had hoped to test 2.17.1 on another person's laptop tonight, but they called and could not make it (maybe tomorrow night). Also, I did ask today to get an Atheros and a Zydas wifi card to test on 2.17.1 and was told that they would be brought to me within the next few days.

Thanks again for your help.

DonT

kirk

#9 Post by kirk »

It's sounding more like a Seamonkey problem. In 2.17.1 you say it connects but doesn't redirect to a login page. So you do get some kind of web page, but it doesn't redirect to a login page? If you can get to any kind of web page, you wouldn't think it's a driver problem.

Dougal

#10 Post by Dougal »

DonT wrote:the rt2500 module in Puppy 2.17.1 does connect to our hotspot using the Network Wizzard. Just like the previous versions of Puppy did (except 2.17). But, 2.17.1 after connecting with the rt2500 module will not redirect the browser to our hotspot login page as the previous Puppy versions did.
I don't know about that browser issue, but note that tempestuous posted an updated dhcpcd -- appearently the one in 2.17.1 was broken, too!
You might also try the new version of the wizard, as it has some little fixes (except for the improvements).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

DonT

#11 Post by DonT »

Answering again in order of posting.

Kirk,

The wifi connects and the procedure then is to enter a URL in the browser and the first page that comes up after doing that is a login page. After entering the login ID the connection is then free to surf the internet. No web traffic occurs before the login page. And, entering any proper internet URL will trigger the login page. After reading about preamble and redirection login, I believe that the login page redirection is actually controlled by the hotspot router. Not sure if that is technically correct.

Dougal,

Thanks, I will look for that update and see if I can do something with it.

I did manage to get two cards and test with the ath_pci and zd1211rw modules.

Puppy 2.16.1
ath_pci module works great. Connects and redirects to login.
zd1211rw module unable to connect to hotspot. Cannot see a live network

Puppy 2.17
ath_pci module works great. Connects and redirects to login.
zd1211rw module automatically loaded and sees live network. But, could not get IP address.

Puppy 2.17.1
ath_pci module connects, but will not redirect to login.
zd1211rw module automatically loaded and connects and acquires IP address. But, will not redirect to login.

I believe though, that I saw the ZyDas USB card working on a laptop using Puppy 2.16.1 and it may have used ndiswrapper. I didn't have the .inf to use during this test.

Thank you gentlemen, for your help.

DonT

vito

wifi atheros connecting

#12 Post by vito »

I have found that when using the atheros pcmcia wifi card driver (orinoco) the wifi in 217.1 or 217 connects only in cases where there is no wep encryption. Once WEP comes into play the wifi card sees the access point but does not connect. When using Ruit in tandem with the connect gui from Puppy's desktop my laptop got into some type of loop and crashed. I also tried an orinoco driver rc13 newly compiled by Tempestuous with the same results. There is yet another newer driver listed as orinocorc15 available but I don't have a means to compile this and don't wish to use up Tempestuous with requests to compile drivers everyday.

I am looking on this forem to find posts of which wifi cards seem to work properly.

Thx,

Vito
PS many thanks to all developers and BarryK for 217.1 - my only linux is Puppy going forward

DonT

#13 Post by DonT »

Kirk,

I was pressed for time with my last post (hotspot was closing). To answer your last post more completely this time, I did look at SeaMonkey to see if there were any changes in 2.17.1. I ran [about:config] and looked at the networking toggles, but there appeared to be nothing different configured with Seamonkey in 2.17.1 (still 1.0.8) as compared to previous Puppy versions.

It's still hot and humid here in the Panhandle. We need a cool North wind right now.

Dougal,

Thanks, I found the new Network Wizzard update that tempestuous posted. Somehow, I didn't see that post. I try to check those posts often since we saw that 2.17.1 had this redirection problem. Just missed it.

Anyway, I installed Network-Wizzard-Aug24.pet in Puppy 2.17.1 and ran the new wizzard using the rt2500 module. New interface took a bit to get used to. Ran it twice (rebooted) and the "Use This Profile" did not yield a live network each time. Ran the "test" button and the live network was then recognized. It did this both times. The Network Wizzard each time then acquired an IP address and connected. RutilT showed a connection. Preamble was set to "Auto" (not "Long" as in the previous versions of Puppy). But, the browser was not redirected to a login page. Could do nothing online.

I know that trial and error is the backbone of progress, so I'm not frustrated by this. Puppy 2.16.1 is such a rock solid performer right out of the box. Great to fall back on that while the redirection problem in 2.17.1 is sorted out.

Vito,

The hotspot here is open and I tested the NetGear PCMCIA card using the Puppy ath_pci module. Did not do any encryption, although WEP is available. I wanted to stay "open" to decrease the parameters involved in searching the redirection problem. As you experienced, Puppy 2.17.1 with the ath_pci module will connect, but at our hotspot it will not redirect to a login page as the previous Puppy versions did.

Thanks again to all,

DonT

DonT

#14 Post by DonT »

Gentlemen, I was wondering about something?

Would the kernel change have anything to do with this redirection problem? From BarryK's development blog, I saw that the kernel for Puppy 2.16 was 2.6.18.1 and the kernel for 2.17 is 2.6.21.1, but, did this latest kernel start in Puppy 2.17 or 2.17.1? Just a thought.

Thanks,

DonT

(Just looked at my previous post. Kirk, I don't know where the emoticon came from in the first paragraph. Did the text on Geany and pasted it. Lost a parenthesis and gained an emoticon in the process, I guess. Anyway, the emoticon should have been an "8".

SirDuncan

#15 Post by SirDuncan »

I am having the same problem with my wireless connection on the college network. As with Don, I should get redirected to a login page, but I am not. With 2.17 I would get an IP address. When I upgraded to 2.17.1 (in hopes of correcting the problem) I found I could no longer do even that. I then downgraded back to 2.17, and now I can't get an IP with it either.

I have updated both DHCPCD and the Network Wizard, but neither has worked. I'm really going to have a problem if I can't use wireless on campus since the dorm is the only place I have a wired connection.

My card uses the hostap_cs module, and I am running a frugal install.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

jonyo

Re: wifi atheros connecting

#16 Post by jonyo »

I had the same deal but with a netgear ma401ra. Connects Ok to open wifi but not to wep. My understanding is a firmware fix may work & I might try it. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2709#92709

Would a USB wifi dongle or adapter work for you?
vito wrote:I have found that when using the atheros pcmcia wifi card driver (orinoco) the wifi in 217.1 or 217 connects only in cases where there is no wep encryption. Once WEP comes into play the wifi card sees the access point but does not connect. When using Ruit in tandem with the connect gui from Puppy's desktop my laptop got into some type of loop and crashed. I also tried an orinoco driver rc13 newly compiled by Tempestuous with the same results. There is yet another newer driver listed as orinocorc15 available but I don't have a means to compile this and don't wish to use up Tempestuous with requests to compile drivers everyday.

I am looking on this forem to find posts of which wifi cards seem to work properly.

Thx,

Vito
PS many thanks to all developers and BarryK for 217.1 - my only linux is Puppy going forward

DonT

#17 Post by DonT »

SirDuncan,

Just as a test, I might offer that you try dropping back to 2.16.1 and run it as a live cd on your dorm hotspot and see what happens. I would be interested to know. Four of us use 2.16.1 right out of the box loading the rt2500, atheros_pci, and zydas modules and at this open hotspot the browser properly redirects to the login page. Works great. We only have the redirection problem with the 2.17.1 version.

Thanks for your post. I was beginning to wonder if others also had a login redirection problem with the 2.17.1 version. I suspected that there was since there were around 700 reads of the thread, but wasn't sure. Thanks again.

jonyo,

Sorry, my fault. After reading through my previous posts, I think I was not altogether clear about the login thing. The hotspot here is open and the login redirection at the hotspot is only to enter an ID to authorize the wifi account. The login is not for WEP or WPA encryption. And, after reading your post I realized that I had not made that clear. Thanks.

Have a good day, both.

DonT

SirDuncan

#18 Post by SirDuncan »

Don,
It could just be bad luck on my part, but 2.16.1 did not work either. The last version I used with the campus redirection (and therefore I know it works) was 2.13. I didn't use 2.14, and by the time 2.15 (which was really just 2.14 with style) came out I was out of school. 2.16 came out during my hiatus, so I missed it.

It aggravates me that I can get an IP and not connect to the internet. If I was at home I could get my old 2.13 CD and use that for wireless, but I will have to wait until I visit home.

Interestingly, I notice that in regular 2.17 it is using the orinoco driver instead of the hostap driver. I doubt it makes a difference, but it is interesting to note.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

DonT

#19 Post by DonT »

SirDuncan,

Yes, I know what you mean. It is a little less than thrilling not to get the browser redirection to login after successfully going through the wifi connecting process. And, from my experience, Puppy 2.15 through 2.17 would redirect to a login page. It appears that there is just something different in the 2.17.1 version.

And, interestingly, I just tested 2.20 alpha on the open hotspot here at Books-A-Million and it would not redirect, either. So, whatever has changed in 2.17.1 that caused the problem of redirection is also still in 2.20 alpha.

But, I tested Puppy 2.20 alpha on my WPA wireless account (and using proxy server) at the college today, and it connected and surfed nicely. However, no browser redirection was required for the login. The login for account ID and password is just a small network menu, and not a browser page. And, yes, it is a little frustrating to be able to configure and connect a WPA encrypted account this afternoon, yet not be able to get a browser redirection login on an open hotspot here tonight. Using Puppy 2.16.1 to post this.

All the changes in the new Puppy 3.0 that BarryK has come up with will probably keep Kirk, Dougal, Tempestuous and the other programming heavyweights busy for a while. So, I'm going to do some more Googling on the "long preamble" issue. Don't know if that is what the redirection problem is, but it's the only change that I can see.

Just a suggestion, if you could find out what preamble is required for your campus wireless router, it might help narrow things down a bit. Any of your friends running Windows might be able to use their wireless card configuration utility to possibly see which preamble is configured. And, Network Stumbler (in Windows) has a filtering menu that you can toggle to see if the wifi router has a short or long preamble requirement.

Again, I don't know if that's the problem. I just started at what I could see was different.

And, although I don't know, the orinoco/hostap driver difference you mentioned might be significant. As you know, all it takes sometimes in problem solving is just a clue. This is a good forum, with talented people, and there has to be a solution. After all the browser redirection worked like a charm in the earlier versions.

Thanks for the post.

DonT

SirDuncan

#20 Post by SirDuncan »

I did some experimentation and found that the hostap driver was the reason why 2.17.1 would not get an IP. When I forced 2.17 to use hostap instead the orinoco, it lost the ability to get an IP as well. Still, the orinoco driver won't redirect, thus I am still tethered to the wall.

As far as I can tell, there is no preamble option on my card. That doesn't discount it as a possible culprit, but it means my card can't be configured to us a different preamble than it is using now.

When I was trying to help someone else with a network problem today, I came across a potential work around for our problem. It's a long shot, but I'm going to try. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Didn't work. Like I said, it was a long shot. Somebody on an Ubuntu forum had a similar problem and fixed it by using a static IP set within the accepted range of the router. Unfortunately, it didn't do me any good.