A few bits of software I'm looking for

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
xxsolusxx

A few bits of software I'm looking for

#1 Post by xxsolusxx »

The package manager and the dotpups link keep giving me (404) ERRORS>.>

I'm using puppy on a laptop and have found no batter meter. Does anyone know how I can install one? I'm new top Linux and don't understand the reference to different forms, so I feel uncomfortable downloading software like I would for my windows os

also, i'm looking for some sort of wireless uitility similar to what my card came with (which I can access in wondows)- something to shopw the differen to signals and link strength/quality

A few other pieces I'd like to find are a way to make the windows key open the puppy menu at bottom-left, access to display settings (screen brightness and the like), and features to set the screen to blank out after idle time (i THOUGTHT i saw something like that. but I can't find it)

SirDuncan

#2 Post by SirDuncan »

The Windows key does open the menu in the IceWM window manager. I can't remember if it works in JWM. I'll check later. The screen brightness and contrast keys on my laptop work fine without the need to install anything. If you're looking for an onscreen solution, I don't know of any off the top of my head. Screen blanking should be on by default, but it may have gotten turned off while you were playing with things (the best way to learn). I think it may be start menu > Control Panel > Gxset X Settings. Then go to the screen saver tab and adjust the delay and make sure it is turned on (should be by default). There is also a "use screen blanking" option.

For wireless, I believe both WAG and RUtil show the signal strength and they come with Puppy. You can locate them in the start menu under network. Sadly, neither of them show a signal strength on the task bar like most of their Windows counterparts.

Do a forum search for the battery meter. I remember using one before, but I didn't find it useful enough to reinstall it when I reloaded the system last time. I just have a feel for how long the battery lasts.

With the package manager, is your internet connection set up? I know it sounds silly, but you'd be surprised how many I start up a fresh Puppy install and forget to set up my networking.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

xxsolusxx

#3 Post by xxsolusxx »

From what I gatyher, I'm in jwm... what is ICEWM? Can you toggle between them? I've never used anything outside of windows (save a few sessions on mac), and I'm quite lost...

I see no 'control panel' in the start menu? I did find it under desktop, though ^.^

No wag, but I foung RutilT

** packetmanager now working- I gave puppy a scoobie snack :p

Dougal

Re: A few bits of software I'm looking for

#4 Post by Dougal »

xxsolusxx wrote:a way to make the windows key open the puppy menu at bottom-left
This is simple. I posted how to do it in the thread "suggestions for Puppy 2.18". It will open the menu at the top-left (I don't know of a way to control that).
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

xxsolusxx

#5 Post by xxsolusxx »

that's a long thread to look through... any idea what page it's on?

trapster

#6 Post by trapster »

As far as your battery goes, maybe Here might help.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

SirDuncan

#7 Post by SirDuncan »

Sorry, I was in 2.14 when I wrote that. You are correct, it is under 'desktop' in 2.17. WAG does appear to be absent in 2.17, sorry to mislead you.

IceWM is another window manager like JWM, except IceWM looks nicer. It's very similar to the difference between Windows 9x and XP/Vista. You can't exactly toggle between them, you have to shutdown X and start it with the other WM. Exit to prompt (or hit ctrl+alt+backspace) and then type "xwin jwm" to start JWM or "xwin icewm" to start IceWM. You have to install IceWM to do this, of course. There are quite afew other WMs to choose from as well. You can find many of them, including IceWM, as DotPups.

The link Trapster gives leads to the thread discussing the battery monitor I was thinking about.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

Dougal

#8 Post by Dougal »

xxsolusxx wrote:that's a long thread to look through... any idea what page it's on?
I don't have the time to look through it and find where -- it was around page 5, I think. Just browse backwards and look for my posts, or do a forum search for "windows button".
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind