Used Xubunu to frugal install 2.17 but Puppy won't boot.

Booting, installing, newbie
madddonkey255

Used Xubunu to frugal install 2.17 but Puppy won't boot.

#1 Post by madddonkey255 »

I tried using a Livecd to install puppy but that didn't work so I used Xubuntu and created a new partition then transfered the files listed at http://puppylinux.net/hard-puppy.htm onto the partition hda3.
After that I edited the grub list to:
title Puppy Linux 2.17
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd
initrd (hd0,2)/initrd.gz

When I try to load it I have to manually enter grub(xubuntu automatically loads) then load puppy linux. When I try to load it it fails at mounting /dev/hda
After some lines talking about detecting devices I get the error message
mount: mounting /dev/hda on /pup_ro1 failed.

Then it goes on to mount hdb, hdc, etc and those all fail. I'm curious as to why it's failing and how to fix that. Or possibly some other directions that install it in a different way.
Thanks

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Could you check the error message again? It would make more sense if it said
"mounting /dev/hda3 on /pup_ro1 failed." Also, I wasn't clear on what you meant by "I have to manually enter grub(xubuntu automatically loads)". Do you just mean that you have to pick Puppy off the menu?

Next, check the other two partitions for left-over bits of Puppy from your first attempt at installing. In particular, look for the file pupxxx.sfs

FInally, boot Puppy off the CD, go to a console and run the commands "probedisk" and "probepart". When you boot up, you may need to type the line "puppy pfix=ram" during the short initial pause. Report back with the results.

In earlier versions, the GRUB entry needed to be "PMEDIA=idehd" in upper case. This may no longer be true, but it's one more thing to try.

madddonkey255

#3 Post by madddonkey255 »

I double-checked and it's definitely hda instead of hda3.

When I say I have to manually load it I mean that it usually just skips grub and just loads xubuntu but I have to hit esc to load grub first.

Tried changing it to PMEDIA and it still gets the same error message.

No-can-do with the Live cd because for some reason every time I try and boot with a live cd I just get error messages, I've tried different versions and different cds and none work.

I haven't installed puppy yet, and I used Killdisk to completely wipe the harddrive yesterday just in case there was something else affecting it, no effect.
Thanks
Nolan

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I think that you need to back up and figure out why you can't boot off a Puppy CD. Supposedly, the Xubuntu CD booted properly. What messages do you get from the Puppy CD?

madddonkey255

#5 Post by madddonkey255 »

Yeah both Knoppix and Xubuntu worked, you can see what messages I get from the cd here:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=21051

I tried on that for a while and just figured it might be easy to ignore the cdrom and try doing the frugal install, apparently not.
Thanks,
Nolan